Topic: so why are all the good horror tv shows being cancelled nowadays??

shows like tales from the crypt and masters of horror were great so why were they cancelled it just dosent make any since too me

Re: so why are all the good horror tv shows being cancelled nowadays??

Simple, ratings.  And idiot studio execs that don't understand that creating a compelling story requires several episodes to provide the background for the show.  For example, "The Walking Dead" would have never made it on a broadcast channel because it has lulls where is builds characterization.  There was a show like "Harper's Island" that got canceled after 3 (three!) episodes because it was too slow. 

On the other hand, this is not that bad of a period of time for horror shows-
Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Supernatural
Haven

and please someone let me know the others I'm missing, 'cause I know that I am.

Would Angel and Buffy count as horror? I guess they have horror elements at least. A lot of great shows get cancelled prematurely, some they don't even let the series finish before axing it. I'm surprised American horror story made it as it's quite slow and the disturbing elements mean it's not for your average casual horror fan. =/ I've been wanting to watch Haven though, supernatural doesn't do it for me unfortunately and I'm not a massive fan of zombies.

^^
I'd say Buffy and Angel count as horror, since it has all the ghoulies and such.  I was just thinking of current shows.  If we want to go down memory lane we can add Dark Shadows, Tales from the Darkside, that one from Showtime, etc.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-05-06 14:50:11)

I used to love Eerie Indiana, miss that show. Same as Freddy's Nightmare's for the occasional appearance of Robert Englund if nothing else. Been getting into MTV's Death Valley, unfortunately I have a feeling that it will also be cancelled soon.

Were have I been, i had did not here about the remake of  Being Human! 
I just saw on this list!

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres … =tv_series

Nice list Bassi! Good find. Being human? Isn't that the british one with the wearwolf, ghost and vampire living together? Or am I mistaken?

This is UK one (2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1349938/

This one a remake (2011)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1595680/

azathoth wrote:

Simple, ratings.  And idiot studio execs that don't understand that creating a compelling story requires several episodes to provide the background for the show.  For example, "The Walking Dead" would have never made it on a broadcast channel because it has lulls where is builds characterization.  There was a show like "Harper's Island" that got canceled after 3 (three!) episodes because it was too slow. 

Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Supernatural
Haven

sooty

azathoth wrote:

Walking Dead
American Horror Story
Supernatural
Haven

True Blood!!!
Grimm
Dexter

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-05-14 20:31:57)

I would say that  these shows might be not doing well what their promoter expected now a day’s people are more into serious or comedy stuffs like Charlie sheen shows and CIA type stuffs. I only watch true blood and how I met your mother which excites me a lot.
lists

Last edited by jamieron082 (2012-07-17 23:10:35)

Plain and simply because they are horror shows.
IMO,for a long time both horror themed movies and TV shows have been treated as novelties rather than being taken seriously and there for are given less of a chance to thrive than most TV shows.

I like Sci fi and horror shows but finding ones that are really good and I enjoy is pretty difficult. I'm so picky with my TV shows, If I'm gonna dedicate hours of my life to them I have to be sold on them. I spend 7/8 years following Lost, anxiously waiting for each weeks installment wondering what the dramatic conclusion will be. They let it run its course and it ended badly yet with shows that were good, funny, scary and dramatic they cancel them half way through seasons so we don't even get some answers. It's an insult to those of us who put time aside to dedicate it to these series. It's really disheartening. While junk like The only way is essex and crap like that get series after series after series. Argh makes me angry.

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-07-18 06:50:37)