Topic: Television vs. Movies

Just a few years ago, I didn't watch a lot on tv. A surge of over-dramatic and certainly scripted "reality shows" turned my stomach. I just lost any desire to watch the crap on tv, granted I gave many shows a chance and even found a few interesting ones like House. In House I found one of the best anti-hero characters ever. But still, I generally found movies to satisfy my entertainment needs more effectively, and of course there was no commitment like with long drawn out television dramas.

Now, however I find myself following multiple television dramas and thoroughly enjoying the experience.. And with a flood of new horror themed tv shows hitting the tube, its even more appealing. Going back a few years my television addiction started with True Blood, which feature fascinating characters and an addicting story line. Since then its been another great s.how after another, not to mention the ones that came before true blood. Shows like Lost and 24 seem to have started this big budget, more theatrical approach to television.

I have always been a sucker for mini-series' and epic type stores anyways so with these new and
interesting dramas which range from vampires and the supernatural to biker gangs and vengeful
cowboys in a lawless land, it's no surprise I find myself turning to television more these days than to movies. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a 90 minute movie, for a short, conclusive story. But if writers can build enough interesting characters and a intriguing andlittle evolving story like we get in Breaking Bad. Or octane fueled action with crazy plot twists nearly every week in Sons of Anarchy. Don't forget the excellent emotional drama that we get from The Walking Dead, not to mention the zombie action! I'm also really digging the crazy and creepy American Horror Story.

So how about you guys? Do you agree, do you find yourselves watching more television lately than ever?

Re: Television vs. Movies

Not much of a fan of sitcoms or most reality shows either. Overall I don't have a lot of time to watch tv in general, but when I do it's ESPN, to stay up with sports. Over the last few yrs I have been watching a lot of History Channel, NatGeo, Science channel.

2 of my favorite shows are: Pawn Stars, American Pickers.

^But you atleast follow the walking dead right?

The shows I follow...

True Blood
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
Hell on Wheels (thought the pilot was very good)
Weeds (don't like the direction they have taken though, and Nancy became annoyingly stupid!)
American Horror Story

^"But you at least follow the walking dead right?"

Damn straight!!
Missed watching Hell on Wheels. Wife & I are both wanting to see it.
Weeds: Great show! Nancy's sooo hot. Agree she's getting kinda loopy.
American Horror Story: Yet to catch an episode, but will eventually. I did tho get a piece of wallpaper I won as a prize.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-11-07 22:38:06)

Hey chainsaw your first post has too many words for mwa

I hate tv seies the only one I watch is the walking dead and befor that I never had a series...

thank god for the walking dead

ChainSaW80 wrote:

^But you atleast follow the walking dead right?

The shows I follow...

True Blood
Breaking Bad
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
Hell on Wheels (thought the pilot was very good)
Weeds (don't like the direction they have taken though, and Nancy became annoyingly stupid!)
American Horror Story

That's a great list of shows...It's weird how there was nothing worth watching for so long and all of a sudden there are too many to keep up with!

@UD oh my God, Nancy is goddess!!! LOL that's what keeps me watching I guess!

I'll always be a movie lover first and foremost, but there are some shows that I follow regularly:

- Dexter
- The Walking Dead
- Sons of Anarchy
- House
- 30 Rock
- Psych
- Justified
- The Daily Show
- The Colbert Report
- The Office (James Spader's doing well so far but a Steve Carrel's shoes will never fully be filled)

- American Horror Story (still waiting for it to slow down a bit; good at base, but they're moving things along far too quickly and epileptic editing style irritates me)

- SNL (even when it's bad it's good for at least a couple good belly laughs and the political humor is almost always top-notch)

I used to watch American Chopper regularly but I had my fill of the Junior vs Senior stuff long ago.  I always thought the dysfunctional family dynamic was entertaining but now the show's just one episode after another of pissing and moaning.  It's depressing now, not fun.

Can't think of anything else, except for long-cancelled shows I still watch regularly (Mad About You, Friends, Tales from the Darkside, etc).

