Re: Best Sequles In Horror

thegroom85 wrote:

Where can I watch Cold Prey 2 at??

Damn, I checked amazon and its not even available on there...I dl'ed it a while ago. My copy didn't even have subtitles but it was still easy to follow and damn good!

Better than the original:

Phantasm II
Aliens
Predator 2
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Saw II
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Maniac Cop 2 and 3
Hatchet II

Not as good but still good:

Halloween II (1981), 4, 6 and H20
Fright Night Part 2
Child's Play 2 and 3
Scream 2 and 4
Creepshow 2

Halloween 2 is in no way better than the original.  Directed by Rick Rosenthal, the film was handed in to John Carpenter and Carpenter hated it.  He told Rosenthal the ONLY thing he has to do is make it scary, and on that note, he allowed him to direct the film.  Carpenter did something he basically has always loathed and he took someone elses vision, and re-edited it into something completely different because he hated Rosenthal's movie so much.  The movie did well based off of the originals success.  It was a turd that Carpenter tried to polish and he  was halfway successful but in his own words sold his soul while doing so.  I know numerous people who like the film simply because it picks up right where the original left off, but if you really sit down and watch, it isn't great.  The first is a work of art in every way...

I cannot think of a single horror sequel that surpasses the original...There are a few that compare like NOES 3.  I love that film but to me, it is not even close to as good as the OG...

The Alien/Aliens debate is always fun but to me, Alien is the scariest film every made.  Aliens is an 80s action movie. 

I do enjoy Friday the 13 the Final Chapter more than the original.

Devil's Rejects is considered by most as the better film, but that movie is more action than it is horror....

Did someone say Psycho 2???

wow

Get me out of this thread

These remake/sequel threads are trouble.  No one can think of a sequel that actually surpasses the first, so they start pulling out every sequel that they enjoy, forgetting that the first was a damn masterpiece!!

Psycho 2? Halloween 2?

I still don't know how anybody can like Phantasm 2 more than the first.  You've got every single classic Tallman scene in the first.  70s style horror.  Nothing funny about it.  Then you've got the 80s Phantasm 2 which is a damn rip off of Evil Dead 2 for the first 20 minutes...

I know opinions are opinions but some things are just facts.  Halloween is a brilliant piece of art.  One of the best horror slashers ever made.  That is a fact.  Anyone who thinks Halloween 2 is a better film is simply wrong.  You can like Halloween 2 more than 1, I have no problem with that, everybdoy has guilty pleasures, but actually thinking Halloween 2 is a better piece of film than Halloween 1 is flat out wrong...I'm sorry.

And if Predator 2 is better than the original consider me Miles Davis.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-26 22:03:18)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Better than the originals IMO...

Phantasm II
Friday the 13th IV
Blade II
Day of the Dead
Cold Prey 2

Not as good as the originals but still good...

Aliens
The Fly II
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

I stick by my choices, the ones I mention I believe are superior to the originals. Especially Day of the Dead, it's easily my favorite zombie movie of all time. As for Phantasm II, its a preference thing, all depends on your personal preference and your perception of a film. I grew up in the 80's and love
80's horror films.

As far as Halloween, it's a good movie, I like it but personally, wouldn't put as much praise in it as you obviously do. Not to take anything away from Carpenter, he is great at many things, composing music is one of them, but as far as his camera work he is very good at mimicking other greats, Hitchcock comes to mind. As far as creepy atmospheric slashers go I would rank Black Christmas higher than Halloween. Bob Clark created an amazing atmosphere with similar shooting styles and similar story line with a bit less emphasis on the killer and it was more effective in my honest opinion, and it came out four years before Halloween.

I'm going to be watching Black Xmas for the first time this Xmas.  Carpenter mimicking Hitchcock? That is awesome if it is true...never noticed that though.   

You clearly know what you are talking about.  You also clearly know more about the Dead series than I do, but Night of the Living dead is probably last generations favorite scary movie.  You like Day of the Dead, that is fine, but about a million fans would beg to argue, and you would also probably have just as many fans on your side.  Tough to call a sequel better than the OG when the OG is basically the best Horror movie every written and directed considering what it influenced after...

