Re: My ultraviolent summer movie challenge.

Atrocious (2010)

Found footage films are not my thing, I loved Blair witch project but on first, second and third watch I didn't but after watching it again and learning more about it, it became one of my favourites that I could appreciate. Atrocious has a simple formula typical of the found footage genre. A family go on Easter break to their holiday home in the countryside. There's the usual legends of the area of ghosts but this one breaks that slight rule. I will try not to let on but the ending was a cop out, much of the film is pretty scary but then the ending happens... If I ever meet the makers I will let them know how strongly I felt about it too. If you've seen it you'll understand. There were also so many plot holes, the story of the girl in the red dress was at some point abandoned which was a real shame. Overall it WAS scary which is what I wanted but the ending just lets it down and theres too many plot holes.

5/10

The Silent House AKA La Casa Muda (2010)

A young girl and her father stay at a friends old house to help him clear it up ready for resale. Laura quickly finds out the house has another visitor!

This is one creepy movie! Filmed in real time on a tiny budget in Uruguay. Supposedly based on a true story although I'm not sure of the legitimacy of this claim. It is scary, for once I was scared. The jump scares were effective and not cheap and the story was ok. There is a few plot holes that I didn't get though. The ending wasn't as disappointing as some people I've seen say. The shaky camera movements are a little disorientating but it felt like I was the one following Laura around that creepy house. I enjoyed this one, can't say I'm looking forward to seeing the remake though. I wish the Remake train would slow for a bit this film is barely 2 years old! Great scary haunted house movie. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

8/10

UltraViolence wrote:

The Burning (1981)

Several years after a prank goes wrong, the horribly disfigured Janitor of a summer camp goes back to camp for revenge on the children who ruined his life.

As far as slashers go this one is pretty regular. Usual shtick but this one has something most don't. Likable teens. Most of them I really did like and didn't wish for them to die. Especially Woodstock. Tom Savinis effects are still pretty good for the time, I'm a big fan of practical effects. Every slasher fan is going to love this if they don't already. What I found most enjoyable was it was fun to watch, lots of comedy and the deaths were, not the most creative, but creative non the less. The scene on the raft was great!

8/10

I definitely have to check this one out, then. I keep hearing about it, AND it's on Netflix. Sweet.

Go for it! Sure you won't regret it. I thought it  better than Friday the 13th. Tom Savini actually declined F13  part 2 to do The Burning apparently.

The cat o'nine tails (1971)

Argento is fast becoming a favourite of mine. The imagery shown in his giallos are perfect, the soundtrack is always right and the stories are always intriguing and enjoyable. There is nothing over complicated about them and cat o'nine tails is very simple but it doesn't need to be anything more. It is essentially a murder mystery. I loved how we were put into a pov of the killer throughout the film however, I found it confusing that the blind man who started out as the main character became a secondary character to the journalist but it's no biggy. It's not that gory either. Argento didn't seem to get too gory until later on. Over all an enjoyable film but not my favourite of argentos.

Rating, a good film but not the best. 7/10

Gutted cause my Lovefilm account has expired until Tuesday sad I still have Zombies Halloween remake to watch on dvd thankfully! Will be adding it to the list.

Great list. I should try something similar. Good luck!

UltraViolence wrote:

The cat o'nine tails (1971)

Argento is fast becoming a favourite of mine. The imagery shown in his giallos are perfect, the soundtrack is always right and the stories are always intriguing and enjoyable. There is nothing over complicated about them and cat o'nine tails is very simple but it doesn't need to be anything more. It is essentially a murder mystery. I loved how we were put into a pov of the killer throughout the film however, I found it confusing that the blind man who started out as the main character became a secondary character to the journalist but it's no biggy. It's not that gory either. Argento didn't seem to get too gory until later on. Over all an enjoyable film but not my favourite of argentos.

Rating, a good film but not the best. 7/10

I agree with your rating on this film. Really not his best (and Argento was less than pleased with this film, too) but it is enjoyable at least. The Ennio Morricone music was awesome and the ending was pretty cool too, IMO.

