Re: Rob zombie. Love him or hate him?

"A scientific boner"? you should take that to a lab,

if you can’t find a lab try a golden retriever.

Ghostseeker wrote:

This has been discussed quite a bit on several Threads.

I am somewhat alone here in that I liked Corpses more the Devils Rejects.  I did like Devils Rejects too...though I had no sympathy for Otis and Company and wanted them to die, horribly.

I loved the atmosphere of Corpses.  Isolation and tension.  Plus weird stuff thrown in.

Ultra - I hope you gave / give Corpses a go and let us know whacha think.

Halloween 2 was horrid.

I think Rob has some great visions and ideas, but hes yet to put it all together to make that magnificent movie.  Maybe it will be Salem?

Either way, if nothing else, I appreciate his love for the genre.

you are not alone Ghosty i said ages ago that i preferred "House Of  a thousand Corpses " to "The Devil's Rejects". i don't consider " the devil's rejects" as a horror film it is violent action along the lines of "Natural Born Killers" which also isn't a horror film. i also agree  with you  that the characters are unsympathetic  and you want them to be punished ( in both films) i don't dislike "devils rejects" i have both films in my collection but i prefer " House of" because it is more the horror film. i didn't mind the first  zombie " Halloween " and also thought Mcdowell was a long, long long way behind Donald Pleascence, like everyone else i think " Halloween 2" is not very good at all.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-05-09 14:29:42)

^^^ If it's less safe you want, check out Megan is Missing.  Very hardhitting story about abduction that doesn't pull any punches.

^^
While I'm for hard hitting movies, those types of films kind of turn me off.  Probably because I live near a city that has such violence daily.  The local paper is full of such awful stuff I don't want to watch inhumanity against humanity anymore.  10 years ago, sure, but it has gotten really really bad here.  Thankfully, I'm far enough away that it hasn't spread this far, but it is creeping out to the suburbs. 

Seriously, why can people just be nice to each other?  It would be like me meeting Lon for the first time in person and just driving a spike into his head.  That's the type of shit that happens in Philly.  I have such sorrow over this, because I have the belief that we, humankind, can strive to achieve great things. 

Yes, there have been people that have done great evil.  But there are so many people that do such great good, albeit on a much smaller scale.  Like the former football coach of Rutgers, who had a player paralyzed 2-3 years ago, but is slowly working his way back.  His docs say that his recovering nerves are "um, we have no idea why this is happening."  Anyway, the coach is now the head coach for the NFL's Tampa Bay Bucs, and gave the kid a contract this year.  It would have been the kid's graduating year.  There's no money, but they will let him hang at their facilities and games, and they are using an actual roster spot for him.  On top of that, when the kid was first hurt, the coach and the kid's mom would take turns staying overnight looking over him. 

I wish there were 10 stories like the above to every bad story on the news.  Maybe I'm just being silly.  We have come far (slavery, realizing women are people), but we need to go further.  There is no reason we can't.

Sorry about that philosophical rant.  Didn't mean to derail the topic.
(And Lon, no, I do not ever plan on planting a spike into your head if we ever meet.  However, I might shave Wolfy. big_smile  )

Last edited by azathoth (2012-05-09 17:52:28)

Speaking of RZ...lookie what I got!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/dbcombs/2012-05-09_19-21-20_319.jpg

Cool!^

ChainSaW80 wrote:

Speaking of RZ...lookie what I got!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n174/dbcombs/2012-05-09_19-21-20_319.jpg

Megadeth!!!

Always brings back this colossally cool scene featuring Michael Wincott from Talk Radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOFhZVTAmAA

the full scene. Wincott rules!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXA9fswt … re=related

I love him. I don't like his music however, except for maybe a couple of tunes, but as a filmmaker I love all 4 of the films he has put out. For me I loved HO1KC right away, and the Halloween remake because I just never get enough of slashers so you would be hard pressed to find a slasher that I don't like or love. It was Devils Rejects and H2 that grew on me, I thought them good when I saw them and on repeat viewings grew to love them. I know many hate H2 but I love it now, maybe it didn't feel like a Halloween film but there is a strangeness and insanity about it that definitely grew on me. So all in all movie wise I love the guy, no misses with me at this point.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-05-11 16:56:23)

I watched HO1KC the other day. Was ok, more of a comedy with horror elements tbh. The first hour was good, I enjoyed it. Sadly it didn't follow through for me. But, Spaulding is now my favourite clown ever! I would have happily watched it if he was the only character.

I like Rob Zombie, his music and his first film was fun, BUT, he needs to step outside his evil redneck/hillbilly comfort zone, because it's becoming derivative. (Not sure why it cut off the first time I posted this but anywho)

I would love to see him do something really different!

Last edited by Ophelia (2012-06-04 13:46:58)

House of a thousand corpses is a very legit TCM style Horror film.  Most people love Devil's Rejects and don't even mention House.  But House is a pure Horror film unlike Devil's Rejects.  One of the better Horror films to come out of the last 15 years.  It really is a modern day TCM.

