Re: The Cabin in the Woods Discussion (SPOILERS)

Ok, I'm really not trying to shamelessly promote myself (this time) but I wanted to share this with you guys because I felt like you might appreciate it.

http://devourtheblog.wordpress.com/2012 … iler-free/

Basically I wrote a quick article about why you need to see Cabin in the Woods (clearly if you've read this thread then you have)

I understand not everyone "Got it", and not everyone liked it, thats fine, we all have opinions, my point that I've been making for the past week is that "It Sucks!" isn't a valid criticism and bashing a keyboard with your fists in rage because you can't form a coherent thought also doesn't constitute a valid argument.

Soooooo, one of my twitter followers posted a video in the comments of this article (the first comment) and I responded to it (as I'm want to do)

Well apparently the author of said video took offense and got massively butthurt and came on over to the blog to tell me what an asshole I am.

It's worth a laugh if nothing else, and I feel I gave him a decent verbal smackdown in response to his lunacy, and I figured I would pass it along to you guys, share the laughter.

Seriously though, anyone who didn't like the movie, thats fine, that's your opinion, all I ask is that you give a thoughtful, well written/spoken explanation for why you didn't like it.

Otherwise I will point and laugh at you.

Last edited by DavidDellamorte (2012-04-19 15:04:21)

So, pretty much every reg here knows how massive a horror film snob I am, how I have certain demands from horror films.  I'm harsh on them and hold them to a high standard because I love them so much, but that lends itself to me being easily disheartened by most modern attempts at horror.  It's all just more of the same with no real thought or attempts to be not just striking and bold, but to make you look at the genre from a new angle.  Suffice to say, it's been a long time since I've genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed a new horror release.

That said, I just got back from seeing The Cabin in the Woods and have only one thing to say:  WATCH THIS MOVIE.

I'm still kind of reeling from it so I'll have to post back once I get my thoughts in order.  What I can say right now, though, is that not since the original Scream have I felt so excited for the genre.  Here's a movie that not only plays on the tropes of "kids partying in the woods" horror movies, but completely blows those tropes wide open, turning them completely on their ears.  What Scream did for the slasher flick in specific, The Cabin in the Woods does for horror films in general.

More to come later.  Until then, I can't encourage anyone enough to go see it.  Now.

I will be seeing Sat. you guys gave me a stiffy hope it holds up (the movie not the stiffy, well maybe both, depends)

LoudLon wrote:

So, pretty much every reg here knows how massive a horror film snob I am, how I have certain demands from horror films.  I'm harsh on them and hold them to a high standard because I love them so much, but that lends itself to me being easily disheartened by most modern attempts at horror.  It's all just more of the same with no real thought or attempts to be not just striking and bold, but to make you look at the genre from a new angle.  Suffice to say, it's been a long time since I've genuinely and thoroughly enjoyed a new horror release.

That said, I just got back from seeing The Cabin in the Woods and have only one thing to say:  WATCH THIS MOVIE.

I'm still kind of reeling from it so I'll have to post back once I get my thoughts in order.  What I can say right now, though, is that not since the original Scream have I felt so excited for the genre.  Here's a movie that not only plays on the tropes of "kids partying in the woods" horror movies, but completely blows those tropes wide open, turning them completely on their ears.  What Scream did for the slasher flick in specific, The Cabin in the Woods does for horror films in general.

More to come later.  Until then, I can't encourage anyone enough to go see it.  Now.

Awesome....It's not often I see you like something...lol  I am glad this one held up for you  smile

my aunt and I went to see it together. My aunt who is not into horror at all (although i have been making her watch most of mine) was sitting there trying to figure out why everything was happening me on the other hand was sitting there going "no! after creepy gas station guy I would go home! , NO DO NOT GO IN CREEPY BASEMENT/CELLAR THING! HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN A HORROR MOVIE??  No! do not play with creepy puzzle boxes! pin head will show up!" my aunt had to shush me a couple of times because I was getting so excited. figuring out everything she leaned over at one point and said "where are Dean and Sam when you need them? and I noticed the strangers my aunt and I looked at each other at the same time when they showed up. For me it wasn't about putting it together I was thinking like the stoner guy thinking what would I do in that situation. but if it were myt best freind and I we would have been making the same mistakes only I would have smacked her for reading the Latin out loud, you never NEVER do that! lol

Last edited by revengebiteme (2012-04-20 13:32:17)

Okay, now that I've got my thoughts in order...kind of.  I'm still liable to be all over the place here because there's so much going on in the flick, on the surface and way, way down below. 
Now, I can imagine this film will be seen as a lot of different things to a lot of different people.  Here's how I see it -- and I apologize ahead of time if I come off as pretentious...

The entire movie is a meditation on the mind of a horror writer.  Being one myself, I find it difficult sometimes to reconcile certain genre rules and expectations to what I want to have happen in my story.  If you're writing a slasher flick, there's a given that at some point, two characters will go out into the woods to have sex.  Most writers would take advantage of the viewer's suspension of disbelief and not bother with giving them a reason to wander out into the woods to begin with, when the audience knows there's a killer wandering around out there.  Suspension of disbelief is HUGELY important in horror; it's the willing disregard of logic or rationality.  Too many writers take it for granted, and don't care if it leaves the audience shouting at the screen, "Why the hell are you going outside when you know there's a psycho out there???"

