Re: DirtyGirl's Horror Movie A Day Challenge

DirtyGirl wrote:
alien25 wrote:

Aug 27 - The Nesting (1981) - Suffering from agoraphobia, gothic mystery writer Lauren Cochran rents an isolated victorian house in the country to escape the city and concentrate on her writing.  Only after she moves in and begins to experience haunting dreams does she learn that the house was once a brothel and the site of several grisly murders decades before.  Nice atmospheric film with a great location.  It is slow at times and some of the scenes come across as campy, but still an entertaing watch.  3/5.  First Watch.

I bought the Nesting a while ago on dvd but just haven't got around to watching it yet.  I am glad to hear you liked it smile  Now, I have to find it!  haha

Dig it up DG, I think you will like it. smile

Aug 28 - Flashback (2000) - After witnessing the burtal murder of her parents as a young child, Jeanette spends the next several years recovering from the trauma in an asylum.  When she is released as a young woman, she seems to be granted an new lease on life as she is given the opportunity to tutor a trio of wealthy siblings in their remote moutain mansion.  But as bodies begin to pile up, Jeanette is left to wonder if her return also marks the return of the killer.  Technically it is well done with a nice location that reminded me of Phenomenon, but as far as slashers go, it is nothing special or particularly original.  The inclusion of Elke Sommer in the cast was nice, but with the other lovelies included, it would have been nice to see at least some nudity.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

2nd day: 1:54 a.m.

The New Daughter. Extremely disturbing and scary psychological horror/thriller with Kevin Costner. I loved it due to the fact it has a very The Sixth Sense-like mood. Mysterious and scary. Ending may made a sequel. Overal I rate this one 7.1/10

And remember that I re-booted my days.

Those review scores of yours Lost Boy are very specific lol but yeah Shutter was a great one.

LoudLon wrote:
A Lost Boy wrote:

shit

You're twelve.  Stop it.

Just so you know, I'm going to do this every time.

lol...you tell him Lon!  smile

Chomper wrote:

Those review scores of yours Lost Boy are very specific lol but yeah Shutter was a great one.

Man u are right 7.1? u crazy guy Lost Boy why not round it to a 7.0

I dare u to piss of The Thing's (82) diehard fans by giving it a 9.9/10 wink

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-29 16:42:26)

Day 277-

Theatre of Blood- 8/10 Rewatch Dvd

Why, why, why does nobody talk about this one?  It was just as good as the Dr. Phibes movies.  Completely campy with gory and creative kills.  And Vincent Price is quoting Shakespeare throughout the whole movie!  Awesome!  smile

Got 3 days in a row. Tonight is Snow White a Tale of Terror.

DirtyGirl wrote:
LoudLon wrote:
A Lost Boy wrote:

shit

You're twelve.  Stop it.

Just so you know, I'm going to do this every time.

lol...you tell him Lon!  smile

Holy ****. HE'S GONNA TORTURE ME EVERY SINGLE MOMENT WHEN I SAY THESE ************************** WHILE GETTING MORE POINTS ON COMMENT!

day 17 Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon 2006 (RW) 9/10 such a good film hope the second gets funding

day 18 demon2 1986 (FT) 6/10 had to crack out my VHS for this one  liked it more then the first
chopping mall 1986 3/10 since i had my VHS out i watched this. got this film for my 10th birthday THANKS MUM!

3rd day: 1:34 a.m. Videodrome (1983). Directed by David Cronenberg, master of body horror and sci-fi. The ultimate Canadian. The whole movie was just plain weird. Which make it ultimately good. Along with an amazing soundtrack by Howard Shore. This movie makes me go horny at some scenes. And the plain weirdness in this is just too scary for me. The mood and scenes perfectly matches with the music. An amazing film with James Woods. This movie is... conclusion: A mind **** (screw).
The make-up was amazingly scary too. Wonder why this was underrated by audience at that time.
This is one of Cronenberg's best film along with Scanners (1981), Dead Ringers (1987) and The Fly (1986). A great classic sci-fi horror mind **** that proves television is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, people don't need to care what Oblivion says but just sit back and relax while watching this total mind **** accompanied by Deborah Harry's awesome gasping.
Conclusion: this movie is one of my favorite sci-fi horror film so there is no whatsoever reason that I'm not giving it an 9.4/10

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-09-13 09:57:10)

Aug 29 - A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971) - After she has a bizarre dream where she kills her neighbor, the neighbor turns up dead, murdered exactly as Carol had dreamt it.  Is someone trying to set her up for the murder, or did she actually commit the crime.  Okay, but it really didn't do much for me.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

hey mary! i'm working my way through my Hammer 21 dvd boxset. are you just a teensy bit jealous? wink XXX

^^ Oh, I am. I wish they made a region 1. I have to add, I wish it was more complete. It's a lot Hammer for one collection, but hardly the movies I'd have chosen for my version of the ultimate Hammer collection.

