Topic: Top 5 80's Horror films

What are you top 5 Horror films of the 80s and why...

1. Nightmare on Elm St -  Craven directed two of the top 10 Horror films of all time in Nightmare on Elm St. and Scream.  One of the best horror scores ever, this movie just never gets old.  Fun and scary, it is just about my favorite Horror film of all time.  Introducing quite possibly the best actor of our time in Johnny Depp. 

2. Poltergeist - This movie has grown on me the last few years.  Spielberg/Hooper.  Came out the week after ET, and it is very similar in style.  In my opinion, it feels more like a Spielberg film than a Hooper film.  Like NOES, I love watching this while going to sleep. 

3. Lost Boys - Haim. Feldman.  Patrick. Sutherland. The leading actress who's name I can't remember.  Easily my favorite Vampire movie.  If you haven't watched this one in a while, please throw it in the DVD player. 

4. Friday the 13th The final Chapter - Feldman again.  Had to throw a Friday the 13th film in the top 5 so I picked this one.  The first one might be better but I love the Final Chapter.  It is just the perfect campfire slasher.

5.  Nightmare on Elm St. 3 - Chuck Russel the director of the Mask.  Introducing Patricia Arquette.  This film has crazy imagination all the way through it.  Super 80s style film as well.


CONSIDERABLE MENTION
Child's Play, Fright Night, Prince of Darkness, pretty much every Stephen King adaptation

There are a lot of better Horror movies from the 80s I did not list.  These are just my personal favorites. 


What a fucking decade.  Not only the best time for Horror hands down, but it was EASILY the best time for comedy.  It was the ONLY time for teen comedies.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-04-05 22:08:52)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

I'll forgive you for leaving out Evil Dead 2.

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

I love me my 80s films; however, I think the 70s was a far better decade for horror - very few 80s features were seriously minded, most added a certain element of humor to the mix which, for me, steals from their impact.

My five would probably go something like this:

The Fly
Hellraiser
The Serpent And The Rainbow
The Thing
Day Of The Dead

with special mentions to The Evil Dead and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

now the 90s had to be the worst decade for horror - yikes! lol

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

Oof.  There's no way I could limit myself to just a top 5 list of anything, most especially my favorite film genre.  But what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

No particular order:

Carpenter's The Thing
Cronenberg's The Fly
Evil Dead 1 & 2 (I'd rate them about even despite the tones being different)
Tenebre (Argento)
Ghost Story

Of course any list of mine is subject to constant change, because I've seen so damn many movies it's inevitable I'd forget one or several when trying to think up one.

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

deadhorse13 wrote:

I love me my 80s films; however, I think the 70s was a far better decade for horror - very few 80s features were seriously minded, most added a certain element of humor to the mix which, for me, steals from their impact.

My five would probably go something like this:

The Fly
Hellraiser
The Serpent And The Rainbow
The Thing
Day Of The Dead

with special mentions to The Evil Dead and Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

now the 90s had to be the worst decade for horror - yikes! lol




ah you like 70s Horror far better than 80s?  Very interesting.  I feel like in the 80s though there were just so many more Horror films released.  Sequels upon sequels.  A TON of enjoyable Horror was released in the 80s.  Most of it wasn't great.  Some was.  But almost all of it was watchable and enjoyable in only an 80s way.

Halloween, TCM, Alien, Hills Have Eyes.  I see your point about the 70s and you are 100 percent correct about the 80s having so much more humor.  I just know so much more about films that came out in the 80s than I do about films from the 70s.  I can't imagine that horror films were coming out in the 70s at the same rate they were being released in the 80s.


And I like your list by the way.  Just recently watched Hellraiser.  Scary as shit.  The Fly
is as good as it gets.  Can definitely tell you like the serious Horror better by your list.  And it doesn't get much better than The Thing.  Kurt Russel is just about my favorite actor.  That dude in Big Trouble in Little China is hilarious.  Hilarious in Death Proof as well.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-04-05 23:04:21)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

deadhorse13 wrote:

I love me my 80s films; however, I think the 70s was a far better decade for horror

Ditto, to both.

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

The Howling
An American Werewolf in London
Poltergeist
The Thing
The Fly

These were not intended to be in order but some of them naturally fell that way.  To borrow a line from my favorite monkey, so spoketh the Maven (he doesn't usually add the Maven part, though he should.  It works.).

I'm throwing out a shout-out to Day of the Dead and F13 Part 3.

Last edited by moviemaven (2012-04-05 23:14:33)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

^^^ Thank you.  F13 part 3 never gets any love, dammit.

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

Welcome to the boards, PrinceOfDarkness. smile

Top 5 Favorite Horror Flicks of the 80's:
1) John Carpenter's The Thing (This and Cronenberg's The Fly seems to be on the top of almost everyone's lists....and not unexpected either, amazing movie!).
2) An American Werewolf In London (my favorite werewolf movie ever).
3) Day of the Dead (Amazing special effects by Savini, great zombie movie by Romero).
4) A Nightmare On Elm Street (Classic flick & enjoyable all the way through....timeless).
5) Return of the Living Dead (Hilarious, awesome, and punk all at the same time).

Honorable Mentions: Evil Dead 1 & 2, Christine, Silver Bullet, Carrie, The Fog....so many great horror movies came out of the 80's though.

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

^^^ Dude, The Fog came out in '79. 

Kids...  tongue

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

1970s vs 80s?  Tough question.  I could spend a few hours going through all the movies from each.  Of course the 70s had Lon's favorite film 'Jaws,' but I'm more of a 'Jaws 3' kinda guy, so I tip towards the 80s.  lol

So spoketh the RavieMavie Monkey.  big_smile
(runs away quickly....)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Dude, The Fog came out in '79. 

