Topic: Why I Am A Horror Fan

Hey Guys, whassup?  The Creature has politely asked me to make a Youtube video on why I am a horror fan.  The depths and layers to my love of horror movies cannot simply be put in one video, I made 2 and could easily make 10.  So sound off in the comments below on why you are a horror fan and here are the links to my Youtube videos:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-heSnjyR1o

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=immookb-JKs

Enjoy!

Re: Why I Am A Horror Fan

Both are awesome videos, Garden. Well spoken and presented, you offer a lot of insights and ideas that many people may be afraid to touch. Indeed, you are a horror warrior, if there is such a thing. lol

I will also be doing a video response (if you accept them) as to why I love horror films, and I think I may just talk about horror movies in general. I'll post a link in a little while.

Yeah, defiantly do a response, man.  The more the merrier

Alrighty - my video on why I love horror movies and always will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT96VvZf … e=youtu.be

Also, anyone else wanting to do vids in response to this are welcome. big_smile

Watching it now, Tylor, thank you!

Creature and I are going to start a "Why I Love...." series now that the broad and vague one is out of the way.  Anyone who wants to join in is welcome just add it to this thread.

Nice job guys.

Gracias homie, do one!

Awesome guys...I too consider myself a diverse horror fan, honestly i didn't find my love for horror until 2003the after seeing the TCM remake in theaters, I loved it, I was on the edge of my seat through most of it and I honest found it thrilling. I recall thinking in my head 'oh shit, did that just happen' and 'damn, they're screwed now' ya know I just became so involved all inside my head. From there it was Saw and The Hills Have Eyes (2006) and I started to think i need to check out the originals too and over the years I kinda realized a lot of movies I grew up watching and loved so much had horror elements like Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Gremlins, Jaws, The Predator (was a huge Arnie fan) and even Aliens which I had always loved because of the awesome action since my first love as far as movies was the action genre. But it wasn't long after the TCM remake that I too
became fascinated with the 'making of' these films and how they pulled of some of the amazing and graphic effects we see. Its really a big part of why I love horror movies as well, because of the work that goes into the great conventional makeup and prosthetic effects which is awesome. But also as Garden mentioned its cool how horror evolved so much more than most other genres of films to reflect what's going on in our society at any particulars period.

Although, I do love horror movies, I have found more than a few that were far from entertaining in my eyes. If you think about it A LOT of horror movies are being made and many I don't think have the tender loving care that some obviously do. I love indie movies and I am generally pretty forgiving to filmmakers who are working with little or no budget and are trying to break into a tough business. I have posted here for nearly 6 years and I have always made it clear that I am not totally against remakes, however there has been a flood of them in the past ten years and I would much rather see something original, thankfully the independent movies often give us that. I have to say the horror genre has its share of duds but I will always try to give every film a fair shake and not dismiss it without giving it a shot. As you said Garden, there is a lot of love and passion for the genre that goes into the making of MOST of these movies but I truly don't think that is always the case, greed takes forefront often and I think sequels and remakes far to often become cash cows more than anything...it happens, but as fans we can choose to watch them or not.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-06-03 02:16:35)

No you're right, it's certainly not ALWAYS the case.  I meant it more of a back then it was all passion and with some of the remakes.  I'm not going to sit here and point fingers at ones that lacked passion because I don't know how everyone feels but you're right.  In the mid 2000's up until 2011ish, there was a surge of horror films.  In that surge there were some weak ones and I'm not going to say I love them all, lol.  The 5 films I mentioned were ones that I absolutely 100% can't stand.  I find redeeming qualities in some of them.  Like I really strongly disliked the Pulse remake and other sequels, the White Noise sequel, but only a few stand out as those movies are forgettable. 

The studios are looking to capitalize on the cash flow of certain genres.  For instance, Platinum Dunes.  However, people jump at the opportunity to direct, work on and star in those movies.  Then you have things that just don't die like the Saw movies.  They should have stopped after 3.  Now there are 7 movies.  Enjoyable yes, but good...no, far from.  Paranormal Activity is turning into the next one.  I've enjoyed all 3 but you can only do the same thing for so long.  So as horror fans, it's our job to discuss and remember the good old days.  But we still have a level of respect for everyone that's a part of this world. 

If our least favorite movie, let's say for argument Prom Night remake, most people hated that movie.  But if a serial killer happened and he cited that movie as giving him inspiration, we'd all jump on that and defend the movie.  That's horror right there.  No other genre has as dedicated and die hard fans as horror.  It's truly magical. 

Chainsaw, you should make some Youtube videos.  Creature and I are doing one more tomorrow on a genre to be decided when the time comes.  I'd love your input

well done guys! after my last disastrous attempt on youtube video when i did my terrible movie book reviews i won't  be attempting anything like that again. might do some fun things again on there though. when my new face and body transplant comes through.

Great job guys on the videos.  I really enjoyed them smile

I think I would have to go into psychoanalysis to figure out why I love Horror Movies, I just always have smile  Especially the classics!

Why i love Horror. Simple. It reminds how dangerous and dark this world can be, something that everybody needs to face.

Thought I would post this, this is The Young Turks on 'Why People Love Horror Movies'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOylBkue … re=g-all-c

They're pretty much saying that people who live boring lives are most commonly horror fans. I think that's nonsense. I posted a comment on it expressing that - as did Garden and TwistedSista too, apparently. haha

They also said that seeing horror movies is "subjecting yourself to pain".
For me, watching them rant on about a movie genre they have no clue about is subjecting myself to pain.

Aye, aye, aye. lol

Last edited by The Creature (2012-06-03 11:27:24)

Well, Tylor, that's why we make these videos, to show that we don't live abusive sheltered lives and that horror fans are your every day average person (with a few exceptions).  I can't wait to do the next entry in a few hours

Alright ladies and germs, the latest edition and today's topic: Slasher Films:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHElu8LYf-Q

^ aaand, to go along with that, the companion video,

Why I Love: SLASHER MOVIES!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJrw5GGt … e=youtu.be

I hope I did the genre justice, here.

Great job, Tylor, everyone else, feel free to do a Slasher Movie video or just talk about it with us

Gardenofstone10 wrote:

Great job, Tylor, everyone else, feel free to do a Slasher Movie video or just talk about it with us

Thanks, Garden.

Indeed, join in on the festival peeps. Why do you love slasher movies?

I'd like to get Suspiria's input on this too.

I have another video coming up, it's uploading now, about more slasher films and stuff like setting, atmosphere and evolution

DirtyGirl wrote:

Great job guys on the videos.  I really enjoyed them smile

I think I would have to go into psychoanalysis to figure out why I love Horror Movies, I just always have smile  Especially the classics!

Same here.
I need to go into transhypnotherapy just for the sake of finding out the real 'why'.
I don't have that kind of money to spend any time soon, but it would be interesting to find out.

Alright, here it is, Why I love Horror Movies: Slashers part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YObF5WoDVDI

Exploitation films are next up

Why I Love Horror Movies: Exploitation Films (I know I miss a lot but I focus more on the evolution into modern cinema)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfXEMtEDP_o

Sweet video, Matt.

Not the most experienced with the genre, but I've given it a shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSq2Fbz … e=youtu.be

Exploitation Films.