Topic: Recipes

For the food lovers.
Post your own favorite recipes.  I'll get around to my own in a bit, but right now I'm asking if anyone has a good recipe for a yellowfin tuna steak.  I've looked up some stuff on the net, but I was wondering if any of you have a really tasty one that I can cook up for Vampy.

Please?  big_smile

Re: Recipes

I don't have any of my own, but looked over a few on the net and these caught my attn. Hope at least one catches yours?

For Baking or Grilling

4 tuna steaks (4 oz each)

¼ cup soy sauce

¼ cup orange juice

1 Tbsp. Lemon juice

2 Tbsp. Olive oil

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 Tbsp. Chopped fresh parsley

½ tsp ground black pepper

½ tsp fresh oregano, chopped

Place all ingredients except tuna in a large glass bowl. Mix well. Place the tuna into the marinade. Turn to completely coat the tuna steak. Cover and keep refrigerated for at least 30 minutes, turning half way through.

Your grill should be on high heat. Be sure to oil the grate. Cook the steaks for just about 5 or 6 minutes and turn and baste with marinade. Cook for an additional 5 or 6 minutes or until steak reaches your preferred doneness. Remember it is best served red inside. Be sure to discard remaining marinade.

The above recipe can also be used to bake the fish. Using the same ingredients and amounts, proceed with marinating process. Place in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy.

On your stovetop

Use a non reactive pan.

2 Tbsp. Olive oil

2 Tbsp. Butter

2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning

1 inch thick tuna steaks

Melt butter and olive oil in your skillet. Generously coat the tuna steak with the seasoning. Place the steak in the pan and cook over high heat for about 5 minutes. Turn the steak and cook for 5 minutes on the other side. The longer you cook it, the more highly seasoned it will be. This delicacy is enjoyed as blackened tuna along the Gulf Coast.

For pan searing the yellowfin tuna steaks can be marinated in with soy sauce, garlic and 1 tsp sugar. Cook in a frying pan over medium to high heat for about 3 minutes on each side.

Yellowfin Tuna with garlic pepper crust

4 8-ounce tuna steaks, 1 1/2-inch thick

1/2 Tbsp. salt

1/2 Tbsp. crushed black pepper

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped

Season the tuna steaks with crushed black pepper and salt.

Heat oil in a non-reactive skillet over high heat; add garlic.

Brown. Add tuna steaks and sear to desired level of doneness. Cook approx.

2 minutes on each side for rare center.

Yellowfin Tuna and Shrimp

1 Tbsp. paprika

1 Tbsp cayenne powder

1 teaspoon white pepper

1 Tbsp tumeric

1 teaspoon coriander

1 Tbsp cumin

4 rosemary sprigs

12 medium shrimp, peeled

4 8-ounce yellowfin tuna steaks

1 Tbsp olive oil

Combine spices.. Strip leaves from the lower portion of rosemary sprigs to make a skewer.

Thread skewer through shrimp Brush tuna steaks and shrimp with olive oil then coat liberally with spice mixture. Heat grill to high heat. Cook shrimp first for 2-3 minutes on each side until opaque. Place yellowfin tuna steaks on grill and cook to desired doneness.

Grilled yellow fin tuna with grilled pineapple salsa
Directions:
Ingredients

1 pineapple, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
    1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon
    4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks
    1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
    Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish

Brush the pineapple slices lightly with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then place the pineapple slices on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until softened slightly and nicely marked by the grill, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and allow to cool to room temperature. Dice the pineapple slices (discard the tough core portions) and place in a medium nonreactive bowl. Add the red onion, bell pepper, vinegar, jalapenos, lime juice, cilantro and minced garlic. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and stir well to combine. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and set aside as you prepare the tuna.

