Topic: Hunger Games

The more I read about this, the more I'm thinking another US ripoff of another idea, i.e. Battle Royale (2000).  The first book of Hunger Games came out in 2008, and the author's previous works were more fantasy based.

I could be totally wrong, of course (what would be new there), but it looks like the same story with an added political bent.

Oh, and the movie is going to be PG-13, so you know what that means.

/rant

Re: Hunger Games

From what I've seen it looks like an amalgamation of Battle Royale and The Running Man.  I've been hearing a lot of talk about this movie for months but never really understood the hype; apparently it's from a popular tweener book or something?  Doesn't sound all that special to me. hmm

The books are good...I have read the first one and want to read more.  Yes, they are a little of both battle royale and running man mixed together,  but with more heart.  There is a little bit of romance thrown in to the mix.  I am looking forward to seeing the movie with my book club smile

I do not think I will ever watch it as it looks like it is not my thing but I heard a lot about it and it should make some massive numbers

^^
Movie ticket pre-sales have supposedly out-done Harry Potter's.

I read the book after my daughter recommended it. Not bad. I agree that it's closely related to, B R. All but one of my kids have read it, and are fans.

I took my daughter and two of her friends to Wal-Mart today so they could buy shirts and material to make their own special Hunger Games T's to wear at the premier  smile

Also, wife and I are taking the whole family to see it next Sun. Ohh-Boy...  Should be a good time hanging out with all the kids though.

Underdog wrote:

Also, wife and I are taking the whole family to see it next Sun. Ohh-Boy...  Should be a good time hanging out with all the kids though.

That is cool you are getting some good time with the family...but this movie on opening weekend...I think it could be torturous!  smile  Hope ya have fun though.

This premise, the books / movie (s?) sounds interesting.  Had someone explain it to me.  I might see the movie eventuall. 

I immediately thought of Lord of the Flies.  Maybe I'm alone on that.

Not familiar with BR though.

Funnily enough I started reading the series today. Nearly finished the first book and it's not that bad.
A well done movie of it could be quite watchable.
If anyone wants to "borrow" the books just drop me a line wink

G S- Not familiar with BR though.

It's avail to watch for free on Google video.

Battle Royale is bad ass...its one of the first asian horror flicks I ever seen. Hunger Game looks similar with some added emotional twists. I seen the trailer awhile ago and it didn't interest me at all.

I've read all of the books and I'm looking forwards to the movie. I just wish it wasn't PG-13 sad BTW I know it sounds like Battle Royale but it's actually a lot different. It has much more of a story.

Battle Royale, Running man, it’s a gladiator concept at heart, Not an original idea but I wouldnt say a rip off. I started the first book but it was loaned and I didn’t finish in time. it didn’t hold my interest but I have a lot friends that are big fans I am sure the movie will be entertaining.

Last edited by swollenguy (2012-03-19 12:56:47)

Im sticking with my Battle Royale. Hunger games is for this generations PG-13 audience while Battle Royale is my generations superior movie(Im 22) and has far harder edge to it. Battle Royale is a masterpiece so Hunger Games will have to be EPIC to beat it.

I bet that those japanese kids could massacre almost anyone out of the hunger games. Imagine that a b-movie with kids out of Hunger games against those in Battle Royale LOL BATTLE ROYALE V HUNGER GAMES

It did strike me as BR for teens. Watered down a bit for a younger generation of horror fans perhaps. I might watch it but will probably wait for it to be on dvd or box office rather than go to the cinema. The books were recommended to me on the kindle store so I might give them a look. I heard it was actually cut so they could cash in on the twilight generation with it being more of a market than the adult cinema goers.

Got around to getting a loaner of 'Hunger Games' to read.  Will get back to y'all on my impressions.

azathoth wrote:

Got around to getting a boaner .  Will get back to y'all.

