Topic: Death Race 2000 (1975)

One of my favorite cult B movies has to be the original, D R 2000. (I'm watching it now on NetFlix) Well, when it was announced that there was going to be a remake; I was pretty stoked to hear the news. I'm not a big fan of the trend when it comes to remakes, but there are a few that have worked well. The Fly & The Thing, being the first two that come to mind.

After watching the remake. I was sooo disappointed. I couldn't believe just how badly they ruined it! Even having Danny Trejo in it couldn't save it. Not as bad as The Omen sad remake, but still crap; IMO. Then a second DR was announced. I was hoping for some redemption. Not so! Although I did enjoy the follow up a bit more than the first remake. It still pretty much sucked, again.

Will there be a third installment? " I really don't give a flapping dog's ass!!"

Ahhh...if only they would have just followed the original campy, B movie greatness that it is. That would have been one hoot of a good time. If only...

Last edited by Underdog (2012-03-06 23:16:41)

Re: Death Race 2000 (1975)

I haven't seen the original since I was a kid.  I seem to remember Sly Stallone in it (and David Carradine, obviously, whose face is plastered all over the video box).  Yeesh...it's been at least 29, 30 years.  I don't think I was quite 10 when I saw it.

I avoided the remake, though, on general principal.  Jason Statham is no David Carradine, I don't care how perfectly symmetrical his head is.

I'm definitely a fan of the original movie. Totally unique concept for its time.
If you treat the remake as a totally different movie from the original (ie. Pretend it's called something else) it's actually quite enjoyable. As a low brow action movie wink

i too like both! didn't think the new death race 2000 was really a remake more a re do and it is pretty good i thought, the same for death race 2  but the original is good as well.

wolfman1959 wrote:

i too like both! and find Tranny's to be the best of both world

kinda off subject there.

thought the remake was more running man then Death race. but i liked it ok.

swollenguy wrote:
wolfman1959 wrote:

i too like both! and find Tranny's to be the best of both world

kinda off subject there.

you're inexorable! roll

swollenguy wrote:

thought Jason Statham was sexy in the remake! I imagined i was running naked with him on the beach! ( sigh, i never wanted to wake up). British Men are so manly!

steady Swellie old chum don't want to go and burst your Bollocks, dear chap! hmm

wolfman1959 wrote:

i too like both! didn't think the new death race 2000 was really a remake more a re do and it is pretty good i thought, the same for death race 2  but the original is good as well.

Your right about it being more of a re-do and not a remake.

Loved the original.  My Hubby watched it for the first time not too long ago.  Not sure how he missed that one, being a car guy smile

wolfman1959 wrote:
swollenguy wrote:

thought Jason Statham was sexy in the remake! I imagined i was running naked with him on the beach! ( sigh, i never wanted to wake up). British Men are so manly!

I got a great mental pic of this and ohhh I burst my Bollocks, dear chap! hmm

need a towel?