Re: Favorite Foreign Films

havent really seen alot, but recently have got into it. my faves are

High tension
Mother of tears
REC
inside

Last edited by sexwithcorpses (2008-06-11 06:54:48)

Mine favorite movie is The Killer. RAAZ and some other movie ....i like to watch those movie have so many ghost and i will fight with them i know ghost are a imagination they are not real that's why i am ready for fight with them (ghost).

Wow, this is a tough thread. Especially since over half the stuff I watch is foreign. I'd have to say The Beyond, Zombi 2, High Tension, Inside, and [Rec] are the top ones right now.

I've been a lifelong fan of foreign horror movies and I was ashamed to say this, but now I am not, The Orphanage is my favorite.  It was such a great movie.  Sure, classics like Audition and oldschool J horror like Oldboy are great, but Orphanage is one of the best.

these lists are nearly impossible for me - so many films with so many different things to offer but I'll give it a go:
I've decided not to consider Japanese or British films which deserve their own list IMO and I also excluded Argento or Fulci because hopefully I'm already preaching to the converted in that area. I'm a huge advocate of older lesser known films, so I won't mention newer films like High Tension, Them, Sheitan, [REC] etc. that have really brought life back into the genre in the last few years:
Blood And Roses 1960
early take on Le Fanu's 'Carmilla' directed by Roger Vadim of 'And God Created Woman' fame.
Despite its kinda brief running time and very little of the red stuff I really enjoy this entry. Carmilla is attracted to her cousin but when things don't go as planned bodies start droppin. Could she actually be the reincarnation of her vampiric ancestor? Lush sets and great cinematography overshine this little film's faults.
Vampyres 1974
one of my favorite 70's horror films. 2 lesbian vampires feed on the unfortunates who stumble across their path. Ample flesh, ample blood, suspenseful, erotic, great mood and atmosphere.
and oops it's a British film...but a Spanish director, close enough
All The Colors Of The Dark 1972
Sergio Martino's (Torso) superb giallo starring the delectable Edwige Fenech. Traumatized by childhood violence and the recent death of her baby Jane starts having lucid nightmares. Concerned friends offer counsel which eventually leads her to participate in a black mass. Needless to say this probably won't help matters and her mania only deepens. I think Dario must of took notes to develop Deep Red.
Der Todesking 1990 aka The Death King.
I'll edge this out over Buttgereit's Nekro films just for variety of topic. Short tales all involving madness and suicide. The low production values actually seem to add to it's depressive and bleak tone, and while not nearly as gory as the aforementioned it does have considerable shock value.
Possession 1981
Andrzej Zulawski's over the top tale of self loathing and jealousy. The lovely Isabelle Adjani (Nosferatu remake) and Sam Neil star as the most dysfunctional couple this side of War Of The Roses. Marital infidelity meets new heights of ickdom. I'll admit this film is kinda hard to get through but the climax will have you staring in disbelief.
Tombs Of The Blind Dead 1971
Amando de Ossorio's first entry in the Knights Templar cannon. Slow moving and slight of dialogue but something about these creeps will get under your skin. Noteworthy ending and fantastic atmosphere make this an enjoyable romp.
Seven Women For Satan 1976
Michel Lemoine's tale of a troubled man and his inherent ancestry which seems to have given him a taste for torturing young ladies and lucid visions, aided in no small part by his butler.
This film holds many faults but if you like stuff like Mark Of The Devil where there's plenty of pretty flesh to defile creatively then this is up your alley.
Flavia The Heretic 1974
Flavia is fed up with the blasphemies and male dominated nature of her cloister and decides to escape with disastrous results. Next to the Japanese entry 'School of the Holy Beast' this is one of the best of the many nunsploitation films IMHO.
Black Sunday 1960 if you haven't seen this film then I feel for you. Filmed in black and white and expertly directed by maestro Mario Bava. A witch burns at the stake but not before promising bloody revenge. Atmosphere, suspense, engaging story, bloodletting, a real gem.
Inquisition 1976 Couldn't get away without including a Paul Naschy flick. Can't describe his appeal but much like Jean Rollin & Jess Franco I'm always intrigued by the ideas afoot even if they aren't fully realized. Torture, depravity and nudity served up with a heavy hand. Possibly the nastiest Naschy vehicle in his resume (at least in the seldom seen directors cut).

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2008-07-28 20:09:28)

some non-horror faves:
Singapore Sling
Weekend
The Beast (Borowczyk)
Sweet Movie
La Grande Bouffe
Irreversible
Spirits Of The Dead (Poe with Bardot & Fonda, hubba hubba)
Violated Angels
Trans Europ-Express
The Virgin Spring

Last edited by deadhorse13 (2008-07-29 13:57:36)

Just give me:

Tale of Two Sisters
Devil's Backbone
Versus

and I'll be happy enough.  Those aren't the only ones I've seen or like by a longshot, but those are the ones I keep showing to others when the time comes for me to pick a movie.

I also really like The Ugly.

All good films, I'm just hoping to turn these younger cats onto the groovy scenes of yesteryear

All of the older foreign horror movies are great but some of the new ones just take it to another level.  Weekend is a great one as is Violate Angels.  Just when myself or others mention the newer ones, I say it because with so many GREAT ideas already made into horror movies, and new guys still finding ways to scare us and be unique, it's just amazing.

Also, I know it's not a pure foreign horror movie, but Cannibal Holocaust is one of the best I've seen.  The lore surrounding the movie, the utter disregard for animals and the brutality make it a modern classic

Zombi 2
Pan's Labyrinth
Versus
The Room...

I like it very much!:P

support @ www.fntoy.com