I didn't find HO1KC is really a legit horror. It seemed more like one big music video but after watching it a second time I can see all the homages and tributes to the greats but it isn't purely horror, there is a lot of very well placed black comedy there which makes the film more enjoyable. I've not seen Rejects yet.

I think Rob is great.

House of 1000 Corpses was a fun, solid horror movie. The Devil's Rejects is his masterpiece, IMO. His Halloween remake was great, and I even enjoy Halloween 2. It's certainly the worst of his movies, yes, but after a few watches, I really like it now. I thought Taylor Scout Compton did a great job with continuing the role of Laurie, and personally, I thought it was fun to see the dark side of Loomis. Really looking forward to The Lords of Salem.

Also, his music is awesome. Both his solo stuff and with White Zombie.
His latest disc, Hellbilly Deluxe 2, was a really good horror rock/metal album.

Last edited by The Creature (2012-06-04 15:43:44)

I certainly respect him. I have never heard of Rob Zombie until he started directing, (yea I don't listen to rock)...and I respect a man who jumps into directing and he has certainly elevated his skill since. I respect the fact that he does keep it real on interviews, no movie industry cliches. I respect the fact that he is a fan of the genre.
But....he needs to keep his project material original. Have no idea why he would want to make a remake or re-imagining or whatever of a classic like 'Halloween'. Must have been the payday because artistically it was a losing endeavor.  However...enjoyed 'TDR' & I look forward to his next  ORIGINAL project even though he has a fascination with large men killing people.

The reason he jumped on the Halloween remake is because Miramax/Dimension were spreading around that they were interested in remaking the material and looking for new, upcoming directors interested in scoring a first big credit and who might be interested.  Zombie campaigned for it, so that none of those same some up-and-coming fuck-sticks who didn't care about the material and were only looking for a first credit wouldn't take the material and ruin it. 

Personally, I thought he did an admirable job.  Granted the last half of the remake is basically the first flick condensed down to forty five minutes, but the first half was refreshingly raw and grim, IMO.

I like him. I dig his music and I think his films are great. 1000 Corpses is like carnival sideshow. The colors, characters and mayhem make for good, fun horror. Granted he threw in a few cliches and was clearly influenced by certain films, but I don't care. I really enjoy it every time I see it. Rejects is a kick-ass piece of cinema, IMO. It's such a stark and gritty contrast to Corpses. The dialogue was brilliant. My husband and I still quote it on a regular basis. His first Halloween remake isn't near as perfect as Carpenter's, but I still like it. The second however, I didn't care for on first viewing. The white horse thing completely threw me. I have seen it several times since then and changed my opinion. It's my least favorite of his, but still better than a lot of the crap being churned out these days.

I'm not a big fan of his style (or skill), for the most part, but I recognize he has passion for his work.  And I'd take an Ed Wood over a Uwe Boll any day, and thrice on Thursday.

I do not care for RZ's brand of house-metal and though I don't doubt his love for the horror genre, I don't care for his white trash take on the genre either.  HO1KC was exactly what I expected from him for his 1st film and I really didn't hate it as much as others seem to.  Saw TDR in the theater, but I didn't really care for it and thought he failed to capture the 70s grindhouse vibe he was shooting for.  Like Natural Born Killers, it was a hard sell trying to romanticize a group of murderous lowlifes as heroic badasses.  With that said, I got a kick out of Sid Haig, but wanted to puncture my eardrums anything his wife opened her mouth.

Then there came Halloween.  I know I'm alone in this but I'd rather watch Halloween: Resurrection than sit through this again.  I tried to like it because I love the Halloween franchise - the good, bad, and embarrassingly awful.  I didn't need to know Michael's white trash background.  I hate it that he made him a pouty faced, too cool for school, rock n' roll brat.  I guess we were supposed to feel sorry for him, but like most all of RZ's characters, he was hard to empathize with.  Of course, then he turned him in a hulking, superhuman pro wrestler that wasn't as scary as RZ thought he was.  He also picked a poor Laurie.  Plus, the movie just doesn't FEEL like Halloween, which brings us to...

One of the worst big budget horror movies of the past decade:  Halloween II.  How are we supposed to care about Laurie when she's become such a ratty ass, irritating douchebag?  Heck, I had a hard time caring about Danielle Harris's character, and it's pretty hard for me to NOT LIKE her.  I always loved Pleasence's nutty Loomis, but McDowell's, particularly in this one, was just terrible.  Then he gives his wife an even bigger, nonsensical role that had me holding my head.  I just wanted it to be over.  I know he wanted to make these movies dark and brutal, but did they have to be so shitty?  Give me Halloween 6:  The Curse of Michael Myers ANY day of the week.  At least it's fun in a so-bad-it's... er, fun way.

I even tried watching that El Superbeasto cartoon.  Didn't make it past 30 minutes.  No, I won't give it another chance.  I don't think filmmaking is RZ's calling.  Hell, I don't think making "music" is his calling either, BUT some sick part of me wants to give Lords of Salem a chance even though the plot description sounds lousy.  Who knows, maybe he'll do something good someday.  What can I say?  We horror fans are gluttons for punishment.

