Topic: Favorite genre of music?

Just curious as to see what kind of music everybody was interested in. My favorite genre is definitely punk rock and my two favorite types of punk rock is street punk and then hardcore punk. I'll also name some of my favorite bands in those categories.

Street Punk:
The Casualties
Lower Class Brats
The Virus
GBH
Cheap Sex
The Exploited
Blanks 77
Chaos UK
Anti Nowhere League
A Global Threat
UK Subs

Hardcore Punk:
The Germs
Dead Kennedys
7 Seconds
Black Flag
Fear
Circle Jerks
SS Decontrol
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
D.O.A
Social Distortion

What kind of music do you guys like?

Re: Favorite genre of music?

i'm partial to metal my favourite band is slayer whenever i need to let off a little steam or to relax slayer is it. I also enjoy hatebreed, jungle rot, cannibal corpse, job for a cowboy, suicide silence, paradise lost, arch enemy, jasta, and many others. I also love the 80's stuff like journey, huey lewis and stuff like that.

80's music is great. My personal favorite era in music closely followed by the 70's.

I like stuff like The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Frank Zappa, The Doors, John Lennon..
That's my top tier. Other favorites of mine -
TOOl, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Black Sabbath (with Ozzy), Bob Marley, WHITE ZOMBIE!, Rob Zombie, Pearl Jam, Anvil, Led Zepplin, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Ramones, Iggy Pop & The Stooges, The Misfits (early stuff with Danzig),  Ani DiFranco (yes, I love this chick), Primus, Beck, Rage Against The Machine, Alice In Chains, The Who, and more recently The Grateful Dead, Captain Beyond, and Armageddon.

I'm also a big fan of the late 1960's psychedelic era of music. Love it.

Last edited by The Creature (2011-11-12 19:57:36)

HorrorAddict wrote:

Just curious as to see what kind of music everybody was interested in. My favorite genre is definitely punk rock and my two favorite types of punk rock is street punk and then hardcore punk. I'll also name some of my favorite bands in those categories.

Street Punk:
The Casualties
Lower Class Brats
The Virus
GBH
Cheap Sex
The Exploited
Blanks 77
Chaos UK
Anti Nowhere League
A Global Threat
UK Subs

Hardcore Punk:
The Germs
Dead Kennedys
7 Seconds
Black Flag
Fear
Circle Jerks
SS Decontrol
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
D.O.A
Social Distortion

All That plus The Misfits.

Nice. You have some great bands in there Creature.

Last edited by HorrorAddict (2011-11-12 10:40:15)

I Know smile

HORRORKID wrote:
HorrorAddict wrote:

Street Punk:
The Casualties
Lower Class Brats
The Virus
GBH
Cheap Sex
The Exploited
Blanks 77
Chaos UK
Anti Nowhere League
A Global Threat
UK Subs

Hardcore Punk:
The Germs
Dead Kennedys
7 Seconds
Black Flag
Fear
Circle Jerks
SS Decontrol
Bad Brains
Bad Religion
D.O.A
Social Distortion

All That plus The Misfits.

Oh of course. Misfits are my favorite band but since they're horror punk, I couldn't put them in with those categories.

how bout just the simple genre of Punk?

HORRORKID wrote:

how bout just the simple genre of Punk?

Well I put my favorite as punk rock but I just felt like organizing it into my favorite types.

Classic Rock/folk/blues/jazz/raggea all the way. In short TRUE music before consumerism gobbled it up.

Last edited by Vasquez (2011-11-24 18:52:56)

My music taste is really varied, I listen to a lot of metal type stuff, rock, love country music, and 80s and 90s stuff is my guilty pleasure smile Also listen to some pop music (Katy Perry etc) when the missus is around! The only thing I don't like or listen to is rap/RnB

"specialize" in 70s hard rock, metal and hardcore punk, but also damn partial to 60s garage and psychedelia, British Invasion stuff, Motown, funk, disco, roots music, dub and reggae, old school rap and even some industrial.
If it's done with heart, imagination and integrity I'll probably dig it.