Last edited by Ms.Gorefiend (2012-08-30 17:27:17)

Wolfy- I am totally jealous!  I wish I could get that set here. 

Lost Boy- I like the editing and the movie choices smile

PCow- I am really hoping for a sequel to Behind the Mask also!

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

^^ Oh, I am. I wish they made a region 1. I have to add, I wish it was more complete. It's a lot Hammer for one collection, but hardly the movies I'd have chosen for my version of the ultimate Hammer collection.

yes, there are some strange choices in this colection and many important films are missing. hardly the ultimate collection but it's decent enough.

DirtyGirl wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

Damn.  You're going to meet Carpenter tomorrow?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/Animated/funny-gifs-want.gif

<--- So effin' jealous...

lol...Carpenter was amazing!  Very friendly but he didn't say very much.  I asked him to sign a poster of The Thing for me.  Surprisingly, his line wasn't that long.  I will post some pics soon smile

Man! Lucky!

I was suprised how few people where at Ruggero Deodato's table at BOTB back in April...so wish I could meet Carpenter!!!

John Carpenter was awesome.  I wish I had thought of something clever to say smile  Maybe next time. 

Day 278-

Paranormal Activity- 7/10 Rewatch DVD

Seriously.... How did this ordinary movie turn into a franchise?  I don't get it  big_smile

day 19 Army of Darkness 1992 (RW) 10/10 what can you say about a picture  this good, when i first saw this film i was 9 years old on family holiday in america we where in Las Vegas at the time and while my parents where gambling i stumbled across this playing and had to beg a plead so i could watch it (My sister hates horror) but by the end even she was enjoying it i think that says it all

^^
That's kind of similar to me- I talked my dad into going to see AoD (he also does not like horror), but it had enough humor that he also liked it.

it brings family's closer!

The day I came home from the Army, my mom and sisters threw me a welcome home party complete with a horror movie marathon.  That was the first time I saw Army of Darkness.  So the flick actually holds a great deal of meaning for me, aside from being thoroughly entertaining. lol

DirtyGirl wrote:

Day 278-

Seriously.... How did this ordinary movie turn into a franchise?  I don't get it  big_smile

The same way that a simple little movie made by two guys fresh out of film school became the Saw fanchise. wink

Aug 30 - The Lost Coast Tapes (2012) - When a Bigfoot hunter claims to possess the carcas of a dead Sasquatch, an investigative journalist grabs his crew and heads out to the hunter's remote mountain cabin determined to document the hoax.  But some things don't like being called a hoax.
Great premise for a found footage flick, and one that I was really looking forward to, unfortunately, it was pretty much a let down.  Your standard FF fare, an annoying film maker, whiney crew members, slow build up with with all of the action happening out of site of the cameras, and the line "No matter what happens, keep filming."  Without giving anything away, they do mix it up a bit in the end, but the ending was lame and the payoff just wasn't there as far as I was concerned.  Shame, it could have been a cool flick.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

alien25 wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

Day 278-

The same way that a simple little movie made by two guys fresh out of film school became the Saw fanchise. wink

Aug 30 - The Lost Coast Tapes (2012) - When a Bigfoot hunter claims to possess the carcas of a dead Sasquatch, an investigative journalist grabs his crew and heads out to the hunter's remote mountain cabin determined to document the hoax.  But some things don't like being called a hoax.
Great premise for a found footage flick, and one that I was really looking forward to, unfortunately, it was pretty much a let down.  Your standard FF fare, an annoying film maker, whiney crew members, slow build up with with all of the action happening out of site of the cameras, and the line "No matter what happens, keep filming."  Without giving anything away, they do mix it up a bit in the end, but the ending was lame and the payoff just wasn't there as far as I was concerned.  Shame, it could have been a cool flick.  2.5/5.  First Watch.

Just to explore the point a bit further i believe a valid difference is that the original SAW is a darn good film that had for its time a very original concept which it executed very impressively. PA used the previous found footage gimmick and it appears, to me that a lot of horror fans didn't find it to be executed well. What made it a hot ticket was its ingenious viral campaign by Paramount and the apparent fact that Steven Spielberg was scared shitless by it (but he isn't a horror genre director so this may have been irrelevant to many genre fans). One of the reasons why both SAW and PA have had so many sequels aswell is also arguably their increasing appeal, especially their sequels, to a wider mainstream audience aswell as those in the horror genre (I suppose u could say that about a lot of Hollywood Horror nowadays though)

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-08-31 15:46:36)

DirtyGirl wrote:

Ok, Here is a list of what I have watched since Jan. 1st...