Last edited by The Creature (2012-06-18 11:35:37)

I'd probably go as far as saying this is my least favourite of his. This one just fell a little bit flat compared to the others. Deep red was certainly the best I've seen so far but I will give him credit that all of his are entertaining and easy to follow.

Finally got my bum into gear to write watch some more movies. Uber busy few weeks lately and not getting any slower! Anyway...

Halloween (2007)

I had watched this before but only half and only  halfheartedly. I admit I'm not a massive fan of the original Halloween series. There were too many and none of them really stood out for me. The first one was good but to me not the best early slasher compared to some more maybe less iconic but more entertaining. (One being Black Christmas that I watched last night). Rob Zombie has gone up in my standards. I never really payed much attention to him because every review and trailer of his films just showed gratuitous violence without indicating a story. After watching his movies lately I have change my opinion quite a bit. However, this isn't that good a film. While his Firefly family films were fun , sometimes grim but overall brilliant, Halloween remake was bleak and unsettling for the wrong reasons. The back story was OK, it is nice to get a better summary of how Micheal Myers became the unstoppable monster but some of it seemed pointless. The rape scene which is the catalyst for his escape was unnecessary. Zombie always involves sexual violence and you can see where his influences are but sometimes he needs to hold back a little. The second part of the film was at best mediocre. It was forgettable and it was easy to get distracted and I did wander away a few times to do mundane things then have to skip back a scene. Overall it was OK, but nothing more. This makes me more excited for his upcoming film but for the wrong reasons again. It's simply because his own stories are better than his remakes.

I think to be fair it was a 5/10

UltraViolence wrote:

13: Game of Death. 2006. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0883995/

A down and out business man is struggling with money when he gets a phone call telling him he could win 100million Baht if he just completes 13 "simple" tasks which get more and more sinister as the death tole increases. 

This is my first ever venture into Thai horror, though this was more a thriller. It was fairly unpredictable with an easy to follow storyline and some great moments. A mass decapitation was my highlight. Some of the acting was a little less than great but the main character was played well. I liked him anyway. It's not a new idea, it's been done many a time before and will probably be done a million times more. Thanks to films like Saw and Hostel the torture games genre will remain popular. This was a good example but something did fall a little flat. Occasionally it didn't flow. I predict a second watch will make some things seem more clear as there were some psychological elements that led to the climax.

My rating. 6/10

I actually won that disk in a contest here several years ago. I would rate it about the same.

It was a fun film. Maybe if it didn't have the flashbacks and the really serious aspects it would have been really fun or it should have been more serious and been a serious film. It seemed conflicted in what it is that it's trying to do. The ending just seemed pointless.

WAZ

This film isn't purely horror but a mix of thriller, crime and torture as the horror element. The basic story is of a detective and his new partner investigating the deaths of gang members and their relatives in cruel and sadistic manners. They soon realise it has something to do with a bodged investigation into the rape and torture of a young women who was forced to shoot her own mother by the sickening gang members.
This film isn't a great one, but it is engaging. Melissa George is quite a good actress who I've never really taken much notice of. Tom Ha rdy plays the disgusting gang leader and he is who initially drew me to this film as I am a tiny bit in love with him. The feel of the movie is close and dirty. The seedy street culture of guns and gangs is unnerving an. There are some really upsetting scenes, the first victim is the heavily pregnant girlfriend of one of the gang members and later on a young child about the same age as my own is killed which was upsetting for me personally. The torture and rape scenes are graphic but not too graphic but they still made me wince. This is ultimately a sad story of revenge and the violence does push the story along. There's nothing light hearted in this movie, the entire film is close, heavy and depressing. There is a flaw with the twist at the end but it wasn't anything I couldn't accept.

7/10 I think is fair.

Evil dead 2: dead by dawn

One word. Genius! I love this film. I've watched it twice this week, first watch!. It has the perfect balance of story, gore and comedy. It's camp as Christmas. The dancing corpse and the laughing ferniture has to be the highlights! There's not a lot I can say about it because it is brilliant and that's enough for me. If you've not seen it, watch it! If you have, watch it again!

10/10

Tattoo.