But here we have a movie which not only gives the characters a reason to wander off into the woods, but it also throws in a glitch: the characters decide it's too chilly and turn back.  Uh-oh!  Trouble!  What's the writer going to do?  How does he make his characters adhere to the machinations of his plot?  In the case of Cabin in the Woods, the lab workers simply hit a button, administering a pheromone mist which re-activates the characters' sex drives.  And that's just one of the many strokes of genius in this flick.

But more than being a clever deconstruction, I see the whole film as an allegory on the thought process of a horror writer.  Here we have characters in a horror movie who eventually become painfully aware that that is exactly what they are -- characters in a horror movie.  So they confront their writer, and along the way they catch glimpses of other horrors lurking in his imagination.  When they question why the writer is putting them through the hell he's putting him through, they're given the excuse that it's to appease the ancient gods -- in this case, the ancient gods being the writer's inherent compulsion to write horror in the first place.  Why does the writer want them to suffer?  Why is it so imperative that there be only one survivor, that that survivor must be female, and must be strong in morals?  Because the very nature of drama demands it; a character must suffer pain, must suffer loss, must struggle and must ultimately prove victorious against insurmountable odds in order to maximize the dramatic pay-off.  Horror writers are in a unique position in that they are fully in touch with their fears.  They know what scares them and why, and they have a primal need to know that those fears can be overcame, that they can be controlled and that they can be conquered.  They exercise that need by writing stories about exactly that.  In this movie, the underground lab and all its workers and all their tricks and devices are metaphorically the active mind of a horror writer in the process of imagining a story.

Now, as for the characters becoming aware, there's a notion in not just horror writing but writing in general, that what you want is for there to come a point when your characters start speaking for themselves.  You're no longer writing their words; they're telling you what they want to say.  For most writers it's a very rewarding moment, because you realize you've truly given life to these characters you've been puppeteering up 'til then and now it's them taking you on the journey rather than the other way around.  But for horror writers this is both a blessing and a curse; a blessing in that you've created a character with independent thought, but a curse in that it's going to be a lot more difficult to get them to adhere to the confines of the story you originally constructed.  How ya gonna get your lead character to open Pandora's box, which she must do in order to unleash the horrors you have planned for her, if that character, now imbued with the life and thought you yourself gave her, has no inclination to do so?  This is why so many horror films are exercises in frustration, because they feature characters doing things anyone with half a brain would never do.  If you're a lazy writer it's  easier to keep them dumb and manipulate them to serve the story, and that's the failing of a large percentage of horror films.

As simple as the flick appears on the surface -- kids go to a cabin in the woods being controlled by a super-secret underground lab -- there is SO much more going on with it.  Writers Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon have said The Cabin in the Woods is a "hate letter" to horror, and I completely understand that.  They, too, are die hard horror fans, who decided they'd had enough of contrived genre flicks which make no attempt to break from the mold and take advantage of the audience willingness to suspend their disbelief, and wrote something that questioned not just the nature of horror films, but why we see them in the first place. 

There is so much more I could go into, but I don't want to hog the conversation.  Believe me, with this kind of material to go from, I very easily could. lol

swollenguy wrote:

I will be seeing Sat. you guys gave me a stiffy hope it holds up (the movie not the stiffy, well maybe both, depends)

Stop reading the spoilers then!! I mean the movie is fun regardless, but it is so much better when you go in not knowing exactly what to expect.
I'm pretty much the opposite of Lon, I am so hopelessly in love with horror (not that Lon isn't a fan...read on before you think I am making assumptions lol) that I probably love too many (meaning some bad ones too...) but this one I had to see this one 2 times, it is just one of the best in a long while. Try not to read so much about it, but if ou have read this thread then you probably know too much already and I wouldn't be surprised if you said it didn't hold up to the hype...so get to it!

Edit: Also Lon, though I think we are both reading a bit much into LOL, I pretty well agree with what you wrote, but I was thinking that the ancient Gods were the Audience, instead of the writer/director trying to please themselves they are trying to please the audience, but either way it was somewhat the same sort of metaphor I was thinking of.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-04-20 14:30:56)

^^^ That's one thing I liked about the film, that in terms of metaphor it can be seen from numerous different angles.  You saw it as a play on the horror viewer; I saw it as a play on the horror writer.  The film is so well-written it can be read just as well either way.

As for reading too much into stuff -- well, that's kind of my thing. lol

Vamp_Slayer wrote:
swollenguy wrote:

Stop reading the spoilers then!! I mean the movie is fun regardless, but it is so much better when you go in not knowing exactly what to expect.
I'm pretty much the opposite of Lon, I am so hopelessly in love with horror (not that Lon isn't a fan...read on before you think I am making assumptions lol) that I probably love too many (meaning some bad ones too...) but this one I had to see this one 2 times, it is just one of the best in a long while. Try not to read so much about it, but if ou have read this thread then you probably know too much already and I wouldn't be surprised if you said it didn't hold up to the hype...so get to it!