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-26 20:12:04)

Sequels being better than their originals are rare, at least in the horror genre; what scared the bejeezus out of you in that first movie likely won't scare you again.  That said, I do think there are some sequels which are at the very least on par with their originals.  For instance:

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 -- this flick gets a lot of crap because of the homosexual overtones, but I think it's just great.  The whole movie can be seen as an allegory for the lead character Jesse struggling with his own homosexuality.  Freddy represents the physical embodiment of Jesse's guilt; whenever his "deviant" sexual urges present themselves, Freddy rises to squash the source of his arousal.  Like the gym teacher he tracks to the gay bar and the studly classmate he literally penetrates in the bedroom.  Director Jack Sholder can say the homesexual overtones were unintentional, and that it was just a coincidence that the guy playing Jesse was actually gay, but I don't buy it for a second.  The theme is far too perfectly integrated to have been anything but deliberate.  The only weak part of the metaphor is the antiquated notion that Jesse could be "cured" of his homosexuality by the love of a woman.  Now, ten bucks says that after reading this you will NEVER see ANOES 2 the same way again. lol

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 -- what I like so much about this flick, aside from the imaginative dream warrior characters, the return of Heather Langenkamp, a solid supporting role by the always reliablel Craig Wasson and an early role for the great Laurence Fishburn, is the fact that director Chuck Russell throws in every kind of special effect there is (at that time).  Make-up FX, claymation, opticals, matte shots, CG (however quaint at the time), animatronics.  You name it, it's in there.  And let's not forget the theme song, and its equally awesome 80s music video, Dream Warriors by Dokken (George Lynch FTW!).

Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness -- I see Evil Dead as a straight horror movie.  ED2 as a horror comedy.  AOD as more a straight comedy/fantasy.  But I think they're all equally effective for what each of them are.  I don't think any one is better or worse than the others.

Friday the 13th -- While I'm not a big fan of the series on the whole, I do think parts 3, 4 and 6 are all superior to the original.  Even part 5, which most fans discount because of the pseudo-Jason, but which I think is still an entertaining slasher flick, for what it's worth.

And I'm totally with Chainsaw on Phantasm II and Blade 2.

Nightmare on Elm St 3 also had the same original music writer as Twin Peaks.  If anyone has seen that show, it has a fucking huge score..

It's just a matter of personal opinion if someone prefers some sequels to their predecessors. There's plenty of other series where I vastly prefer the original most of all.

I gotta say Saw II was better then 1. Maybe the twist isn't as shocking but they had some damn good twists in there still and I just thought it was all around more entertaining, not that the original isn't good and of course will have at least 3 "classic" scenes in time (if they are not already classic)
The reverse bear trap, the foot, and the twist.
I actually also think, Saw 3 is better. The others fluctuate for me in my favoritism.
I agree Hostel part 2 is better as well.
I think Dawn is just as good, but I love NotLD, so I just don't think it's better, and I think Savini is awesome, but I am not of fan of his Night remake.
I think I agreed with a few others reading through this but i have to look back and think of more too.

Hostel 3 was miles better than the first one ( I didn't even give 2 a chance)
I liked Saw 2 more than the first for enjoyability even if the first was more unique at the time.
I am on the Aliens camp when it comes to the Alien vs Aliens.

And possibly my most contraversial choice (as most of you know I have a few contraversial opinions on movies big_smile) I prefered AVP2 to AVP even if both were pretty crappy.

Opinions are opinions after all everyone has one wether I agree or you agree isn't my problem. It shouldn't be a problem after all preaching about how much my opinion sucks balls won't change it smile I don't like any of the halloween series but I would say out of the whole series or sequels, remakes, reboots and Reserections the first is the best out of the lot, even if JLC running around like an idiot from a man in a politician mask doesn't push my buttons for 20 odd bleeding years.

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-07-27 06:02:29)

Just wanted to point out something.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Halloween is a brilliant piece of art.  One of the best horror slashers ever made.  That is a fact.

This is true.

Anyone who thinks Halloween 2 is a better film is simply wrong..

This is not.

We love a good, passionate debate here at HM, but keep in mind opinions are subjective and therefore can't be wrong.  One man's trash, etc.  Let's all play nice, now.

Carry on. smile

Phantasm II was an amazing film, one of my all time favorite sequels. Dawn of the Dead is far superior to Night of the Living Dead for budget and effects reasons.  I just know there are little known 80s gems that I am forgetting, but I will; conclude by saying Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter was in my opinion the finest of the Jason films with a three foot tall, bald Corey Feldman saving the day.

