Topic: DirtyGirl's Top Ten Haunted House Movies

Here are my Top Ten Haunted House movies...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/05/top … se-movies/

This was a real tough one to narrow down to 10,  and I left some favourites off for sure.  My runners up were The Innkeepers and Devil's Backbone. 

What are your favourite Ghost or Haunted House Movies?

Re: DirtyGirl's Top Ten Haunted House Movies

Whaa, no "House on Haunted Hill"?  Shame, shame on you!  tongue
And if you want to expand a bit, you could put "Event Horizon" into the mix as "haunted space house." (I know that EH is not a favorite around here, but I like it.)

The Innkeepers has to be one of my favourite, I love what Ti West did with that movie

Awesome list DG!  Ghosts / demon movies scare me the most. 

A couple of them stuck out as some I love too.

I'd add the Paranormal Activities to my list. 

Insidious is one of my favorite movies, but I guess I didn't think of it as a haunted house movie (not arguing).  If Insidious fits on your list, then I'd throw in The Exorcist on mine. 

Nice addition of House on Haunted Hill Az.  The remake would be on mine.  Great movie.

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-05-12 17:41:55)

azathoth wrote:

Whaa, no "House on Haunted Hill"?  Shame, shame on you!  tongue
And if you want to expand a bit, you could put "Event Horizon" into the mix as "haunted space house." (I know that EH is not a favorite around here, but I like it.)

EH has its moments but that one scene with cliched black guy speech ruins the film for me. HERE I COME MUTHERFUCKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

^^
But it is Laurence Fishburne.  Only him, Samuel L., Wesley Snipes, and Richard Roundtree can pull that line off and just rock the world.  (OK, I may be missing someone from something)  I'd say Pootie Tang, but he doesn't speak any identifiable language!  "Suppa ty, motherfucker"?  lol

No I mean this scene. Its laugh out loud funny and totally out of place in the movie. I believe the guy who plays 'Cooper' is called Richard.T.Jones.  "Where the f*** am i going Why does this shit happen to me! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUozFOlxVnM

Very nice list DG! I'd have to say my favorite is Legend of Hell House. I loved everything about it, the atmosphere, acting, everything! But, that's just my two cents. big_smile

Thanks Guys,  I certainly thought of Paranormal Activity as well.  But I consider them part of the demon genre rather than ghost so I didn't include them.  I really thought about the last item on my list, The Haunting.  It was between The Haunting and Devil's Backbone, and The Haunting is such a classic because there are no OTT special FX used just old fashioned suspense and great actors.  Loved It. 

There is another great Ghost movie that comes to mind as welll...And Now the Screaming Starts from Amicus.  There are some great scares and a great storyline too.  I think the main thing that ties all those movies together and makes them great are the storylines.  Almost all of them have a mystery to solve, or a twist ending.   I sure do love the Ghost movies smile

@Vasquez-  OK, that one was just lol funny.  Dude's all cool, doin' his thang, then flips out.  I see what you are saying about the cliche part of that scene; really comes out of nowhere.

another solid list Mary. i've seen them all apart from

damn i really hate that bloody spam bot! i did this yesterday and forgot what i wrote now! basically Mary i said i certainly don't argue with your number one choice " the Changeling" a good film! i would have " The Haunting" (1963)  a lot nearer the top spot. and " The Shining" a lot further the other way, but i've covered that ground before and while it is ok i feel it over rated. The only film on your list i haven't seen is "The Awakening". i too like " Legend Of Hell House". i actually prefer the remake of " Amityville Horror" to the 1979 original. other good ghost films not necessacerily " Haunted House" ones are "Ghost Story" (1982) i know that gets mixed views but i like that one, " A Haunting In Connecticut", "The Others", "The Entity" and depending on how far back you want to go but " The Uninvited" (1944) is a pretty good haunted house film.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-05-13 04:34:16)

A great list! Only one I would change is The Haunting, I know I may get stoned by some for saying this but it bored me to tears. It felt so terribly paced and uneventful to me. The Shining is one of my top ten favorite horror movies ever. I would have to mention An American Haunting even though it is a bit iffy for this listof but I really dig that movie.

Az, I liked EH quite a bit myself...kinda like Hellraiser in space.

What about

Stephen King's Rose Red ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZlrlTbudw

House
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQsT7U6QXK0

Ju-On
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fd0OaNBHGk

Night of the demons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzuj2eavtU

ChainSaW80 wrote:

A great list! Only one I would change is The Haunting, I know I may get stoned by some for saying this but it bored me to tears. It felt so terribly paced and uneventful to me.

you heathen sir! how dare you belittle one of the best " Haunted House films " ever committed to film! i will not pick up a stone to cast at you, but the biggest rock i can muster! wink

no that's absolutely fine, as we are always saying we all have our own opinions and usually don't take offence at someone's personal opinion and that's what it's all about and long may it continue and if that ever changed and led to unpleasantness i wouldn't stay round here. the members on here have more respect and appreciation than that. "Bollocks" to the narrow minded i say smile

@fmv-
For Ju-on, not sure if that counts since it ranges out of the house.
For Night of the Demons, are demons a haunting?  (Not saying they're not, since I put up Event Horizon, and who knows what the hell that/him really was.)

wolfman1959 wrote:

another solid list Mary. i've seen them all apart from

damn i really hate that bloody spam bot! i did this yesterday and forgot what i wrote now! basically Mary i said i certainly don't argue with your number one choice " the Changeling" a good film! i would have " The Haunting" (1963)  a lot nearer the top spot. and " The Shining" a lot further the other way, but i've covered that ground before and while it is ok i feel it over rated. The only film on your list i haven't seen is "The Awakening". i too like " Legend Of Hell House". i actually prefer the remake of " Amityville Horror" to the 1979 original. other good ghost films not necessacerily " Haunted House" ones are "Ghost Story" (1982) i know that gets mixed views but i like that one, " A Haunting In Connecticut", "The Others", "The Entity" and depending on how far back you want to go but " The Uninvited" (1944) is a pretty good haunted house film.

lol...I was hoping you would come back and finish that thought smile

Actually when I first started the list, it was just a best ghost movie list and Ghost Story was #2.  But I realized 90% were Haunted House and changed the list.  I had to pull Ghost Story because she was haunting the whole Chowder Society not just a House.  Good Call Wolfie smile

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-05-13 19:23:44)

^^
Yum, chowda.  big_smile

Thanks for list,  I am in mood for some Haunted house movies that seen!

Here list of haunted house movies I have seen

13 Ghost both
A Haunting in Connecticut (Need Re-watch)
An American Haunting
All The Amityville movies
Beetlejuice
Boogeyman
The Changeling
Darkness
The Devil's Backbone
The Entity
All Grudge movies
Haunting of Winchester House
The House
The House on haunted Hill both
The Haunting (Both)
The Innocents
Insidious
The Messengers
The Orphanage
The Others
Paranormal Activity movies
Poltergeist movies
Session_9
Stir of Echoes both
The Shining both

Those all haunted house i have seen,  what haunted movie have missed?

Here are some of movies, i will be watching over next two week,
The Echo (2004) , The Legend of Hell House (1973), Let's scare Jessica to death (1971) , Lady in White (1988), The Beyond (1981), The Innkeepers (2011),Burnt Offerings (1976)

Last edited by BASSI (2012-08-18 12:01:19)