Topic: POLL: Dubbing or Subtitles

Upon request, I made up this nifty poll.  The subject is do you prefer subtitles or dubbing when it comes to foreign films?  Feel free to state why.

I generally tend to prefer dubbing, so I don't have to take my eyes of what is happening in the film.  However, there are some really bad examples of this that can kill a movie.   Also, it seems no one can do subtitles correctly; you need to place a black border around the letters so they don't disappear when the background color is the same.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-03-13 17:41:52)

Re: POLL: Dubbing or Subtitles

I voted subtitles.

At times it depends on my energy level. If I'm tired or just feeling lazy, I will usually watch a film that's dubbed. Where as, If I'm wide awake and want to get the full experience of the movie. I'll watch a film that's subtitled.

As pointed out; there are some really bad examples of dubbing out there. For that reason I voted subtitles.

Subtitles all the way.  You loose too much, sound and inflection, when a film is dubbed.  Nothing worse than a poorly dubbed film.  The only time I like dubbing is when the subtitles are incorrect, like the first release of Let the right one in, or when it is hard to follow the subtitles because of the action in the movie, like REC.  But even then, I went back and watched REC a second time with the subtitles to get the full effect of the movie.

Subtitles for me.  I never prefer dubbed.  The only time I watch a dubbed movie is when it's Japanese and I can read the subtitles and listen to the dubbing at the same time.  Then it's hilarious.  But if I'm attempting to watch a film I care about, it's strictly subtitles.

Subtitles, definitely.  As Alien said, you lose too much when a film is dubbed.  Haute Tension immediately springs to mind, where it comes off stiff and uninvolved.  And while I love those classic chop socky flicks on Saturday afternoon Black Belt Theater, the dubbing jobs were always atrocious and made the films feel cheesy, while if you watch those films with their original soundtracks it adds a level of depth and nuance that dub jobs just don't have.

The big thing for me is when the dub adds words that aren't there, just to fill the movement of the speaker's mouth.  That's why there are so many "But still"s and "damn you!"s in those chop socky flicks, for instance.  I think dubs are for lazy people who don't want to read and watch at the same time.  That's them.  Me, I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Yes to all of that.

Also, I really enjoy hearing the original language.  Foreign languages are beautiful and can be wrought with emotion.  There's no need to cover them with English (lackluster, at that).  You don't have to stare at the subtitles for every syllable either.  It's like opera.  Even if you don't speak the language just glance down from time to time to get the idea and you'll follow along.  European films in particular say so much without even using words. 

Now I feel like watching Inside.

I'm on the fence...I don't mind subtitles at all but I've experienced subtitles that were WAY more atrocious than any dubbing I have ever heard. And I know some of you guys have watched (like I have) a film with both dubbing and subtitles on and the subs are absolutely laughable where the dubbing actually felt less fake and not as wooden as the subs.

I watch both equally depending on my mood.  You have to really commit to a movie to watch it with subtitles.  No getting up for a cup of coffee, you might miss a major plot line and never know it..lol   Sometimes I just want to be lazy and watch a movie with dubbing but it isn't even offered on the Dvd.  That I find annoying.  For instance,  most of the Criterion Dvds don't even offer dubbing.  My Hubby won't watch a movie with subs only so I don't even try to get him to watch those movies...too bad because some of them are really good.

Also I realized that my Dvd of Black Sabbath only had subtitles.  I didn't mind too much...but I would have watched it both ways if the option was there.

A bit of trivia about me...I generally watch DVDs with subtitles regardless of language.  I find this to be a fantastic tool for making sure I don't miss subtle words or  misconstrue what I think I hear.

^ I do that also sometimes...its great when you have a two year old lol

^^^ I also use captions when I watch TV or movies in English, but that's mostly because I have major hearing loss in one ear and sometimes shit gets jumbled.  I'm sure anyone who's sat in on Azzies Move Night's has heard me regularly saying stuff like "Huh?", "What's that?" and "Come again?"  lol

Did you just tell me to come again?  Well, okay but I'm gonna need some help.  lmao

It has also solved and put to rest for good many age-old arguments such as Danny DeVito said "you're going a tad fast" during the Flinstone carwash scene of Throw Momma.... not "cab fast" which my mother swore her life on years ago.  I love being right and subtitles help me prove it.  HA!