I was drawn to this German film because it claimed to be on par with Seven. When bodies turn up with chunks of skin removed a rookie and a veteran cop seek to find out the sinister truths behind a secret society of people who trade in rare tattoos.

Not a brillaint film, but it's an interesting one. It has the dark and hopeless feel that films like seven have but it lacked something within the story. It didn't keep me engaged enough sadly. The acting is good and the cinematography scores high. I just didn't enjoy it much.

5/10

Captivity.

This is psychological mainly. The power of suggestion over actual torture made this one of the more inventive "torture" movies I've seen lately. BUT, it was a bit predictable. I got that "I fucking knew it was him" reaction which is a pet peev  of mine. I did enjoy it but I found the female protagonist a bit empty as a character, I wasn't exactly spuring  her to win because she came accross plain old one dimentional sometimes. And while a wierdo has you held captive and has made you shoot your own dog why the hell would you stop fighting for survival to bang the guy next door? Fair enough in slashers, the point is stupid teens but this was just sex for sex sake...

4/10

Nightwatch 1994.

I watched the remake by the same director a few months back and really enjoyed it so decided to put the original on my list. This is  a rare case of the remake is better than the original. I dunno what it was it just wasn't as exciting. maybe it's cause I knew what was going to happen as it's pretty much scene for scene the same.

7/10

Hostel Part 3

A hostel movie with a storyline you say? REALLY?! Yeah I said that. But it's true! There was less concentration on sex with hookers and bloody violent deaths. And it wasn't a bad story, nothing new and I got a case of "I knew it" and "I know why he's doing it" but meh, if you wanna lie back and enjoy you some Elite Hunting Club goodness go for it. A sequel (infact a 3rd in a series!) that surpasses the original by miles. Now don't get me wrong, it isn't going to be the best film of the year but it's fun. My and the other half laughed and cringed a few times.

7/10

The Stepfather. 2009

This wasn't on the list from the beginning but it was recomended to me by Lovefilm so I give it a watch. The original is there too so might give it a go later too. It's an ok film. Predictable but suspenseful. David, the step dad is pretty creepy. He reminded me of Ted the Robot step dad from Buffy all those years ago. Except David was real and a serial family murderer. I enjoyed this film, I just wish it wasn't so darn predictable! Seems to be a problem lately.

8/10

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-06-28 04:22:49)

Fallen behind a little due to some movie nights with HM people and some comitments to other things and Lovefilm has removed some of the movies on my watch list so there might be some I watch that are not on the list and some on the list I might not get to watch at all. So...

Sleepaway Camp.

Biggest WTF ending in film history! Maybe not.. but it sure is close! I love goofy slashers from the 80s more than serious slashers so this one was right up my alley. It's fun, clever and camp as anything. The deaths themselves are a good laugh. Angela is a really sympathetic loser of a character. Every jibe and remark said about or to her just makes you feel for her more but it's undeniable she is a bit odd. I think this one is worth a watch at least once, even if you don't like the camp horror sub genre. It's not a work of cinema art and unless you watch this film with the open mind and a willingness to let yourself have a laugh you won't enjoy it. Put down the serious genre pieces and pick up a copy of this hillarious (even if it is unintentional sometimes) laugh a minute and enjoy!

7/10

Maniac (1980)

Talking about serious, Maniac is not so much camp and fun but uncomfortable, sleazy and voyeuristic. Frank Zito is a real wierdo but while watching this with some of the HM people, a few of us agreed we really felt for Frank. He was a product of his environment. A boy stuck in a mans body with mummy issues and some sort of personality disorder. The scalping are interesting and gross. A scene where he's throttling a prostitute shows some POV shots from the victims angle and this is probably the most uncomfortable scene because of the camera work. Again not work of pure genius but I found it had some artistic perspective. Frank is creepy and you couldn't have found a better actor to play the part. I am looking forward to Elijah Wood's portrayal of Frank in the upcoming remake.

7/10

Scream 1996

Scream is a favourite of mine and last night Mr UV and I didn't fancy anything so we put on the trust Scream series. I will never tire of it. Wes Craven came home with this movie. Rarely before were horror movies full of charecters where they were aware of horror movie cliches. Scream is one of those movies that shouldn't be picked apart and analysed because it takes away the fun. One thing that strikes you when watching this, even at the time people were shocked that a well established and popular actress is killed first! Randy is without a doubt my favourite comedy horror character ever!

