Re: Walking Dead Season 2 Official Discussion Thread.

@Ghosty- I'm viewing it the other way.  She was creeping along, and no one wanted to shoot her.  Rick slowly walked up, aimed, and methodically gunned her down.  Like they said in 'Full Metal Jacket,' "That's hardcore man, hardcore."

^ Good point Az.  I'm not saying Rick is a wimp for taking her out, and definitely the way he did it was gutsy.  I just don't think it shows that Shane was a wus either though, for the reasons I already wrote.

I'm interested in seeing if Rick goes off on Shane come the second half of the season.  He had just negotiated a compromise with Hershel (the group stays away from the barn and lets Hershel deal with the walkers, and the group gets to stay on the farm) only for Shane to flip and blow the whole thing.  I liked that for all his talk of doing what needed to be done, Shane wasn't able to put Sophia out of her misery but Rick -- the guy Shane said wasn't built for this new world -- did. 

Suddenly we have a very complicated dynamic; Rick has both done what needed to be done AND gone against the deal he'd just worked out with Hershel, Shane is in the uncomfortable position of perhaps realizing that despite all his talk about shutting off his emotions and getting the job done, he was completely unable to do so and -- according to snippets revealed of next season -- now that he's seen the truth, Hershel seems to take the stance that there is no hope, period.  So there's no telling how he's going to act.

For all the complaints of "slowness" this first half of the season, so far it's accomplished more and set up more interpersonal conflict than the entirety of the fantastic first season.

I can't wait 'til February.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-12-03 14:55:14)

^^
Like your Santa hat.

Ghostseeker wrote:

^ Good point Az.  I'm not saying Rick is a wimp for taking her out, and definitely the way he did it was gutsy.  I just don't think it shows that Shane was a wus either though, for the reasons I already wrote.

i don't think Shane is a coward, he like the rest of the group was shocked to see Sophia come out of the barn, it wasn't  fear it was  genuine surprise and Rick as a leader should was the first one to snap out of it. The thing about this whole series is the characters, you  care about this group of people because all of them are likeable in some way and that includes Shane. I'm sure as the series  progresses some of these characters will be killed off which will give us some more and even more effective "Emotional moments".

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-12-03 16:35:21)

I made the mistake of browsing an article a couple weeks back which spills Shane's fate in the comics.  I've never read the comics, and don't want to because I'm already hooked on the show in its stead, but my understanding is that the show has taken a lot of liberties with the comics, including some drastic departures, and I'm hoping Shane's fate is one of them. 

In a show full of interesting characters Shane, despite his flaws (or maybe even because of them) is my hands-down favorite, and I hope the show keeps him around for as long as possible.

Wow,  I was really shocked and sad when the little girl came out of the barn.   Actually I was waiting for Hershal's wife or other relative instead, so it caught me by surprise.  So sad, with her mom crying in the background!

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2011-12-03 21:46:25)

LoudLon wrote:

Shane stuff

This will teach you to do that high falutin' readin'!

I also no nothing of the comics, but I can see what you are talking about.  It's like the book series of True Blood and the HBO show- vastly different.  So I wouldn't get to worried about them straying away from the source.  Though I go with Rick, probably because I've spent a bunch of my life being the guy trying to keep everyone together and working together; both family and work.

Now Walking and AHS are gone for a few months; at least Burn Notice is back.  Any word on Justified?

TV spots began a couple weeks ago.  New season of Justified's coming in February. smile

I also find I have a lot in common with the character Rick, for the exact reasons you point out -- he's the glue that holds everything together, which is my role in this swamp of dysfunction I call "my family."  Not to mention my whole "so moralistic that even I can't live up to it" thing. lol  As such, Rick's nothing new to me, at least as a character.  Shane, on the other hand is flaw upon flaw, conflict upon conflict, dysfunction upon dysfunction.  That makes him interesting to me.

Last edited by LoudLon (2011-12-04 12:03:35)

LoudLon wrote:

TV spots began a couple weeks ago.  New season of Justified's coming in February. smile

Excellent!  Thanks bro.  February is going to cram my DVR it looks like.  Crappy doodle, I have 9 hours on it right now because I spent this past week just doing productive things like looking for work.  lol  At least I have today off with no good football on.

Lon, what do you thing about the order for the movies for the 17th?  No one gave an opinion, so I thought I would ponder your twisted views.

Last edited by azathoth (2011-12-04 12:02:26)

Ha!  You quoted me as I was adding onto my post. lol

Anyhoo, I'm cool with the skedge.  It's all good. smile

^^
Alrighty then.  I'll be posting the announcement later.
I do agree Shane is interesting, especially when he decided not to leave the group.  The only thing that really bugs me is his continuing bugging of Lori.  That is a fixation that I thing will turn out badly.  It seems  he is torn between survival of the group vs. his personal survival vs. Lori.  And then there was the pause in his anger/rage when the girl came out.  Yes, very interesting.

Finally got around to watching the finale, heck of a way to end this half of the season! I loved it! big_smile

Hopefully when February rolls around the season will pick up with the same intensity and awesomeness of the previous two seasons (er, well, first season and a half).

Last edited by The Creature (2011-12-04 16:26:53)

I enjoyed the 2nd season so much that I am gonna have to re-watch it again.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-12-04 19:54:47)

^ Interesting idea to post about other Threads in here.  smile

Well now this just makes no sense!  big_smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2011-12-04 19:57:37)

azathoth wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Shane stuff

Now Walking and AHS are gone for a few months; at least Burn Notice is back.  Any word on Justified?

We still have 3 more episodes of AHS

Ghostseeker wrote:

^ Interesting idea to post about other Threads in here.  smile

And to think I wasn't even sipping spiked eggnog. I'm blaming Mrs-Udog for the distraction. big_smile

doc_notter wrote:
azathoth wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Shane stuff

We still have 3 more episodes of AHS

Ah, thank you, for some reason I thought it was shut down now.  Stoopid Monkey.

It was so sweet to see Sophia creep out and it meant lots to see Rick do her in!

Other than that this season has been borwing as hell glad the mid was SOMETHING I sure hope the next clink works cause this has been a bad shit.... I can only guess that the 2nd half of the 2nd season will be mind blowing! yes?

AZ dont let your primate primemate ha give me your children I have plans!

azathoth wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Excellent!  Thanks bro.

Oops!  I misspoke.  Was just watching the season finale of Sons of Anarchy when I caught another TV spot for Justified.  Turns out, the new season actually starts on January 17th.

My bad!

^^
Even better!

meant to say this before but never got round to it. It's great to see Scott Wilson in the series as Herschel. He has to be one of the most under rated actors in the U.S and he has been around since the 1960's. he has always been one of my favourite most interesting actors and was an absolute revelation in a film i always harp on about on this forum and is one of my favourite films and in my opinion one of the greatest films ever made, namely " The Ninth Configuration" in which he gives a fantastic moving performance. he was also good in films such as " In Cold Blood", " The Grissom Gang", " The New Centurions" " Malone" and others. an actor who will never let you down and he is very very good in " The Walking Dead" as well. a very good actor.

We are loving this season, watched episode 7 last night, great ending can't wait to see what happens in Febuary.

I still think it should have been a six ep like the first..... the soapopers part of it gets boring!
They should have kept it tight.