Jigsaw wrote:

Better than the original:

Phantasm II
Aliens
Predator 2
Friday The 13th Parts 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3 and New Nightmare
Saw II
Evil Dead II and Army Of Darkness
Puppet Master 2, 3 and 4
Maniac Cop 2 and 3
Hatchet II

Not as good but still good:

Halloween II (1981), 4, 6 and H20
Fright Night Part 2
Child's Play 2 and 3
Scream 2 and 4
Creepshow 2

One I don't agree with you on:

Hatchet 2:  I'm not crazy over the 1st one, BUT I do think it had better energy, pacing, humor that worked, kills, AND it was set on Halloween and kinda felt like it.  The only thing 2 really had going for it was Tony Todd's expanded role and of course, Danielle Harris.  I did like that it expanded on Crowley's mythology, but just feel that it's not the better of the two.

ChainSaW80 wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

Better than the originals IMO...

Phantasm II
Friday the 13th IV
Blade II
Day of the Dead
Cold Prey 2

Not as good as the originals but still good...

Aliens
The Fly II
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness

I stick by my choices, the ones I mention I believe are superior to the originals. Especially Day of the Dead, it's easily my favorite zombie movie of all time. As for Phantasm II, its a preference thing, all depends on your personal preference and your perception of a film. I grew up in the 80's and love
80's horror films.

As far as Halloween, it's a good movie, I like it but personally, wouldn't put as much praise in it as you obviously do. Not to take anything away from Carpenter, he is great at many things, composing music is one of them, but as far as his camera work he is very good at mimicking other greats, Hitchcock comes to mind. As far as creepy atmospheric slashers go I would rank Black Christmas higher than Halloween. Bob Clark created an amazing atmosphere with similar shooting styles and similar story line with a bit less emphasis on the killer and it was more effective in my honest opinion, and it came out four years before Halloween.

Amen, brother Ben, shot the rooster, killed the hen!

It is indeed a matter of preference.  I have always preferred carnival funhouse style horror films over the serious ones.  I'm not taking anything away from stright faced horror classics like Phantasm (because I do love it), but I tend to gravitate to its sequel and others of its ilk.

is Leprechaun 2 better than Lep 1?? It has been so long since I have seen those movies.  Something like 15 years, but for some reason I get this feeling that the second is better than the first.  I do know Jen Aniston is in the first which almost automatically makes the first better....

^^^ Aniston pre-nose job, no less. lol

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

is Leprechaun 2 better than Lep 1?? It has been so long since I have seen those movies.  Something like 15 years, but for some reason I get this feeling that the second is better than the first.  I do know Jen Aniston is in the first which almost automatically makes the first better....

I like Leprechaun 3 better than the first 2 actually

^^
The real question is which is better- Leprechaun in Space or Leprechaun in the Hood?  lol

I prefer Leprechaun in the Video Store, because that means it's on the shelf and no one's suffering from watching it. big_smile

hahaha

Maxwell wrote:

One I don't agree with you on:

Hatchet 2:  I'm not crazy over the 1st one, BUT I do think it had better energy, pacing, humor that worked, kills, AND it was set on Halloween and kinda felt like it.  The only thing 2 really had going for it was Tony Todd's expanded role and of course, Danielle Harris.  I did like that it expanded on Crowley's mythology, but just feel that it's not the better of the two.

I didn't really care for the original Hatchet, I found it dull. I thought the sequel was more entertaining and had better characters.

^^
I'm with Jiggity on this one.  Hatchet 2 also had some additional backstory.

Bride of Frankenstein
Hammer's Frankenstein Sequels (before 70's)
Psycho II
Dawn of the Dead
Hammer's Dracula Sequels (first 4)
Dr. Phibes Rises Again
Dario Argento's Inferno
Friday the 13th Part 2
Cold Prey II
Evil Dead II
Aliens
The Exorcist III
The Devil's Rejects
28 weeks later
Army of Darkness
Bride of Re-Animator
Amityville II: The Possession
Hellraiser II
Phantasm II
SAW 2 & 3

viken wrote:

Return of the Evil Dead is better than Tombs of the Blind Dead.

Everything else I can think of is already mentioned.

Even though, Return of the Evil Dead reuses footage from Tombs, it does have a lot more action (especially the assault on the town), so I can see why you'd like it better.  I'm partial to Night of the Seagulls, as it has a Lovecraftian vibe to it, what with the idol worship and all.

BTW, I LOVE your avatar.  HUGE Samhain fan myself.  Any idea where I can get a copy of Initium that won't cost me an arm and a leg?  I used to have it on cassette, but all the CDs I find are way expensive.

I actually like Friday the 13th III & IV best out of the franchise.
Evil Dead II was better for me than the first.
The Devil's Rejects
Hostel II
Bride of Frankenstein
Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead beat out Night of the Living Dead IMO