Topic: Will There EVER Be Another Goonies or Monster Squad?

Not literally.  Will there ever be another movie...that influenced so many youngsters (like me when these came out) in a fun and entertaining way, but that also steered kids to the horror genre.  I am not saying these were horror movies, just that, I'm willing to say, that many people that liked these movies as kids, ended up liking horror.  Though, I'm sure many didn't end up going that route.

Anyway...not looking to debate whether or not someone liked these movies, as much as acknowledge the effect they had on many youths.  Personally I loved them, and they were mysterious, and fun, and made you want to be in the movie, fighting bad guys and looking for treasures, or hunting monsters in the creepy house...all with your friends. 

I have heard Super 8 compared to these movies.  Haven't seen it yet, but hope to soon.

So, what are your thoughts?  You agree with any of this?  Will there be movies like those again?  Or, are youngsters getting there fill from tings like you tube, or other viral videos, and we won't see a major motion pic like these again.

Re: Will There EVER Be Another Goonies or Monster Squad?

doubyful..  gone are the days where two dopey kids named Corey were loved . We would rush to see them fight vampires, werewolves, and  criminals in a pirates cavern .Where kids in detention hall would meet and shed their stereo types for one day to become friends.  Where geeky kids could put bras on their heads and build their own dream woman. 

-sigh-  those were the days

I think the closest we have come to that kind of movie would be Super 8

I think Super 8 and Attack the Block definitely had the feel of those 80s movies and I thought both were great.  I think alot of it had to do with the fact that I was a kid when I saw those movies in the 1980s so that probably makes the memories a bit more fonder.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see their likes again.  Super 8 tried to capture some of that same sense of childhood awe, adventure and wonder, but it failed, IMO.  I think because kids today are a lot different than kids twenty five years ago, just as they were way different from kids twenty fives years before them.  When we were kids, we believed in Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster.  Kids today are much more sophisticated and yes, I believe it is mostly because of the technological advances this new generation has grown up with.  Who has time to ponder the existence of a seven foot tall missing link when you're too busy getting DLC for your Xbox? 

I remember being saddened when, a few years ago, the man who filmed the infamous 8mm footage of Bigfoot strolling through the forest confessed on his death bed that it was a hoax; him and a friend and a suit of hair.  It saddened me because I still remember when I was a kid, hearing about Bigfoot, about this monster roaming the forest, and no one knew where he came from, and no one had ever managed to capture him.  It was a mystery; nobody knew if he was real or not.  I enjoyed having those childhood memories, then suddenly the dude's saying yeah, I faked that shit, and it's like losing a part of your childhood.  I remember being 8, 9, 10 years old and going down to the creek and hiding in the bushes in hopes of seeing Bigfoot, and playing with my friends in the woods, but not before arming ourselves with sticks in case we ran into him.  Think about that for a second; in this day and age, when was the last time you heard of a nine year old going on a Bigfoot hunt? lol

It's that sense of wonder that pulled kids to see these films -- a sense of wonder kids today just don't have, because it's not being cultivated in them.  Kids today are continuously being slammed with information -- and information is the bane of imagination.

Unfortunately they just don't make movies like that anymore,  I think that is why I liked Super 8 so much was that it reminded me of the Goonies.  Maybe there will be a new group of kids that decide to make Zombie movie because of it.  I certainly hope so.  My son's generation are really into the comedies, but even comedies aren't as well done as they used to be.  What happened to intelligent comedies with a storyline?  80s had some great comedies as well as Horror.  My son loves to watch the old stuff.  I asked one of his friends what Horror movies he had seen, trying to judge what he could handle and his answer was Beetlejuice.  Um?  Thats not a Horror Movie... LOL  So we watched Idle Hands that night.  This kid is 14.  By the time I was 14, I was already a Horror Geek and had seen most of the big Slashers of the 80s and some of the really scary movies like The Exorcist.  Their idea of Horror is Saw and Human Centipede.  Kind of sad huh?

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-01-18 09:05:02)

You all totally get what I meant though.  That is cool.  You understood I was more talking about the magic of those times, and what those movies represent.  Yeah...sounds like a lot of us had some great times growing up.

Ghostseeker wrote:

You all totally get what I meant though.  That is cool.  You understood I was more talking about the magic of those times, and what those movies represent.  Yeah...sounds like a lot of us had some great times growing up.

