Topic: The Serpent and the Rainbow - any fans of the movie?

When I was a little kid back in the mid 1980s or whenever this movie came out in theaters, I remember the first trailer for this movie on tv. It scared the beejeezus out of me.

I thought tbe  blood seeping into the coffin was slime.

Re: The Serpent and the Rainbow - any fans of the movie?

Serpent and and Rainbow is CLASSIC. Brilliant torture scene (I want to hear you scccreeeaaammm) great acting, creepy visuals. Fantastic flick!

Love the movie, tried to sit down my kids to watch this a while back, and thought it was boring
(18 and 16, not really kids anymore) my question is, is the better plot based movies being completely replaced by gore and action only movies. Seems like it to me, most movies have half the plot and it for people with ADHD now.

It is a good movie but i wasn't THAT impressed by it. Good acting and at certain points interesting visuals but ultimately forgettable for me. 7/10 for me

Vasquez wrote:

It is a good movie but i wasn't THAT impressed by it. Good acting and at certain points interesting visuals but ultimately forgettable for me. 7/10 for me

tend to agree with this. not Craven's best but a long way from his worst. some good moments certainly and it does tend to go off on a tangent at times. 7/10 is a fair mark i think.

Good horror movie. I like how it's an 80's movie bringing back the voodoo zombie theme. You never see that anymore, such a nice break from the gore-athon of the other 80's zombie flicks (which are amazing though, don't get me wrong)! It's a bit different, which I like.

I really like this movie. It's well paced, has a creepy atmosphere, and centers around the roots of the zombie legend.

Back then Serpent and the  Rainbow was a pretty good scary flick and I didnt know it was based on a true story.

The movie did get a little weird at the end where the Paul Winfeld's character got burned like Freddy and yet he was still alive to fight Bill Pullman's character.

Also didn't Bill Pullman's character conjure up some weird voodoo ghost to scare and harm the main  bad guy at the end of the movie?

Zakes Mokae, scariest horror villain ever.

Thought it was a decent movie.  Sorta creepy i guess

Solid film, not great, nice atmosphere.  Has some funky scenes.
7/10

I dig it, not a favorite of mine, but I can think of many worse films out there

The book and movie are quite different. I'll be honest I like both quite a bit, but I have a fetish for Voodoo. There is a pun in there somewhere. Here's the link to the book for those who wish to check out some great anthro stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Serpent-Rainb … 0684839296

I thought it was a very good film but not one of my favourites.  7/10

i'm with most other people on this. watchable but not one of my favourites. 7/10

octopoid wrote:

The book and movie are quite different. I'll be honest I like both quite a bit, but I have a fetish for Voodoo. There is a pun in there somewhere. Here's the link to the book for those who wish to check out some great anthro stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Serpent-Rainb … 0684839296

I didn't know it was based on a book.....cool.

It's a good movie, but I need to watch it again because when I first watched it I was distracted by other stuff.

Just watched this for the first time in years....scary as hell.  Really enjoyed it.  I am a huge Craven fan so that helped but man, this movie is realistic as hell and very, very scary.  Especially enjoyed the last 30 minutes or so..  Reminded me of a few Tales From the Crypt episodes which were rip offs.  Craven was really trying to keep Horror alive in the 90s.  People Under the Stairs, Serpent and the Rainbow, Scream....

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-26 19:55:10)

I've never read the book but I dug the movie.  The ending feels a mite too sensational and out of place, especially since the rest of the movie was rooted in the more factual aspects of voodoo, but otherwise there's not a lot to complain about.  A solid and effective horror flick.

I haven't seen this yet but it did come with a 4-pack that I bought awhile back. After seeing the comments about it I'll def get the wife and watch it one day very soon.

^^^ Bill Pullman's great in that flick, Z.  He's a good actor; shame he hasn't done more genre stuff.  And no, I don't count that crap US remake of The Grudge.

^^I've never been a fan of the Grudge remake. Can't stand it.

I like the Grudge remake, but I am super biased because SMG is my favourite. Lol.
As for Serpent, it actually the reason I bought the Wes Craven 3 movie pack, though I did want to see the other 2 (shocker and people under the stairs, which I had seen only bits of before). Gotta watch it, for some reason I watch People under the stairs first (I really liked it! Totally entertaining, I  like movies with crazy and possessive parents, you love to hate them).

^^^ The People Under the Stairs doesn't get the love it deserves.  It's a great black comedy.  Shocker, on the other hand...  I dig Mitch Pileggi and all, but that flick is definitely a strike against both his and Craven's favor. lol

haha sadly, I have enjoyed Shocker a time or two.  One thing about it that is absurd is it is two hours long.  I don't consider it a good movie by any means, but there are so very solid moments.  It is just late 80s as hell though and Craven's movies pretty much always look great and have great music...I actually have the Wes Craven Horror Collection that you see at stores all the time which features People Under the Stairs, Serpent and the Rainbow, and Shocker.  Very, very tempted to give it a go right now haha...