I also forgot to mention, Colbert Report & The Daily Show.

I watch movies mainly. dont have the ablity or want to keep up with shows. also dont get much tv time till the little one is in bed.

the only shows i watch every week on tv

ncis
ncis los angeles
hawaii five-o
sons of guns
storage wars
walking dead
hell on wheels
burn notice
2 broke girls
extreme makeover home edition
house hunters
house hunters international
TMZ
beavis and butthead

Last edited by daxter (2011-11-08 19:22:48)

i a re-watching the second season of x files now i think that is better than 90% of tv nowadays

Here is what I watch regularly:

Trueblood
Supernatural
Dexter
The Walking Dead
Lost Girl
Todd and the Book of Pure Evil
American Horror Story
Big Bang Theory
How I met your mother

...I think I will try out Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy also.

.....Old shows I still watch are Buffy, Angel, Friday the 13th, and Friends smile

Breaking Bad is amazing...mite be to slow for some but I love it and the directing is top notch!

I hardly watch any TV.. I have a short attention span i suppose.. there are also too many different types of films to watch.. Film style is more diverse than that of TV I find...

Nevertheless, here are the shows I do like:

Twin Peak
The Young Ones
Monkey Magic
The Simpsons
Freaks and Geeks
Beavis and Butthead
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Buffy (the early stuff)
Seinfeld

Last edited by Ms45 (2011-11-13 04:52:22)

todays t.v i find truly appalling! all reality and so called "Talent" shows. British t.v has been mostly shit for this millenium imo and is getting worse.the amount of programmes i watch you can count on one hand. " The Walking Dead" " The Simpsons", the occasional old episode of some comedy show, the occasional football match and that's it. don't even watch much on sky movies because i've eithier seen them or have them on dvd. thank god for dvd!

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2011-11-13 05:31:33)

todays t.v i find truly appalling! all reality and so called " Talent" shows. British t.v now and for the past decade or so has been mostly shit. programmes i watch you can count on the fingers of one hand. i watch The Walking Dead and the simpsons, maybe the occaisonal old comedy show and that's about it. don't even watch sky movies that much anymore as films they show i've eithier seen or have a dvd copy of. even the wife doesn't watch much  t.v she only watches Bones and Desperate Housewifes., the occaisional old comedy t.v show and some wildlife stuff.Andy watches the most t.v .

You lovers of TV Series kill me/// make me laugh too

No TV has ever comeback like sinfeld

I love Those were the days.. thats how I compare

I'll always prefer movies, but there have been, and are, a number of TV shows I'm big on.  Personally I think the best shows on TV right now are all original shows on cable.  Stuff like:

Sons of Anarchy (FX)
Justified (FX)
Burn Notice (USA)
Psych (USA)
The Walking Dead (AMC)
Dexter (Showtime)
Nurse Jackie (Showtime)

And then there are a few on regular TV I like:

30 Rock
The Office
House (though I really miss Lisa Edelstein as Cuddy -- show's not the same at all without her)

I'm still...still, still, still...waiting for American Horror Story to pull its head out of its ass.  So much potential but it's so slap-dash, and the writers seem to be throwing in everything -- including the kitchen sink -- that they can to try and be controversial and shocking.  It's that kind of jarring, desperate sensationalism that is really holding this series back from really drawing you in.  The actors are all capable, especially Jessica Lange, who is the best part of the show IMO, but the story and execution are seriously tripping them up, it seems to me.  If the makers would stop assuming viewers are short-attention-spanned idiots, this show could really kick some ass.

But I digress.  I'm also a big fan of both The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.  I love how they send-up and satirize self-important, dipshit politicians and national media.  Fuck the news.  I'll take Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert any day of the week (and do lol ).

^ Seinfeld is one of the greatest shows ever.  I can re watch those shows over and over again and laugh.

I'm enjoying the serials on my transistor radio, thank you very much

Me and Ghostseeker know the truth in it all ,,,,,,,,, thanks seekre