Re: Walking Dead Season 2 Official Discussion Thread.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. The normal slow pacing but a lot of new developments in this episode that I think is going to be interesting how it plays out.

Spoilers here, as well (left click and drag below if you want the episode ruined for you):

I LOVED the end of this new episode.  Loved it, loved it, loved it.  Rick has always been the guy you could count on to make the calls you know are right, but that you might not have the nerve to do yourself, and he came through like fucking gangbusters.  There was no option but to tell the guys they couldn't come back to the farm; they had trouble written all over them, Rick saw it, and he knew there was only one way this situation was going to end. 

If you were smart enough to DVR this episode, rewatch the finale and you will literally see Rick's focus sharpen the second the guy starts talking about it not being fair that they're not welcome at the farm.  From that moment on Rick's every move was planned; notice after the guy gets behind the bar how Rick positions himself to where he can see the other guy behind him in the mirror behind the bar.  It might have looked like Rick was in a tight spot, but he was in complete control the entire time.  For all intents and purposes the two guys were dead the second the one started talking about it not being fair; it was just a matter of Rick waiting for them to make their move.     

And I think it's exactly what Rick needed.  He's been doubting himself so much the last couple episodes, losing faith in his ability to make the tough decisions, feeling guilty that despite trying to always do the right thing, bad things always happen as a result.  But he made the right choice this time.  The only choice, really.  These men had to die; if he hadn't killed them, they'd have gone to the farm with their own group and shit would have got ugly. 

And I love that Rick got to show how much of a bad ass he really is.  You gotta be good to take down two armed men single-handedly; but you gotta be super good to take down two armed men single-handedly when they're not both standing right in front of you.

END SPOILERS

As for Shane, he may be a prick now but only because he was pushed into being one by Lori and, later, Dale.  He may have sacrificed Otis, but it was the only way to save Carl's life.  He was right when he told Rick sending the group out find Sophie when everybody pretty much knew she was already dead (even if they didn't want to believe it) put everyone at risk.  It may have been honorable, but it was also strategically stupid, and dangerous. 

Mind you I'm not defending Shane, but I understand where he's coming from.  He's the closest thing the show has to a "villain," though I think that's an unfair label.  He wouldn't be so frustrated, angry and racked with guilt right now if he didn't care; it's hard to be angry, frustrated and guilty if you don't care.  He's overflowing with internal conflict and complexity, which is why he's still my favorite character in a show full of uncommonly interesting ones.  I know in the comics he's killed off relatively early on, but I hope he doesn't have the same fate in the show.  It needs him, every bit as much as it needs Rick.

God, I fucking LOVE this show!

Ok Lon, for what it's worth, which is nothing...I TOTALLY agree with pretty much everything you wrote, even the invisible part.  Right on.  That is exactly how I feel about all of it.  You just have his ability to convey it with words.  smile

Just watched the ending again...awesome.  I was not as big a fan of this show as many here were, but it really won me over with the mid season 2 finale.  This episode has kept it going.  Probably my favorite show ever was The Shield, and this is reminding me of it in ways.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-02-13 00:07:20)

About Shane- the thing I didn't like about him sacrificing Otis was that he left him to be eaten alive.  Pump one through his heart.

Possible spoiler-
And damn did Rick bring down the hammer.
End spoiler

Much better episode, I felt it was lagging towards the end of the last 1/2 season, except for the barn scene, of course.

edit-
Comic Book Men was interesting.  I like that the guy named Bryan is the crazy looking one.  Keep that name strong, bro!  Back when I was in NJ, I lived about 5 miles away from Jay & Bob's Secret Stash.  Shame I never went there.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-02-13 01:32:06)

^^^ Yeah, I checked that out, too.  I'd been looking forward to it, being a Kevin Smith fan and all, and I thought it was enjoyable enough.  Kind of like a comic store version of Pawn Stars, but with a more entertaining and movie- and comic-savvy group of guys.

^^
Got a kick when Bryan started smashing Ming's plates, and some random dude gets all up in his grill about it.  If they can keep up the stuff that doesn't revolve around the pawning aspect, it could be a fun watch.  If it turns into Comic Pawn Stars, I'm not enough of a nerd to keep watching.

Yeah, I thought the buy/trade bits slowed it down, which is what kept me from really enjoying it, and why I thought it was merely decent but not great.  And yeah, the old dude who got up in Brian's grill after he smashed Ming's plates, I actually thought that was admirable.  You don't see folks step up when they see someone being bullied these days.  Maybe he only did it because the camera was there, who knows, but he did it, and I liked that.

I did notice a couple mistakes in their comics conversations though.  Jack Kirby had nothing to do with Spider-Man, that was all Stan Lee and Steve Ditko!

Ghostseeker wrote:

Probably my favorite show ever was The Shield, and this is reminding me of it in ways.

I need to DL that series.  Back when it was on the air I was 2nd shift supervisor at a homeless shelter and very, very rarely got to watch an episode.  I think I saw maybe four or five during its entire run, but each one was engrossing and the performances were excellent across the board, particularly Michael Chiklis and Walt Goggins.  But then you'd expect excellence from the same guy (Kurt Sutter) who also brought us one of my current favorite shows on TV, Sons of Anarchy.

Last edited by LoudLon (2012-02-13 04:21:57)

Missed the Kirby/Spidey thing.  Never watched the Shield.  Guy was over-the-top and/or corrupt, something like that?  I think I skipped because I could see that just by watching the local news.  (I'm one of those people who likes to see the good guys win once in a while.)