Ok

Vasquez wrote:

Im sticking with my Battle Royale. Hunger games is for this generations PG-13 audience while Battle Royale is my generations superior movie(Im 22) and has far harder edge to it. Battle Royale is a masterpiece so Hunger Games will have to be EPIC to beat it.

Well, I've read Battle Royale and I've seen the movie about ten times; I've also read the Hunger Games series. As a whole, The Hunger Games(books) are much more violent and darker. The kills are also a lot more creative. Tons of futuristic weapons come into play in the later books. People are melted, decapitated by naked mutant lizard people, tons of throat slitting, people are cut in half, eyes are gouged out and there is a weird light that makes people instantly bleed out when they come in contact with it; and thats not even half of it. And on top of all of that The Hunger Games actually has some character development; therefore you actually care about some of them, unlike Battle Royale. So, as far as the books go, Battle Royale doesn't even come close to having a "Harder Edge".

The movie on the other hand, can't live up to the books with a pathetic PG-13 rating.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-03-21 17:43:23)

^^
While the teens and such will get their thrills, the more hardened folks will probably not like the PG13 level.  Back in the day (am I really that old?  Yep.  lol ), they could get away with some nice gore and even some boobies on a 13 level.  And a R rating was the kiss of death because parents knew that their kids were not going to turn into a serial killer by watching 'Halloween.'  I think the MPAA raters have oldened (I make up neat words!) faster than Quickrete. 

/rant

swollenguy wrote:
azathoth wrote:

Got around to getting a boaner .  Will get back to y'all.

Ok

Man, you just half-assed that one.  Disappointed.  sad

Suspiria_89 wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

Well, I've read Battle Royale and I've seen the movie about ten times; I've also read the Hunger Games series. As a whole, The Hunger Games(books) are much more violent and darker. The kills are also a lot more creative. Tons of futuristic weapons come into play in the later books. People are melted, decapitated by naked mutant lizard people, tons of throat slitting, people are cut in half, eyes are gouged out and there is a weird light that makes people instantly bleed out when they come in contact with it; and thats not even half of it. And on top of all of that The Hunger Games actually has some character development; therefore you actually care about some of them, unlike Battle Royale. So, as far as the books go, Battle Royale doesn't even come close to having a "Harder Edge".

The movie on the other hand, can't live up to the books with a pathetic PG-13 rating.

Ill take your word as i have never read the hunger games but as you say, in terms of the films Battle Royale without being ultra gory is think is more edgy and a better film.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-03-21 18:10:00)

While  comparisons between Battle Royale and The Hunger Games are bound to be made I can't help being of the opinion that it's just lazy thinking. The differences between the two far outweigh the similarities.

^

Well I have not read the book(s), so all I have to go on is the trailer. And the trailer looks like a pg-13 version of Battle Royale. Not to say I would never give the movie a chance, but im not rushing to the theaters to see it either.

Cap Howdy wrote:

While  comparisons between Battle Royale and The Hunger Games are bound to be made I can't help being of the opinion that it's just lazy thinking. The differences between the two far outweigh the similarities.

Agreed.

BTW I realize the movie is going to be a watered down teen movie, I just don't want people to not read the books thinking they'll be just as tame. In other words if the movie totally blows you should still give the books a chance; because there pretty damn awesome. Especially the second & third books.

Hence, my desire to read said books.  Though I hate it when something gets hype... rarely lives up to it.

Box office news for 'Hunger Games.'  It made US$155 million in the US, plus another $60 million internationally.  3rd biggest opening ever, biggest non-sequel opening ever.  Also has gotten good reviews all around.

I gotta read that book and check this out.

After seeing the movie this wk end, I agree on the reviews. No doubt it's a tween movie, but also enjoyable for all ages. The movie followed the book pretty damn close. I was surprised how good a job the lead actress did. She was able to show a lot of different emotions throughout the entire film, and did a stand up job at making her role believable. All the characters were well developed, the action was fast and furious. The story as a whole was well paced and didn't seem to drag for being over 120 min long.

IMO, was worth the price of admission.

8/10