Set a grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the tuna steaks with remaining salt and Essence and brush with the 2 remaining tablespoons of the olive oil. Place steaks on the grill, turning 45 degrees after 2 minutes. Repeat on the other side for an additional 2 minutes or until medium-rare. Remove from heat and set aside. Serve with the Grilled Pineapple Salsa

Last edited by Underdog (2011-12-03 11:41:07)

I think I will try your first one, BossDog.  Here's hoping I don't blow it! lol

Thanks bro.

^ Just added one more: The pineapple & salsa part caught my eye. GL!

^^
Too late!  Already went shopping; no pineapple or salsa in the house.

The tuna is now marinating. 
The mushrooms have been sauteed for the mushroom swiss burgers.
Now I just have to wait for wifey.

My tuna recipe:

8 cans of Bumblebee Light Tuna
1 bottle of Helmann's real mayo
1 medium-sized white onion, chopped
4 Vlasick kosher dill spears, chopped
2 hardboiled egg whites, chopped
1 tbsp A-1 Steak Sauce (for tang)

Serve on Veggie Crackers.

That's some goodness.

milk and Pepsi

half milk, half Pepsi  smile

My dad used to do the coke/milk thing.  But he also did saltine crackers/milk, so take his logic for what it's worth. lol

Good lookin' out UnderDog!  Most tasty tuna.  (I kinda burned the burgers, though  sad  )

next I'll tell ya'll how to make a p,b & j with the crusts cut off  wink

Scoring some extra pts with the wife, ay Bryan. Good for you! You can never have enuf of those my friend. wink

^^
A happy wife (or wife/mom in your case) makes for a happy home!  big_smile

azathoth wrote:

^^
A happy wife (or wife/mom in your case) makes for a happy home!  big_smile

You know that's right!!

Edit: 2684 TT's to azzy for being such a good hubby.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-12-03 20:35:56)

damn! look at this, first thing i see when i get here is this. somebody hook me up with a cold pasta salad recipe no meat and a dill dressing for salad.

Ingredients

3 cups uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
    1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and cubed
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped red onion
    1 green onion, chopped
    1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1 tablespoon buttermilk
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup torn romaine

Directions

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water.
    In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and onions. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, dill, salt and pepper until smooth.
    Add lettuce and pasta to vegetable mixture. Drizzle with mayonnaise mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 10 servings.
-------------

I cheated, I looked it up (not a pasta salad guy).

How's this? wink Looked it up on the net...of course.

CUCUMBER 'N DILL PASTA SALAD    
SALAD:

6 oz. (2 c.) uncooked dried corkscrew or twist pasta
2 c. (2 med.) sliced 1/8" cucumber, cut in half
1 c. cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 c. (1 med.) coarsely chopped onion

DRESSING:

8 oz. (1 c.) carton Land O Lakes light sour cream
1/2 c. skim milk
1 tbsp. chopped fresh dill weed
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. vinegar

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse with cold water. In large bowl combine pasta with all remaining salad ingredients. In medium bowl, stir together all dressing ingredients. Pour dressing over salad; toss to coat. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour. Yield: 6 servings.

1 teaspoon dried dill weed can be substituted for 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill weed.

Or...minus the tuna if you want it w/out meat?

1 cup orzo pasta
    3 green onions, sliced thin (tops included)
    1/4 cup green bell pepper, minced fine
    1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced fine
    1 medium roma tomato, diced
    1/2 cup kalamata olive, finely diced
    1 egg, hardboiled, finely diced
    2 teaspoons fresh dill, finely minced
    1 tablespoon fresh chives, finely minced
    2 teaspoons celery seeds
    1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, thoroughly drained
    1/3 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
    salt
    pepper

Directions:

Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse under cold water to quick chill, drain well and pour into large mixing bowl.
    Stir in green onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, egg, fresh herbs, mustard, and parsley; mixing well.
    Add the lemon juice, yogurt, tuna and cheese, mix well; add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with a sliced bell pepper slice, sliced tomato or additional cheese if desired.
    Serve immediately, if preparing to serve later, reserve 1/2 cup of the yogurt to add just before serving as the pasta will absorb the moisture when refrigerated.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-12-03 20:45:49)

hmm.. the dressing looks good except for the dairy, i would cut that out. the dressing is actually for my salads.
the pasta salad looks good and will give a go.
now all i need is a carrot soup recipe.
thanks dog,hehe!