We sure did, I think it is the video games that have killed movies in general.  We used to make a day out of going downtown to the Theater and watching a double feature.  Kids would rather play WOW or XBOX or PS3 with their friends then hang out at a movie theater.  Sad but true smile

the  kids  nowadays only rush to buy the newest video game. not go see a great movie..they are one step away from being human batteries for the Matrix

and they dont know what good horror is !!   Vampires that sparkle !  Zombies that are humans with the rage virus and run !  Why in my day zombies shambled along.. in the snow ..uphill.. for 5 miles and when got  ahold of some brains to eat they were THANKFUL for them !!  sheesh !

lol joking of course

it's true, these monsters today take way too much for granted.

in my house it was always with the: "now eat all your brains up or we'll just ship them over to some needing hungry zombie in Africa!"

Im not sure we will ever have another Goonies but we are going on what feelings we had when we were young but i think if a movie like that came along kids would get as much out of it as we did when we were kids. While it's true that my 13 year old son still loves movies & watches horror with me, he plays more Xbox games at the weekend than he watches movies but my 7 year old daughter watches movies daily like Monster House, Honey i Shrunk....., Gremlins & Little Shop of Horrors & recently we all watched The Goonies together & she loved it so their is still space for it.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

the  kids  nowadays only rush to buy the newest video game. not go see a great movie..they are one step away from being human batteries for the Matrix

and they dont know what good horror is !!   Vampires that sparkle !  Zombies that are humans with the rage virus and run !  Why in my day zombies shambled along.. in the snow ..uphill.. for 5 miles and when got  ahold of some brains to eat they were THANKFUL for them !!  sheesh !

lol joking of course

LOL  smile

People keep saying they don’t make movie like that anymore. Well they didn’t back then either and that’s why those movies are special.

Great movies that capture our imaginations and hold a special time and place in our hearts will keep coming, sometimes there’s stretch but they come. Will they hold any nostalgia for you, probably not like they used to (for you), you might not be able to even recognize their specialness until years later, because movie enjoyment is highly subjective to time, your age and place.  When you were a kid you knew you loved goonies but didn’t understand it was special, not like you do now.

I’ll bet 20 years after Wizard of Oz, some thirty something’s were sitting around talking about how they shat purple Twinkies the first time they saw it  as kids, and how Hollywood didn’t make movies like that anymore. Sure they would correct Hollywood wouldn’t but again they never did before either.

Last edited by swollenguy (2012-01-19 18:35:06)

^ So are you saying there will be another like them?  Or are you saying you only like movies that make you poop purple poop?  smile

Ghostseeker wrote:

^ So are you saying there will be another like them?  Or are you saying you only like movies that make you poop purple poop?  smile

I am saying purple twinkies is good , Raspberry syrup on rocky road = bad

swollenguy wrote:

People keep saying they don’t make movie like that anymore. Well they didn’t back then either and that’s why those movies are special.

Great movies that capture our imaginations and hold a special time and place in our hearts will keep coming, sometimes there’s stretch but they come. Will they hold any nostalgia for you, probably not like they used to (for you), you might not be able to even recognize their specialness until years later, because movie enjoyment is highly subjective to time, your age and place.  When you were a kid you knew you loved goonies but didn’t understand it was special, not like you do now.

I’ll bet 20 years after Wizard of Oz, some thirty something’s were sitting around talking about how they shat purple Twinkies the first time they saw it  as kids, and how Hollywood didn’t make movies like that anymore. Sure they would correct Hollywood wouldn’t but again they never did before either.

So what movies do you think we will look back on 20 years from now?  Which current movies will reach cult status?  A friend mentioned that he liked to have a cult movie nights with friends.  They show films like Phantom of the Paradise.   Edit- I should mention he is in his twenties.

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-01-19 20:10:41)

As adults it's harder to capture our imaginations such as the Goonies &  M S did. Face it, we're not as easily awed and sadly our imaginations have some what faded away. We're now caught up in the rat race of the "adult world. So "no," there most likely won't ever be another movie that is so dear to our hearts like the Goonies or M S. Looking back at the horror genre. When I was still a teen I saw (1972) The Exorcist at a theater and the impact it made on me is immeasurable to this day. Will there ever be another horror movie in the future that will stand up to it? It hasn't happened yet, and I'm 49 now. Now let's take my oldest daughter who's 15. I finally watched it with her about a yr or so ago. I had told her how much it had scared me when I first saw it and thought it would also have scared the hell outta her to. Not so. She thought it was pretty spooky. But also said she had seen scarier ones that are far more recent. I thought "what? Scarier than The Exorcist! No way!!" And what about the movies that our parents generation hold so dearly? What they refer to as being classics. The ones before Goonies or M S. They probably say the same thing. "Will there ever be another movie like...?"