While I don't mind watching a movie with subtitles I definitely prefer dubbing. I just feel like I'm missing too much action on the screen while I'm busy reading. Also, as Az pointed out, I've seen too many movies where the subtitles get lost in the background colors.

ChainSaW80 wrote:

I'm on the fence...I don't mind subtitles at all but I've experienced subtitles that were WAY more atrocious than any dubbing I have ever heard. And I know some of you guys have watched (like I have) a film with both dubbing and subtitles on and the subs are absolutely laughable where the dubbing actually felt less fake and not as wooden as the subs.

I agree 100% here, sometimes I have played the dubbing with subs and I don't know which one is wrong because they say different things. Having said that I also agree with DirtyGirl sometimes I just want to watch with dubbing.
That being said I use subtitles 90% of the time because I can't Stand seeing lips not sync, but in some cases, like with some giallos I have to. But also with the original language you can hear the emotion better so I still prefer subs for sure, but I am guilty of having used dubbing. For dubbing if the voice acting is not too bad then it makes he lack of lip syncing not so bad.

In the end I have to go with subs.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-03-14 07:34:07)

I think that dubbing sometimes can be fun, when it is on an already bad movie. Like Ninja movies of the 80ies, its just like a part of what makes them awesome. Its not intended by the filmmakers, but if it helps a boring or stupid film become fun and interesting im all for it.

But for good films I definitely prefer subtitles, because it often ruins the film with dubbing because some scenes will become unintentionally funny, and it is extremly difficult to get dubbing to sound absolutly perfect.

But with that said I have to after sync a shortfilm tomorrow, I will let you know how that turns out ;-)

ChainSaW80 wrote:

And I know some of you guys have watched (like I have) a film with both dubbing and subtitles on and the subs are absolutely laughable where the dubbing actually felt less fake and not as wooden as the subs.

Well, I don't read braile, so I wouldn't know what printed words "Feel" like. wink
Yeah, I have seen some pretty poor translations in subtitles, but for me, that doesn't detract from the film as much as everything that you loose with dubbing.

^
Well simply put, I have seen movies with good and bad dubbing and good and bad subtitles. Therefore I don't really have a preference.

i went for dubbing. i dislike sub titles, my usual answer is if i wanted to read , i'd read a book. that said i don't mind sub titles on horror films have seen quite a few. if you want a deeper answer why i don't like subtitles as somebody has already rightly said a lot of subtitles are poorly done and translated poorly. some are unreadable. i also hate it when somebody on screen says a couple of minutes of dialogue and the subtitle comes up with "yes" and i'm thinking " WTF? He said more than that"! if i have the choice 9 times out of 10 i would go for the dubbed version. may be a surprise to some of you on here with that revelation that i can read roll

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-03-14 16:59:44)

^^
You just reminded me of some Asian/Thai/Turkish (I can't remember which) where the subtitles had things like:

"I'm going [huh?] last."
"Now we should [gibberish]"
"Tomorrow [I give up]" 
lol

You should watch the old Jamaican movie Rockers, the subs in that one is hilarious! The movie can best be described as Rastaploitation and the dialect is so hard to understand that the poor guy that did the subs just gave up once in a while. Random parts of the film aren't subtitled because its all gibberish and other parts are subtitled with a very short meaning of all the gibberish.

Its a great movie that looks a bit like blacksploitation and the dialect is just a huge part of it but you are totally dependent on the subs.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079815/quotes

^^
YouTube of first part of "Rockers."

Voted subtitles with one exception; those 60s/70s Godzilla/Gamera and the like monster films. Just love the dubbing and  all those American actor puppets. Still the best ever.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-03-17 08:39:36)

Bunshinsaba wrote:

Voted subtitles with one exception; those 60s/70s Godzilla/Gamera and the like monster films. Just love the dubbing and  all those American actor puppets. Still the best ever.

I agree with that.  smile  Besides, without dubbing altogether, Michael Winslow never would have had a career.  lol

BTW, Bunshinsaba, GO DAWGS!  wink

I voted subs. I watch a bit of anime in my spare time and if I can help it, I avoid dubbed episodes. But it has to be done properly.

moviemaven wrote:

BTW, Bunshinsaba, GO DAWGS!  wink

Georgia fan, I take it?