Working on the Battle Story, um, story.  lol

I reallyliked the last episode at the barn.. ( watched it again tonight ) Im waiting to see the next episode and I am so ancious !!  I agree about Shane being labeled 'the villain' when in fact he is making the hard choices some would have to face surviving in a world with zombies. Lori did make things worse by cutting him off and acting like she hated him when she begging him to lay her down one minute then the dutiful wife when Rick returned. She could have ended things better by sitting down with Shane and  talking about it. She could have learned Shanes side and how he was right to assume Rick was dead .
Shane isnt THAT bad when you think about it..  Id be pissed too. especially having to pretend he has no feelings.
Lori seems to be projexting her guilt into anger against Shane. it takes two to tango.

I don't know if I would have wasted time looking for Sophia.As a mother I would have wanted them to keep searching of course, but Its really true what Shane said about the first 48hrs ...If you dont find them within the first 48 hours then you are probably looking for a body . throw in the zombies and the odds of survival are worse.
Im glad to see Rick taking charge and doing what seemed so hard for the others-killing zombie  Sophia.

I like Rick and see him as a  good leader.  but I find the bad boy Shane very appealing. ( shameless I know ) lol  I really hope his character doesnt get killed off.. he is essential to the storyline and it wouldnt be the same without him.. at least not at this point
I really want the comics.. been shopping around for a good price on them online

Twas a good start to part 2 of season 2. The bar scene being my favorite. Rick stood tall again and showed he's a leader by example when taking out the two strangers mercilessly, and w/out conscious.

As for Shane; I like his character, but the guys a rat IMO. He's a survivor no doubt. I believe he does what serves him best, not what's best for the group. I think Shane will be around for quite a while because his character is interesting to say the least.

What a great surprise it was with the new show Comic Book Men. Kevin, and Bryan were hilarious and i couldn't help from laughing out loud at the plate smashing scene.

I liked last night's episode, it was decent. Rick and Carl are already starting to grow cold. Although I still don't understand why they killed off Sophia (and dragged it out looking for her over how many episodes, waste of time!) , because *minor spoiler* she's one of the longest lasting characters in the comic, but ah well.

I do have to admit the 'barn scene' was pretty powerful stuff though! Having read all of the comics, it is neat to be surprised during the events of the show. Well provided it's done well, and not a time killer like the example mentioned above...

You should go back and watch the first half of this season again.  I've seen lots of folks complain about how slow they were, that it felt dragged out, but every episode was about planting seeds for future conflict.  That's why I love this show; it demands its audience have an attention span.  If it was just mindless zombie splatter action in every episode it would grow old REAL quick.  That the zombie apocalypse is only the setting and not the main point is just the icing on the dramatic cake, as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally, how long do you folks think they've been on the farm?  I was thinking about it last night, and in order for Carl to have gotten there on their first day with a gunshot in the stomach and then be pretty much healed and good to go now, they've had to have been there at least, what, a month and a half, maybe two months?  It sounds about right to me, and I think justifies the slower feel of the first half of the season, as well as gives enough time for emotions to fester, frustration to blossom into raging anger and for the girl to fall in love with Glen.

Slow moving first half of the season?  Maybe.  But very far from uneventful.

^^
My fear was that all the setup would not be realized.  That's the type of thing that kills a lot of network shows- spending time on the characters for later payoffs.  Not everyone has the patience to for character development, they want "Ooh, shiny" now (quick, Puppy, squeaky toy!).  And I'd say 2 months is about a right time frame for getting healed up.

azathoth wrote:

Not everyone has the patience to for character development, they want "Ooh, shiny" now (quick, Puppy, squeaky toy!).

That's what American Horror Story is for. lol

^^
No, AHS is for, "Look, maid's boobies!"  (They're not shiny)  big_smile

Great episode!!
Not much to say since everybody said what I was thinking.
Shane is totally the villan. And sometimes I think he is an ass.
At first it pissed me off that he would let the walkers out of the barn to blow them all away.
Rick was trying his hardest to follow the rules so that everyone can stay and not piss off the old man. And I personally thought that Shane ruined it for everybody.
But after that bar scene, looks like old man was impressed.
They might get to stay after all.
But it was nice seeing Rick grow some balls big_smile

If that makes sense

Good episode...The scene in the bar was by far the best part.  And showing all the bodies piled in the back of the truck like it's no big deal, then an arm falls off and Andrea just casually goes to grab it.  The whole episode seems to be showing how the group is growing hard from the situation.

^^^ Andrea herself in particular.  I guess Shane jarred something loose when he was all up in there; she's gone from cowering and quivering to a warrior woman in the making.

See that folks?  That's what they call a "character arc."  It's kind of a big deal.

Ya, she is going to be one tough cookie soon.

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Andrea herself in particular.  I guess Shane jarred something loose when he was all up in there; she's gone from cowering and quivering to a warrior woman in the making.

See that folks?  That's what they call a "character arc."  It's kind of a big deal.

excellent point

Im loving how the characters are evolving

LoudLon wrote:

excellent point

Im loving how the characters are evolving

One more time, Mis, just in case anyone missed it. lol

Sorry been awhile, anyway i haven't read all the pages but the song in the end there, was that Clutch? im pretty sure it was, though im out of the scene blah blah anyways great episode the next 6 weeks wont be fast enough

Had to share...funny

*Possible Spoiler*

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzcs4 … o1_500.jpg

Edit: removed image tag because I realized the potential for spoiler.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-02-14 21:22:05)