Still a faithful 10/10

UltraViolence wrote:

Scream 1996

Scream is a favourite of mine and last night Mr UV and I didn't fancy anything so we put on the trust Scream series. I will never tire of it. Wes Craven came home with this movie. Rarely before were horror movies full of charecters where they were aware of horror movie cliches. Scream is one of those movies that shouldn't be picked apart and analysed because it takes away the fun. One thing that strikes you when watching this, even at the time people were shocked that a well established and popular actress is killed first! Randy is without a doubt my favourite comedy horror character ever!

Still a faithful 10/10

I honestly think the opening scene in Scream is one of the greatest opening scenes for a movie, ever. I also like how it can work as its own short. You get a whole little story right there.

Cheesequake wrote:
UltraViolence wrote:

Scream 1996

Still a faithful 10/10

I honestly think the opening scene in Scream is one of the greatest opening scenes for a movie, ever. I also like how it can work as its own short. You get a whole little story right there.

Now I think about it, yeah it could have worked as a short! Never thought of it like that way before.

Attack the Block!

I like this film. It's clever, funny and pretty gory in parts too. During guy faukes night celebrations aliens come to earth and land on a south london council estate. This is an interesting one because it flips your perceptions of gangs in the UK. No doubt south london is a scary place but by following the gang of deviants you see that they are just kids trying to get by and crime is the only thing they know. The aliens in this are so unique. I don't think I personally have ever seen fury aliens with green glowing teeth before, think bears that have been chewing glow sticks. This story isn't a deep and meaningful one but it's light hearted, funny, gory and great fun! It's a film to sit back and enjoy. Only downside is, the south london "gangster" accent and lingo can get annoying but if you can get past that then it's definately worth watching.

8/10

Triangle.

Melissa George plays a single mother who gets a break from her autistic son by going with some friends for a sailing trip. A storm causes them to end up stranded where the board a creepy cruise liner. Things start to get creepy and Jess gets the feeling that she's been here before.

This is one confusing film! I started watching it wanting something easy to watch. I don't really read much about films before watching them anymore so I kinda thought this was gonna be a slasher. WRONG! It reminded me somewhat of Memento. That same none linear time, repeating of events etc. Sometimes I found myself thinking "What the heck?! Didn't I just see this bit?" then I realised what was going on. The film is pretty hopeless, not a hint that anything will resolve itself and I felt pretty depressed watching it.

Overall, I didn't like it. It was just so downbeat, some tension but after a while you lose all hope yourself and I found myself only carrying on watching it because I had nothing better to do. Not for me.

4/10

Shutter.

In my horror journey the one kinda of film I crave is a ghost story that will make me leap from my seat in fright, bite my nails with dread and leave me terrified to go to the loo in the dark on my own for fear that the ghosty is there. Safe to say, I've rarely felt this way about a horror but Shutter achieved this. I haven't jumped and shrieked "holy shit" before! The movie is pretty relentless in these scares and few give me a nice reaction and it didn't feel cheap. The tension is heavy but doesn't last too long at any given time so there was no huge build up and one big climax at the end like usual ghost films. The acting is really good and is never ham fisted and over the top. Even the minor characters are well acted. There is sadly, one part of the story that seemed thrown in and occasionally it felt like scenes were missing. Wether this was an editing issue or plot holes I'm not sure but this isn't a major problem.

Overall, I liked this film.

9/10

Last edited by UltraViolence (2012-07-09 04:22:20)

I am really enjoying your challenge and reading all of your reviews. I am so glad to see someone who echos my sentiments about Yellowbrick Road. I've also added a few new ones to my watch list, so thanks for that. 

Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

Thank you smile Nice to see someone enjoying them, I'm not a professional writer as you can probably tell, I just like watching movies and sharing my thoughts on them.

Yellow Brick road could have been an amazing film. All the framework was there hmm Shame really because it was one that I had read so many good things about it.