Jan 1- Rare Exports- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan.2- The Woman- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 2- Chillerama- 5/10 First Watch
Jan 2- More Brains, A return to the Living Dead-8/10 First Watch
Jan 3- Cowboys & Aliens- 6/10 First Watch
Jan 3- I Saw the Devil- 9/10 First Watch
Jan 4- Dreamhouse- 4/10 First Watch
Jan 4- Dead End- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 4- Apollo 18- 6/10 First Watch
Jan 5- Horror of Dracula-10/10 umptenth millionth watch
Jan 5- Brides of Dracula-8/10 Rewatch
Jan 6- Dracula Prince of Drakness- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 7- Taste the Blood of Dracula- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 8- Twins of Evil- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 8- House of Wax (1953)- 9/10 Rewatch
Jan 8- The Haunting (1963)- 9/10 Rewatch
Jan 9- The Curse of Frankenstein- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 9- The Evil of Frankenstein- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 9- Alone in the Dark (2005)- 3/10 First Watch
Jan 10- Offerings (1989)- 5/10 First Watch
Jan 10- Frankenstein (1931)- 9/10 Rewatch
Jan 10- Bride of Frankenstein- 10/10 Rewatch
Jan 10- BBC A History of Horror - 7/10 First Watch
Jan 11- Circus of Fear- 5/10 First Watch
Jan 11- Terror in the Aisles- 10/10 First Watch
Jan 11- Phantom of the Paradise- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 12- The Mummy(1959)- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 13- Friday the 13th (orig)- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 13- Friday the 13th Final Chapter- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 13- Freddy Vs. Jason- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 14- Paranormal Activity 3- 7/10 First Watch
Jan 14- The Asphyx- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 15- Grave Encounters- 7/10 First Watch
Jan 16- The Reptile- 6/10 Rewatch
Jan 16- The Raven (Price)- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 16- The Ressurection- 7/10 First Watch
Jan 16- Necronomicom the Book of the Dead- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 17- The Woman in Black (1989)- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 17- The Gorgon- 9/10 Rewatch
Jan 18- The Innkeepers- 8/10 Rewatch
Jan 18- Horror Hotel- 7/10 First Watch
Jan 18- Deadof Night (1977)- 7/10
Jan 19- Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde- 7/10 First watch
Jan 20- The Crazies (2010)- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 21- The Mummy's shroud- 6/10 First Watch
Jan 22- Plague of the Zombies- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 23- The Changeling- 9/10 Rewatch
Jan 23- Frankenstein the True Story- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 24- The Witches- 6/10 Rewatch
Jan 24- Dunwich Horror- 6/10 First Watch
Jan 24- The Hound of Baskerville- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 25- Blood and Donuts- 6/10 Rewatch
Jan 26- From A Whisper to a Scream- 7/10 First Watch
Jan 27- Possession- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 28- Exorcism of Emily Rose- 8/10 First Watch
Jan 29- Warlock- 7/10 First Watch
Jan 30- Watcher in the Woods- 7/10 Rewatch
Jan 31- An American Werewolf in London- 9/10 Rewatch
Feb 1- The Goonies- 10/10 Rewatch
Feb 2- Pscho (orig)- 10/10 Rewatch
Feb 3- The Woman in Black 2012- 9/10 First Watch
Feb 4- The Lady in White 1989- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 5- Julia's Eyes- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 6- Warlock 2 the Armegeddon- 6/10 First Watch
Feb 6- Trilogy of Terror- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 7- Wishmaster- 7/10 Rewatch
Feb 7- Hellraiser- 8/10 Rewatch
Feb 7- Wishmaster2- 6/10 First Watch
Feb 8- The Signal- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 9- Chronicle- 6/10 First Watch
Feb 10- Brian DePalma's Sisters- 8/10 First Watch
Feb 11- The Loved Ones- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 11- Cat People- 6/10 First Watch
Feb 12- Phantasm2- 8/10 Rewatch
Feb 12- Pit and the Pendulum 1991- 7/10 First watch
Feb 12- Warlock3- 3/10 First Watch
Feb 12- The Omen- 10/10 Rewatch
Feb 13- Carnival of Souls- 7/10 Rewatch
Feb 13- The Uncanny- 5/10 First Watch
Feb 14- Captain Kronos the Vampire Hunter- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 15- Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell- 6/10 First Watch
Feb 15- The Skull- 8/10 Rewatch
Feb 16- The Shining- 10/10 Rewatch
Feb 17- House of Long Shadows- 7/10 First watch
Feb 18- My Bloody Valentine Remake- 6/10 Rewatch
Feb 19- Lady Frankenstein- 5/10 First Watch
Feb 20- Girly 1970- 7/10 First Watch
Feb 21- When a Stranger Calls 1979- 6/10 First Watch

I had to go back and check my Twitter and Get Glue to figure out what I watched...LOL

UD-  I did start with quite a few classics!  Most of them I saw so long ago they seemed new again.

What the.............