Kids...  tongue

and Carrie came out in 1976. back to school creat! wink   young whipper snappers mumble mumble
it's like in the westerns Tylor, me the old grizzled gunfighter teaching the young understudy the tricks. by the way have you seen the SW " Day Of Anger " with Lee Van Cleef and Guilliano Gemma? it's a good one, and has the plot i just mentioned above but they end up going up against each other. ooo   errr  hmm

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-04-06 04:51:08)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

^^
Wolfster layin' down the knowledge!

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

Of the 80s movies ive seen I say

1. Day of the Dead
2. Aliens
3. NOES
4. The Thing
5. Evil Dead 1

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

Only 5...That's tough!


The Thing
Nightmare on Elm Street ( My boyfriend Freddy is in it)
Return of the Living Dead
Lost Boys (The frog Brothers...enough said)
Aliens (yeah, I know you hate this one Maven smile  )


And a SO to Evil Dead 2 and Day of the Dead

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

Not a top five but here is a good list:
http://www.movieguy247.com/index.php?op … Itemid=160

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Thank you.  F13 part 3 never gets any love, dammit.

Thank you for thanking me.  LOL  It's my favorite.

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Dude, The Fog came out in '79. 

Kids...  tongue

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

...
I'm going to go bitch slap myself now.
Twice. For Carrie coming out in 1976. tongue

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

wolfman1959 wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Dude, The Fog came out in '79. 

Kids...  tongue

and Carrie came out in 1976. back to school creat! wink   young whipper snappers mumble mumble
it's like in the westerns Tylor, me the old grizzled gunfighter teaching the young understudy the tricks. by the way have you seen the SW " Day Of Anger " with Lee Van Cleef and Guilliano Gemma? it's a good one, and has the plot i just mentioned above but they end up going up against each other. ooo   errr  hmm

Back to school indeed, I need to re-fresh my horror memory with random IMDB & wikipedia movie searches. lol

Sounds like a right on flick, Wolfie. And I like Lee Van Cleef.
I'll check to see if it's on Netflix...

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

No need to slap yourself over "The Fog", everything I have ever seen says 1980, including my DVD. Everything on the web says it was released in Feb 1980. It was however filmed from april-may 1979. Apparently though, Carpenter did a lot of re-shoots because the film "didn't work" for him. Supposedly nearly a third of the film we see today is all re-shoots.

Lon can maybe elaborate on why it came out in '79, or maybe he was joking?

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-04-07 17:04:06)

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

My Revised List

1. Day of the Dead
2. Aliens
3. The Thing
4. Evil Dead 1
5. Night of the Creeps

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

ChainSaW80 wrote:

No need to slap yourself over "The Fog", everything I have ever seen says 1980, including my DVD. Everything on the web says it was released in Feb 1980. It was however filmed from april-may 1979. Apparently though, Carpenter did a lot of re-shoots because the film "didn't work" for him. Supposedly nearly a third of the film we see today is all re-shoots.

Lon can maybe elaborate on why it came out in '79, or maybe he was joking?

SEE! I was right, I thought it was 1980!
Lon, I get the feeling you just wanted to see me bitch-slap myself. tongue

Although, I have to admit, I was waaay off with Carrie (as Wolfie pointed out).

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

The Creature wrote:
ChainSaW80 wrote:

No need to slap yourself over "The Fog", everything I have ever seen says 1980, including my DVD. Everything on the web says it was released in Feb 1980. It was however filmed from april-may 1979. Apparently though, Carpenter did a lot of re-shoots because the film "didn't work" for him. Supposedly nearly a third of the film we see today is all re-shoots.

Lon can maybe elaborate on why it came out in '79, or maybe he was joking?

SEE! I was right, I thought it was 1980!
Lon, I get the feeling you just wanted to see me bitch-slap myself. tongue

Although, I have to admit, I was waaay off with Carrie (as Wolfie pointed out).

you mean i got something right?  wow! i got something right! runs off gibbering

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

My top five...

The Thing
The Shining
Day of the Dead
An American Werewolf in London
Near Dark


This is tough list...so many I wanna that I love from the 80's...My Bloody Valentine, ANOES, Street Trash, Evil Dead, The Burning......

Re: Top 5 80's Horror films

ChainSaW80 wrote:

No need to slap yourself over "The Fog", everything I have ever seen says 1980, including my DVD. Everything on the web says it was released in Feb 1980. It was however filmed from april-may 1979. Apparently though, Carpenter did a lot of re-shoots because the film "didn't work" for him. Supposedly nearly a third of the film we see today is all re-shoots.

Lon can maybe elaborate on why it came out in '79, or maybe he was joking?

Nope, not joking.   

The movie was filmed in the spring of '79, yes; then, with just a handful of weeks before its release date, Carpenter went back and added the extra scenes (mostly the murder scenes, with the drunks getting stabbed and sliced on the boat, for instance) because the studio decided it didn't have enough punch for what was then the growing splatter fanbase.  He finished the additional scenes and submitted his new cut dangerously close to the last minute, and the flick was released in December of '79.

Because the final print was turned in so close to the release date, the flick wasn't available for early critics' screenings, who likely wouldn't have got to it anyway because they were too busy watching last minute Oscar flicks (fall/winter is the season most Oscar contenders are released, so they're still fresh in the critics' minds when the Academy Awards roll around a couple months later).  Most pro critic reviews rolled in a week or two after its release, and at least one (by Roger Ebert) didn't see print until late January/early February of '80, despite him having seen the film weeks earlier.

So, y'know, suck it. tongue