Topic: Deep Red or Suspiria?

Which do you prefer?

Re: Deep Red or Suspiria?

Although I love Deep Red,  it's a great movie...

Suspiria is one of my all time favorite movies!  Love the colours, Architecture, and characters! 
Beautiful movie!

Actually, Deep Red is probably my favorite Argento film...Suspiria is amazing but fails to have any depth to the plot. Everything else about it is so well done though i still think its great. Amazing sets, lighting, photography and some nice gory bits to complement those things.

I liked Deep Red because it had that great creepy opening scene. Also it kinda plays out like a gory Hitchcock mystery, its my favorite giallo.

I forgot to mention Suspiria has one of the creepiest scores EVER!!!

Oh yes...the score by Goblin....Brilliant!

As big a fan as I am of Argento, I was never all that big on Deep Red.  The effeminate "hero" just didn't work for me.  I did enjoy Daria Nicolodi's performance, though.

Suspiria, on the other hand, is a delight in pretty much every way.  It was the first Argento flick I ever saw, at age 16 or so, and it blew me away.  The score, the visuals, the sets and the emphasis on primary colors all elevated it to a sort of hyper-reality you don't see in other films, and when you do, it's never quite as effective.  It's not the best acted movie and, as is de rigeur for Argento, very little of it makes any sense, but Argento's artistry more than makes up for it.

Suspira without question, the much better film by far.

I like Deep Red

I will probably be alone but I find the score on Suspiria very annoying at times

I recall not being a huge fan of Deep Red when I saw it, but recently I have been thinking about buying a nice high definition copy for my collection as I have grown to love even more kinds of horror than I used to (something when I was younger I didn't think possible lol) and so I would like to give a re-watch. So perhaps I am being unfair in not having given Deep Red another chance yet, but I have to go with Suspiria.

I'd go with Suspiria.  I wasn't a fan of Deep Red either.  I hated the cheesy looking fire at the end of the flick.  Funny, but  the ending of Mother of Tears totally reminds me of Deep Red because it has that same cheesy looking fire.

Suspiria, obviously LOL. A beautiful but haunting film, very few rival it IMO.

Suspiria_89 wrote:

Suspiria, obviously LOL. A beautiful but haunting film, very few rival it IMO.

Obvioubsly looking at your avatar and username.
Mine is also Suspiria but the ending is just sick (when Suzy walks of the school and then credits rolls and THAT IT'S?)

Love 'em both, but I got to go with Suspiria with the more creepy feel.

swollenguy wrote:

I like Deep Red

I will probably be alone but I find the score on Suspiria very annoying at times

You're not alone. Deep Red on both counts; a film and score. IMO the best Argento / Goblin score of any movie... so friggin great that the Japanese ripped it off for their film Evil Dead Trap.

I've not seen susperia yet but if it's better than Deep red, I will be sitting down to it tonight big_smile