Topic: Horror movie top ten list - Jaws is number one!?

What do you guys think about this horror movie top ten list?

I think I have only like 3 of them in my top 50 :S

Re: Horror movie top ten list - Jaws is number one!?

There are some classics there, like Psycho and Night of the living dead but Saw 2 #2 and Jaws #1... I guess it's personal preference.

I don't think a Horror Fan wrote that list....lol

Where is...
the Thing
Dawn of the Dead
Evil Dead 2

Whoever wrote that list is a fool.

Didn't read the list, cause lists are stupid, but...

Jaws is a great movie, but horror... SHIT NO! Thriller, sure, horror, no, just no. Same as Alien isn't a horror movie. Awesome movie, but horror, tis be not.

Only "Night" would make my list, and it occasionally drops back into Top 20 territory.  (My lists tend to shift around over time)

What bugs me about this list is their explanations of their choices.  It sounds so, smug.  And I love how they call "Alien" "an old one."  With that, you what generation of horror fans you're dealing with.  (HM youngin's, don't get riled up, you know your horror history.)

Candyman, The Hills Have Eyes (06) and Saw are excellent films though!

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-05-23 15:17:56)

Zed_Chuva wrote:

Didn't read the list, cause lists are stupid, but...

Jaws is a great movie, but horror... SHIT NO! Thriller, sure, horror, no, just no. Same as Alien isn't a horror movie. Awesome movie, but horror, tis be not.

Hey Maven! He said Alien isn't a horror movie!

I wont argue with you, but Jaws is on of my top ten favorite horror movies of all time. Anyone who don't perceive it as a horror film, that's fine. It all depends on your point of view. There has always been that argument that Silence of the Lambs is not a horror movie but a thriller, as far as im concerned thriller and horror walk the same fine line, some movies cross both sides of that line. Labeling movies is all a matter of your perception, for me if a movies scares you, makes you feel uncomfortable or makes you feel certain emotions than I would say its a "scary" movie or horror as we know it. I grew up watching Jaws, it played on tv all the time and my first trip to the beach when I was about 13 I can promise I never got into that water without thinking about it. Sure it's not scary now but its a good film and ya gotta give it props for leaving an impression like that on me and probably a number of other folks.

Vasquez wrote:

Candyman, The Hills Have Eyes (06) and Saw are excellent films though!

So how is Alien not Horror? 

Aliens bursting out of the chests, and xenamorphs that have acid blood and saliva that want to use you as a host for it's young....that's pretty scary!

^John Landis said it best when he described Alien as gothic horror, only the haunted house is replaced by a space ship.  I think I'll take his word for it. wink

Hey Maven! He said Alien isn't a horror movie!

I wont argue with you, but Jaws is on of my top ten favorite horror movies of all time. Anyone who don't perceive it as a horror film, that's fine. It all depends on your point of view. There has always been that argument that Silence of the Lambs is not a horror movie but a thriller, as far as im concerned thriller and horror walk the same fine line, some movies cross both sides of that line. Labeling movies is all a matter of your perception, for me if a movies scares you, makes you feel uncomfortable or makes you feel certain emotions than I would say its a

^
i always thought Alien was horror

oh shit i can't be bothered with this! just cut and pasted my reply again and it still didn't come out. this bot problem is so fucking irritating! mad

Vasquez wrote:

^
i always thought Alien was horror

OOps!  Sorry Vasquez, I totally copied the wrong quote!  smile 

Forgive me  xoxo

"Who wants to hook up when they watch horror anyway?"

Ahem.

^^
Well, when I watch a romantic movie with Vampy, ah, excuse me...

This Thread was fun if for nothing else all the issues with quoting.  smile

I don't normally get too excited about lists as I think people can pick what they want.  However, this was potentially the stupidest list I have ever seen in my life.  It literally seems like someone that has never seen horror found the last video store still open on earth, and had one day to pick and then rate movies.

How do you call any movie on a Top 10 any genre list, overrated?  Doesn't that invalidate the list?  If something is overrated, at all, none of the other hundreds of thousands of movies slide into that spot?

Whatever, this list just supports why I hate most people.

Ghosty - exactly what I thought! "Hey, this movie is overrated. So I guess I better rate it too..." What?!

azathoth wrote:

^^
Well, when I watch a romantic movie with Vampy, ah, excuse me...

what's that then " King Kong" h eh   heh  he he he he he ha ha ha ha  errrr.........

Ghostseeker wrote:

Good thing I'm a monkey then, eh?  big_smile

But seriously, "The Shining" is overrated?  Compared to what?  But it's still on your list?  I could give any of you 60 seconds to come up with a quick TopTen and it would be better.  Hell, 1/2 of you could do it in 30 seconds.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-05-24 15:21:04)

Ghostseeker wrote:

This Thread was fun if for nothing else all the issues with quoting.  smile

I don't normally get too excited about lists as I think people can pick what they want.  However, this was potentially the stupidest list I have ever seen in my life.  It literally seems like someone that has never seen horror found the last video store still open on earth, and had one day to pick and then rate movies.

How do you call any movie on a Top 10 any genre list, overrated?  Doesn't that invalidate the list?  If something is overrated, at all, none of the other hundreds of thousands of movies slide into that spot?

Best response ever. I'd give you a standing ovation if I could! big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

So everyone....What is all time Top Ten?  I know we have done this a million times before, But it would be fun to see some real lists smile

Here's mine....

10- Return of the Living Dead
9- Nightmare on Elmstreet
8- Curse of Frankenstein
7- The Shining
6- Lost Boys
5- Horror of Dracula
4- Alien
3- Dawn of the Dead
2- The Thing
1- Suspiria

I know I am probably forgetting something really good....hmmm

DirtyGirl wrote:

So everyone....What is all time Top Ten?  I know we have done this a million times before, But it would be fun to see some real lists smile

In no particular order, mine would be..

A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Exorcist
Dawn of the Dead
Re-Animatr
The Thing
The Blair Witch Project
Evil Dead (1 & 2)
Suspiria
Night of the Living Dead
Alien

Runner up: The Descent. Probably missed something too

OK, I hate doing these lists because it's hard for me to narrow down.  Just top of the head, and not in any order, a TopTen-

Evil Dead (1)
The Thing (Carpenter's)
Exorcist
Hellraiser 2
Torn between "Night" and "Dawn" of the Living Dead
The Shining
Ringu
Juon
Phenomena
Event Horizon
Halloween (original)

And Vampy's has her favorite-
Jaws

edit- And I still ended up with 11.  Just be happy I didn't hit 25 like the last time someone asked me to do this.  lol

Last edited by azathoth (2012-05-25 07:23:00)

Yeah, I agree with the majority responses in this thread. That list is pretty silly, and whomever wrote it is obviously very unaware of any horror movie history and probably has not seen very many horror movies at all. With that said, there are some very good titles on that list - but the explanations for them just put their ignorance on show (as clearly stated above, too). So, yeah, whoever wrote that piece - not a horror fan.

Now, as for my top ten - all orginals (with the exception of The Thing, but that's why it's JC's!)
Dawn of the Dead
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
Night of the Living Dead
JC's The Thing
An American Werewolf In London
Day of the Dead
A Nightmare On Elm Street
Return of the Living Dead
Halloween
Zombie