^^  shesaid: "now all I need is a carrot soup recipe."

Now your pushing it! big_smile
But, here ya go anyway...courtesy of about.com

This nourishing carrot soup recipe is an easy and elegant way to cut costs at dinnertime. Carrots are inexpensive and available year-round, yet they’re tasty and packed with vitamin A, potassium, lutein, and fiber. This pureed soup is made with water, not broth or cream, so it’s both low fat and vegan – a perfect offering for a variety of dinner guests.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients:

5 cups carrots, peeled and sliced into coins
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon light oil (olive, canola, sunflower)
    2 tablespoons fresh basil, cut into chiffonade

Preparation:

Place the carrots, salt sugar, pepper, and oil into a medium-size saucepan and cover with 3/4-inch water. Cover the pan and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and continue simmering the soup until the carrots are tender, about 16 to 18 minutes.

Remove the soup from the heat and transfer the carrots, along with the broth, to a food processor or blender and puree, in batches, until the soup is completely smooth. Ladle the soup into 4 warmed soup bowls and garnish with the basil chiffonade.

This carrot soup recipe makes 4 servings.

Last edited by Underdog (2011-12-03 20:54:22)

*BUMP*

I bumped this thread because one of my favorite things we get to enjoy on the holidays are the special recipes/foods, made with love, that are put on the table for family to indulge in. My favs are the desserts and candies.

I know there are a ton of other recipes/foods out there that are treasured by you & your family,  that you usually have to wait till the holidays to enjoy , but are well worth the wait. So I would like others to share some of their fav holiday recipes/foods. I reallly like peppermint bark and anything made with peanut butter!

Last edited by Underdog (2011-12-04 13:24:33)

I will ask Vampy for some of her recipes for desserts.  That is her specialty.

so this was a pizza i made for one of the get together's for the holidays mm mmm! http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz35/shesaid_album/DSC01096.jpg

Lon's recipe for Cheap 'n Easy Nachos:

1/2 bag of Tortilla Chips
1/2 can of chili w/ beans
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese
1/2 cup of diced white onion

Lay tortilla chips on a plate; cover with chili; sprinkle on cheese; top with diced onions.  Microwave for three minutes, let cool for one minute, serve. big_smile

My favorite baked brie topping:

Scrape the top off of a Large Double Cream Brie
Top with Brown sugar, Dried Cranberries, Slivered Almonds, Cinamon, and Nutmeg
Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350
Serve on Melba Toast and enjoy!

Yum! smile

One of my favorite soups to make.
I like to use spinach instead of escarole

For soup
1 onion, chopped fine
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried  rosemary, crumbled
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound escarole (about 1/2 head), cut crosswise into 1/2-inch  strips, washed well, and spun dry (about 6 cups packed)
3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1/4 cup orzo (rice-shaped pasta) or other small pasta

For meatballs
1/4 pound ground turkey
3 tablespoons fine fresh bread crumbs
1 large egg yolk
1 scallion, minced
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon olive oil

1 garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Make soup:
In a large heavy saucepan cook onion and rosemary in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until onion is softened. Add escarole, stirring to coat with oil, and cook, covered, 1 minute. Add broth and orzo and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.

Make meatballs while soup simmers:
In a bowl combine well all meatball ingredients except oil and season with salt and pepper. Form mixture into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter. In a heavy 9-inch skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown meatballs about 3 minutes (meatballs will not be cooked through).

Add meatballs to soup and simmer, partially covered, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic paste, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.

* Bump*

My wife makes pecans sauteed in brown sugar and cinnamon. Easy, fast, YUMMY!!