I'm cool with Rob just because Devil's Rejects is so awesome.  Halloween 1 was barely OK and Halloween 2 most hated.  I really enjoy House of a Thousand Corpses and love his originality when it comes to music/dialogue/casting/humor/horror in those 2 movies.  Devil's Rejects never gets old.

Not a fan of his music either, pretty much only a fan of Corpses and Rejects.  Two damn good movies, especially in a world that doesn't produce many great original characters/scripts.  I know House of a Thousand Corpses just pays homage to movies like TCM, but it still has Sid Haig and all his hilarious ass quotes.  It still has Mosely raising hell literally.  Zombie definitely isn't one of my favorite directors...

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-01 18:03:30)

Maxwell wrote:

One of the worst big budget horror movies of the past decade:  Halloween II.  How are we supposed to care about Laurie when she's become such a ratty ass, irritating douchebag?  Heck, I had a hard time caring about Danielle Harris's character, and it's pretty hard for me to NOT LIKE her.  I always loved Pleasence's nutty Loomis, but McDowell's, particularly in this one, was just terrible.  Then he gives his wife an even bigger, nonsensical role that had me holding my head.  I just wanted it to be over.  I know he wanted to make these movies dark and brutal, but did they have to be so shitty?

While I enjoyed RZ's first Halloween, I completely agree with you on his H2.  It's just a dark, ugly, depressing movie with not a single likeable character (aside from Brad Dourif's Sheriff Brackett).  I didn't care what happened to Lori Strode in this movie because she was a whiny, punk ass bitch.  And poor Danielle Harris...  After this flick I totally understand why she decided to give directing a shot.  She deserves better.

But, as bad as the movie was, RZ won me over enough with The Devil's Rejects and Halloween '07 that I'm willing to give him another shot or two.  Here's to hoping Lords of Salem turns out good.  It's got a horror movie cast to kill for, so I have some amount of hope for it.

LoudLon wrote:
Maxwell wrote:

One of the worst big budget horror movies of the past decade:  Halloween II.  How are we supposed to care about Laurie when she's become such a ratty ass, irritating douchebag?  Heck, I had a hard time caring about Danielle Harris's character, and it's pretty hard for me to NOT LIKE her.  I always loved Pleasence's nutty Loomis, but McDowell's, particularly in this one, was just terrible.  Then he gives his wife an even bigger, nonsensical role that had me holding my head.  I just wanted it to be over.  I know he wanted to make these movies dark and brutal, but did they have to be so shitty?

While I enjoyed RZ's first Halloween, I completely agree with you on his H2.  It's just a dark, ugly, depressing movie with not a single likeable character (aside from Brad Dourif's Sheriff Brackett).  I didn't care what happened to Lori Strode in this movie because she was a whiny, punk ass bitch.  And poor Danielle Harris...  After this flick I totally understand why she decided to give directing a shot.  She deserves better.

But, as bad as the movie was, RZ won me over enough with The Devil's Rejects and Halloween '07 that I'm willing to give him another shot or two.  Here's to hoping Lords of Salem turns out good.  It's got a horror movie cast to kill for, so I have some amount of hope for it.

I'm being hard on the guy, but I just don't like much of anything he does.  I think he has it in him to do something good, but I agree with what someone posted earlier about him needing to get away from the whole evil hillbilly mire he's wallowing in.  There's something about his work, music and film, that I can't appreciate.  It's my hang up.

The thing about Rob Zombie is he is a creative force in terms, Although I love his music and films I felt he was pressured with the remakes and when he eventually went off in his own direction with Halloween 2 everyone hated it for their own reasons White horse, Dead Mom, Micheal's look ect.. because they were expecting it to be like Halloween 2 (1981) but it wasn't. I like Zombie's Halloweens because it's his own telling of the films. His writting lacks I'll admitt but his directing skills are great. He just needs to stick to his own things.

I like Rob Zombie. His passion for the art is always a pleasure, and I like his music quite a bit too. I personally love his style, it's very bold in a sense, and benefits the horror genre well. I really enjoyed his Halloween movies, but at the same time I recognize they aren't very good movies either. Just he has a way of letting the viewer into his films and makes them feel like they're watching a true movie and not an imitation of reality. Just my two cents, and can't wait for Lords of Salem.

I just read that Zombie had to reshoot all the scenes he filmed with Richard Lynch in Lords of Salem because the actor was near-blind and barely capable of getting through his scenes.  I wondered why no mention has been made of him in early reviews for the flick, and I suppose that explains it.

What I didn't know was that Zombie replaced him with Andrew Prine -- another great 70s genre actor who's been off the radar for far too long.  Like Tarantino, Zombie has a knack for using great genre actors who have slipped into obscurity and bringing them back to horror fans' attention.

I'm thinking maybe I'll send him a list of forgotten actors I'd like to see him use in his next movie.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to see Bruce Abbott show up in a new horror flick.  And speaking of Re-Animator actors, why hasn't he used Jeffrey Combs yet?