As for the kids of today? I think there will always be a movie or two for them, that they also will end up asking the same question as the one posed. Will there ever be another movie as good as?

Growing up sucks you guys!! But, it's just the way it is. smile

Last edited by Underdog (2012-01-22 17:34:16)

^ Good points Dog.

DirtyGirl wrote:

Which current movies will reach cult status?

The Friday remake and Twilight.  Obviously.

My daughter who is 24 LOVES the Goonies !  She also loves The Monster Squad, Grease, Labryinth and The Wizard of Oz.. and she likes Twilight , SuperBad and The Hangover too..

its also watching these movies WITH your kids .. If they are anything like you they will see the magic or at least grasp from your enthusiasm that the movie is special...

MistressOf Horror wrote:

My daughter who is 24 LOVES the Goonies !  She also loves The Monster Squad, Grease, Labryinth and The Wizard of Oz.. and she likes Twilight , SuperBad and The Hangover too..

its also watching these movies WITH your kids .. If they are anything like you they will see the magic or at least grasp from your enthusiasm that the movie is special...

Well said Mistress-  like I have said many times, my son loves the cheesy 80s Horror and Comedies.  And I watch the new stuff with him....  We can't get enough of Todd and the Book of Pure Evil  smile

Well said UD and MiS

I know we got over saturated with both but there are some kids out there that will all ways remember seeing Avatar and the dark knight. American Pie has to be around the ten year mark; sure that movie was a part of someone’s high school experience.

I think the problem with Goonies, Stand by me, the sandlot, and monster squad: is Hollywood has a real hard time finding the balance required to capture the charm of youth. which kids can relate to and adults can be nostalgic about. Hollywood tends to make movies about kids that are unrealistic.  Kids aren’t all sugar and innocents, but there not all boogers and cussing either and they’re not supper spy’s, they are just people I don’t know why it’s so rare for Hollywood to get it right.

Last edited by swollenguy (2012-01-20 11:50:17)

There will, eventually, be another movie(s) like them.  Maybe not any time soon, but every once in a, maybe great, while someone makes something that is just... transcendent.

Right now, people in general have seem to lost that wonder of things.  Ghosts and Bigfoot were spooky and mysterious, now we have several ghost hunter shows, and even a 'Hunting Bigfoot' show (which makes ghost hunting look professional).  Science has delved so much into things, like innumerable Loch Ness searches, that what are we left with?  Dracula has turned into Twilight.

But there will always be a genius out there, waiting.

Super 8 is the cloest we'll get in recent movies. It's kind of like stand by me with aliens.

As far as stuffs like bigfoot or ghosts/UFO goes , if anything - the interest is still very much   there as evident by the amount of ghost hunting and bigfoot shows.

There will always be a interest in the paranormal/supernatural , people are still reporting bigfoot sightings in many states every year. Belief in them or not , it's entirely up to the individuals.

Last edited by fmvgamer (2012-01-21 02:29:33)

certainly wouldn't want a goonies and monster squad i like d the first one but meh!

On Fri night I rented " Real Steel," for my 2 boys and nephew to watch (ages 11, 12, 12). After the movie had finished one of my sons said " That was the coolest movie he had ever seen!!" I asked my other son and nephew if they enjoyed it too? The both shouted out a resounding " Oh' yea! " After hearing their ecstatic enthusiasm, I immediately thought about this thread topic.

Last night I watched the movie and really enjoyed it! I found myself feeling young again and remembering what it was like to be a kid, or wishing I could have been that kid. I really got into the movie! If your not familiar with the movie? It's about a kid who's mom dies and the courts give custody to his father, who he has never known. Dad's not keen on having a child in his life because he's pretty much self centered, and is involved in the futuristic sport of sanctioned robot boxing/fighting. Dad does end up taking temporary custody for a 6 month period, and takes the kid on the road with him.

Back to the Q of; Will there ever be another Goonies or MS? Yes, and, No.

Yes, because the movie Real Steel has succeeded in doing just that, according to my boys, and nephew. How? It captured their, generation, dreams, and imagination. Real Steel, is exciting, energetic, heart felt, dramatic, action packed, passionate, and again, most importantly: a movie kids TODAY can relate to. It's a movie for the current generation of imaginative, starry eyed youth.

No, because our generation has past us by! It's really that simple when you break it down.

I give the movie a 8.5/10 rating.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-02-03 23:01:19)

Very cool post Dog.