Edit: Also Lon, though I think we are both reading a bit much into LOL, I pretty well agree with what you wrote, but I was thinking that the ancient Gods were the Audience, instead of the writer/director trying to please themselves they are trying to please the audience, but either way it was somewhat the same sort of metaphor I was thinking of.

Don’t worry I have only been selectively browsing and avoiding reading anything in depth. Mainly just seeing if there’s a consensus with the enthusiasm, which there seems to be.

Haha ok, I understand, curiousity often gets the best of me but I try not to let it for certain things, I stayed away from reviews for this film before I saw it, not that there is a lot to spoil, just situations I guess. I hope you love the hell out of it (or at least enjoy it) on Saturday!

Yay!  My review is posted...check it out  smile

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/04/cab … ds-review/

^^^ Nice review, Mary.

"Maybe Cabin will start a whole new subgenre of smart, witty, and creative films that will bring Horror back to the fun filled days of the 80s films?

When I said I haven't been this excited for the genre since Scream, this is what I was talking about (except for the fun-filled thing; I like my horror scary, but our hopes are otherwise the same).  Like Scream, Cabin is a horror flick which calls out the horror films which came before it.  It demands a higher standard.  And while that didn't happen after Scream despite its success (it resulted in tons of rip-offs but very few actual attempts to better the genre) here's to hoping that Cabin can and will have that effect.

I am hoping it will make a change in the types of films that are being made.  I think it would be pretty difficult to rip this one off, but I am sure they will figure out a way to do it!

Ok...How come the only comments on my review are from people that hated it!  Someone go set them straight!  smile

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/04/cab … ds-review/

I've been expecting the backlash for this movie.  Whenever something is this popular, and getting so much praise, people will hate it for those reasons alone (yet come up with other reasons like - It sucks! - This is the dumbest effing movie ever!).  If this had been an obscure movie not many had heard of, many of those same people would be screaming form the hills about how brilliant this movie is.

Now...that's not to say there aren't people that don't like this movie just cuz they don't like it.  Of course there are, and that's fine.  However, I absolutely believe many won't like it for the reasons mentioned here.

A few plot points I was confused about or just irritated by.

What was the energy reroute from upstairs that caused the electrical glitch? Was this suggesting that the director was trying to sabotage the operation? Or does upstairs mean the aboveground world? They didn't get a chance to explain it because they were distracted with the red phone ringing.

Why was there no one sitting at the security desk by the elevator? How was it completely unmanned? And how was it SO easy for Dana to activate the system purge? (1) Why does this function even exist? and (2) Why isn't there some sort of key or biometric identifier to activate such a dangerous mechanism?

Why did they send ONE guy to kill Marty? They obviously had a huge SWAT team. If it was such an important task, they could have sent at least two guys.

(Ok, as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that the guy who was sitting at the security desk must have been the one guy who was told to kill them at the elevator. This now makes much more sense to me.)

Very entertaining movie.
I understand Whedon’s comment about “loving hate letter to horror movie’s” It was great the way they found originality and broke away from clichés  by calling out clichés and having fun with them. Other horror movies like Scream have tired this but still never moved beyond the clichés, Where Cabin moved far beyond and I love that. That’s where its magic is: “moving beyond”. Most action or horror gets dragged down by writers or directors not willing to move past formula or worse, you get ones that do but the end result is an asinine mess. For a director to move beyond he (or she) needs to be able to balance style and substance, too much style you get Resident Evil too much substance you run the risk of pretentiousness, Cabin found the  balance.

Not a perfect film but a great one and I am sure an instant cult classic.

swollenguy wrote:

Very entertaining movie.
I understand Whedon’s comment about “loving hate letter to horror movie’s” It was great the way they found originality and broke away from clichés  by calling out clichés and having fun with them. Other horror movies like Scream have tired this but still never moved beyond the clichés, Where Cabin moved far beyond and I love that. That’s where its magic is: “moving beyond”. Most action or horror gets dragged down by writers or directors not willing to move past formula or worse, you get ones that do but the end result is an asinine mess. For a director to move beyond he (or she) needs to be able to balance style and substance, too much style you get Resident Evil too much substance you run the risk of pretentiousness, Cabin found the  balance.

Not a perfect film but a great one and I am sure an instant cult classic.

Very well said swollen. More often than not, unfortunately, writers and filmmakers stick to that basic mold for whatever sub-genre. Cabin in the Woods breaks the mold and gives us something a bit more original all the while cracking jokes and poking fun of all the filmsI that created and came from the "mold". Basically, the message I got from Cabin was to writers and filmmakers saying, hey, horror fans want to see something original and different.

Hopefully they get the message.

I absolutely loved it. I just didn't like the last 20 seconds.

The Cabin in the Woods Movie is used the best quality of sounds and Videos, Really a very enjoyable,  I watched The Cabin in the wood Movie Online with Friends.

I did enjoy this movie but i felt slightly disappointed given the HUGE hype round it. Good film film but no masterpiece by any means. The only film that blew me away recently was Dread (2009) CITW gets a low 8(8.0) for me.