I listen to bands like Talking Heads, Grateful Dead, Radiohead, U2, The White Stripes, Grand Funk Railroad, Alice Cooper, Klaatu, Nirvana, Boston, Tom Waits, the Sparks. I'm also partial to Alt-rock suck as Green Day, The Strokes, Muse, and The Killers (their early stuff). Lately I've been listening to the alt-rock band Foster the People. And on to one of my most favorite single artists, it's Weird Al. He's introduced the genre "style-parody", and he brings the comedy in music and the style to accordion. So overall I hope that covers it.

deadhorse13 wrote:

"specialize" in 70s hard rock, metal and hardcore punk, but also damn partial to 60s garage and psychedelia, British Invasion stuff, Motown, funk, disco, roots music, dub and reggae, old school rap and even some industrial.
If it's done with heart, imagination and integrity I'll probably dig it.

Have you ever seen the documentary American Hardcore?

yeah, I own it  LOL

the book is fantastic as well

70's and 80's Country is my favorite.  Like 80's and 90's pop.  Right now I am really digging Disco.  I love Cracker and Violent Femmes.

Here are the playlists on my Ipod...

Grunge- Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Mudhoney, The Melvins, Screaming Trees, Green River, NIN, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Hole, L7, Sonic Youth, Toadies

Metal- Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, Slayer, Anthrax, Avenged Sevenfold, Apocalyptica, Five Finger Death Punch, In Flames, Slipknot

Classic Rock-  Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Dio, Motley Crue, Scorpians,  Queensryche,  Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Guns N Roses, Led Zeppelin,

Alternative-  Foo Fighters, Dream Theater,  Audioslave, Black Keys, Our Lady Peace, Metric, Pixies, The Sheepdogs, Them Crooked Vultures, Green Day, Three Days Grace, Evanescence, Linkin Park, Radiohead, Rise Against, Black Veil Brides, Theory of a Deadman, Tool, Trews, Weezer

80s Punk- Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Cure, Billy Idol, Misfits, The Kinks, Dead Kennedys, The Stooges

Basically all forms of Rock smile

DirtyGirl wrote:

Grunge- Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Mudhoney, The Melvins, Screaming Trees, Green River, NIN, Mother Love Bone, Temple of the Dog, Hole, L7, Sonic Youth, Toadies

Wow...many of these make up the majority of my high school years. 

Dollar Bill by Screaming Trees is one of the greatest songs ever.  Was jamming to Temple not that long ago.

Oh, just wow...to be young again.

I forgot about rap. N.W.A and OFWGKTA are off the hook, dawg.

deadhorse13 wrote:

yeah, I own it  LOL

the book is fantastic as well

Yeah I love the movie but I still really need to get the book.

Favorite is probably punk as it is the one i know the best.. I like lots of stuff though.

Tripod wrote:

And on to one of my most favorite single artists, it's Weird Al. He's introduced the genre "style-parody", and he brings the comedy in music and the style to accordion. So overall I hope that covers it.

Tri- Have you ever listened to Steel Panther?  They are pretty funny...

Okay, first, smooth-jazz, especially when I'm on the road (I need music that keeps calm with all those idiots out there driving around).

Then other times when I'm in the house or walking around listening to my iPod...

Old School R&B (mostly bands)

Regular Jazz (fusion, B-Bop and sometimes big-band swing)

Blues (electric...acoustical every now and then)

Contemporary Gospel

Christian Rock

Old School Rap

Classic Rock

Smooth R&B

Country (contemporary)

Classical when I'm usually working at my desk (no opera though, for some reason I just can't get into it)

and when I really wanna chill, New Age Ambient

other than that, talk-radio, news, recorded lectures, debates and speeches.

Hard core gangsta Polka

Umpoppa cap in you’re a$$

I am going to recycle that joke until someone thinks it’s funny