Re: Best Movie In a Series

Having watched the Tales From The Darkside movie for the first time in many years earlier, I think my new favorite segment in it is Lover's Vow. All three of the stories in it are good, but that one in particular is the most mature and well-crafted, IMO.

I saw Curse Of Chucky recently and really liked it, good comeback for the series. Still like the original the best, though it's always close between it and Child's Play 2 for my number one favorite.

On the subject of anthologies, did I mention the Monsters show from the early 90s? Don't remember if I did. I loved that show, The Match Game was my favorite episode.

I got back from Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones earlier and found it surprisingly good and one of the stronger entries in the series, but I still think the original is the best. I think 2 and TMO are neck and neck for best sequel, though.

I don't think I mentioned the Critters movies before. It's been years since I last watched them and am not sure which my favorite one may have been, wouldn't be surprised if it was the first, though.

Sure, I'll list off some:

F13 series - Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter
NOES - '84 original
Halloween - '78 original
TCSM - '74 original
Hellraiser - '87 original
Romero's LD trilogy - Dawn of the Dead
Evil Dead trilogy - Army of Darkness
Child's Play - '88 film (though I strongly like Child's Play 2)
Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy - The Beyond
Saw - Original
Psycho - Original (obviously, but Part II is good stuff, though)
Dracula movies - Horror of Dracula (1958)
Frankenstein movies - Frankenstein ('31)
Wrong Turn series - Original.

I think you may observe a pattern here regarding my like of the first films in the series. Though there are a few exceptions.

I agree with Wrong Turn but number 2 comes very close, damn, Henry Rollins and the girl sliced in 2 in the beginning is just insanely cool.

Jigsaw wrote:

I got back from Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones earlier and found it surprisingly good and one of the stronger entries in the series, but I still think the original is the best. I think 2 and TMO are neck and neck for best sequel, though.

My favorite is the third... Heh.

Just finished watching all the 5 Whispering Corridors flicks and my favorite of them all is the number 5, A Blood Pledge. Yes all of them are kickass but this one is even more kick ass, sick and creepier than any other one. You all have to see this series if you still haven't, so damn good Korean Horror.

I don't I've even heard of that series before.

It's a Korean series.  Haven't seen any but have read about them.  They're on my to-do list.

Yeah, it's one of the best from there they say all over and I believe them. I think the same. big_smile

I'll definitely give them a look.

Maybe not full-out Horror, but Species is another series I remembered. I only saw the first two and remember not caring much for either, but I think I might've enjoyed the second one a little more.

Any anyone seen all It's Alive series

I watching first one right now, I know. it's remwatch,  I did not know it' was PG Horror movie.

I think I saw it many years ago, don't remember it very well.

Friday the 13th: Part 4
NOES: Part 1
Alien: Alien
Hellraiser: Part 1
Evil Dead: Part 2
TCM: Part 2
Leprechaun: Part 5
Psycho: Part 1
Scream: Part 1
Saw: Part 1
Final Destination: Part 2
Halloween: Part 1
The Mummy: The Mummy's Hand
Frankenstein: Frankenstein
Jaws: Part 1
Creature from the Black Lagoon: Revenge of the Creature
Childs PLay: Part 1
Romero's Dead Series: LotD
Children of the Corn: Part 1
Invisible Man: Invisible Man
Tremors: Part 2
Ilsa flicks: She wolf of the SS
Howling: Part 1

You added some good ones there, forgot some of those.

I notice you left out TCM in your list just now, never seen the TCM films?

Jigsaw wrote:

Maybe not full-out Horror, but Species is another series I remembered. I only saw the first two and remember not caring much for either, but I think I might've enjoyed the second one a little more.

I liked the first quite well, but considered the second just okay and the third a turkey, not up to Larry Cohen's usual standards at all.  The first was remade (or was it just reimagined?) a while back.  I didn't see it.  Anybody know if it was any good?

Never even knew it got a remake, I know it has two other sequels that went straight to DVD.

What's your favorite movie in each series listed in the original post?

Actually, BOTH sequels played theatres in Detroit and I've been told the first sequel had a limited theatrical release in a few other parts of the country.

Species II I remember had a theatrical release way back in 1998. I remember seeing the trailers for it on TV and also seeing the poster every time I passed by a movie theater that wasn't too far from where I was living at the time.

I have the same memories.  I thought it wasn't even a LIMITED RELEASE.  I'm not absolutely positive but I think SPECIES 2 even played in Aberdeen for a week.

It was definitely a theatrical release, and from my memory it was a wide one, too. It did pretty poorly at the box office though, which was surely why the next few movies went straight to DVD.

But they DIDN'T go straight to video!  LIMITED RELEASE and straight-to-video are two different things!

Checking Wikipedia, it says both were released direct to video, but it's possible some places had them for a limited release. I've heard of some DTV films that played in some theaters.