Topic: The Films of Clive Barker

I just had a thought. Though the majority films based upon Stephen King are consistently praised by mainstream critics I think that the films based on Clive Barker are more consistently great and this is perhaps to a degree unregognized by film critics(perhaps less so however with horror fans)..... for example.

Hellraiser - A Classic of the Genre
Candyman - Excelent 8/10
Dread - Original and one of the best movie sive seen in a LONG while 10/10
Midnight Meat Train - Again excellent and a underrated film.
Nightbreed - Cult favourite

I do realise that  the majority of Stephen KIng books are great but I have not been overwhelmingly impressed with some of their film adaptions e.g The Shining and find the books far superior.

Re: The Films of Clive Barker

Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining is HORRIBLE.  I am in agree mode with you, given by my avatar haha.  Huge Clive Barker fan and his works I feel are either forgotten or under appreciated.

I think his films are quite misunderstood. I watched midnight meat train and didn't get it until I watched a second time and I got the ending a bit more. I've not seen hell raiser but I read the hellbound heart which is a terrifying but amazing book. Candy man is great and tony Todd is scary as hell! Dread is on my watchlist for my summer challenge might watch that one tonight.

I love Misery and the shining though.

He is set to write and direct a new film...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/06/cli … ladiators/

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/ … ladiatorsq

Candyman is fucking great.  Love the score/atmosphere of that one.

I also enjoyed Hellraiser, but it is not one of my favorite horror films.  Watched Nightbreed not too long ago on a night I was starving for a random horror movie and I got it.  I enjoyed it but didn't think it was a great horror movie by any means.

Brian De Palma's Carrie is quite possibly the best Horror Film of all time.  It is also said to be Stephen Kings favorite movie adaptation.

The Shining as a movie by itself is brilliant, starring Jack Nicholson in his fucking prime.  Stephen King is known for hating this movie, but everybody else is known for loving it.  Great movie.

The Dead Zone directed by David Cronenberg and starring Christopher Walken is another straight up great movie.

Silver Bullet, Pet Semetary, Children of the Corn, Christine(Carpenter), Creepshow, Cujo, Misery, Firestarter, 1408, the Dark Half(Romero) are all VERY good Horror films.

Tv Mini Series like Salem's Lot and It.

Then you've got the adaptations from King that aren't very good, but still enjoyable.

Skinwalkers, Needful Things, Cat's Eye, Langoliers, The Stand( a lot of people love)

I really have to see Dread though seeing as you loved it so much.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-05 12:58:27)

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

Candyman is fucking great.  Love the score/atmosphere of that one.

I also enjoyed Hellraiser, but it is not one of my favorite horror films.  Watched Nightbreed not too long ago on a night I was starving for a random horror movie and I got it.  I enjoyed it but didn't think it was a great horror movie by any means.

Brian De Palma's Carrie is quite possibly the best Horror Film of all time.  It is also said to be Stephen Kings favorite movie adaptation.

The Shining as a movie by itself is brilliant, starring Jack Nicholson in his fucking prime.  Stephen King is known for hating this movie, but everybody else is known for loving it.  Great movie.

The Dead Zone directed by David Cronenberg and starring Christopher Walken is another straight up great movie.

Pet Semetary, Children of the Corn, Christine(Carpenter), Creepshow, Cujo, Misery, Firestarter, 1408, the Dark Half(Romero) are all VERY good Horror films.

Tv Mini Series like Salem's Lot and It.

Then you've got the adaptations from King that aren't very good, but still enjoyable.

Skinwalkers, Needful Things, Cat's Eye, Langoliers, The Stand( a lot of people love)

I really have to see Dread though seeing as you loved it so much.

Absolutely agree with you...there are so many great Stephen King adaptations.  The list is very long! 

BTW  Prince of Darkness-  everytime I see your name I think of Christopher Lee.  Are you going to upload an avatar to go with that name?  big_smile

hahaha unfortunately Prince of Darkness is more of a reference to Carpenter's 87 film.  I'm sure you have seen it.  I just love that shit.

But yea I will upload an avatar pretty soon here.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-05 13:05:50)

I'm one of the few that like "Lord of Illusions."

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

hahaha unfortunately Prince of Darkness is more of a reference to Carpenter's 87 film.  I'm sure you have seen it.  I just love that shit.

But yea I will upload an avatar pretty soon here.

Yes I've seen it.  lol   I can still see Alice Cooper in it big_smile

i like all of Clive barker's films of his stories to a degree. i like Hellraiser ( though not the sequels), Candyman, Nightbreed, Midnight Meat Train is pretty good until it near enough falls apart at the end, dread is fine, and Az i don't think " Lord Of Illusions " is a good film but i certainly don't dislike it. talk about under rated horror films and i think " Prince Of Darkness" is one of those, under rated Carpenter film. and prince of darkness i agree with most of your comments but i'm another one that doesn't rate " The Shining" i wouldn't say it's horrible but it's very over rated and Jack Nicholson is way over the top.

I have seen very few Clive Barker movies or the adaptions, but I just finished up "Rawhead Rex", what a fun movie. Loved it.

And of course, Hellraiser is nothing short of amazing.

I've seen bits of Nightbreed, but it's been years. There's a lot of Barker I still need to check out, honestly.

I've seen bits of Nightbreed, but it's been years. There's a lot of Barker I still need to check out, honestly.

I have no idea why I enjoy Nightbreed so much. It's silly as hell, but the concept and the demented psychologist make it worth the the full ride. Great quote from Dr. Philip K. Decker in Nightbreed: I'm death... plain and simple.

I think Nightbreed was so good because almost all of the characters were fleshed out so well.

I love Prince of Darkness because the premise is so different.  That, and I love saying "Liquid Satan" to people.

@Creature- You may want to check out the written story for Rawhead, I've head it really goes into much more detail, though I haven't read it yet.

Vasquez wrote:

I just had a thought. Though the majority films based upon Stephen King are consistently praised by mainstream critics I think that the films based on Clive Barker are more consistently great and this is perhaps to a degree unregognized by film critics(perhaps less so however with horror fans)..... for example.

Hellraiser - A Classic of the Genre
Candyman - Excelent 8/10
Dread - Original and one of the best movie sive seen in a LONG while 10/10
Midnight Meat Train - Again excellent and a underrated film.
Nightbreed - Cult favourite

I do realise that  the majority of Stephen KIng books are great but I have not been overwhelmingly impressed with some of their film adaptions e.g The Shining and find the books far superior.

Didn't you contradict yourself a bit here? I don't think you will find to many horror fans that disagree that Hellraiser is a classic horror film, that Candyman is a very solid and very memorable movie and no one can deny that Nightbreed is a cult favorite among many horror fans.

I don't mean to sound like I jerk, I just disagree. I think its almost unfair to compare the two, King has been much more prolific than Barker and has many more adaption's out there.

As far as comparing film adaption's to the written text, while I think its fine to compare and look at differences between the two, you have to do so with an open mind. I for one liked Kings novel The Shining but I also the movie is brilliant, one of my favorites. I also liked the made for tv mini-series, it follows the book more closely but I don't think that makes a better movie by no means, making a good book and making a good movie are two totally different things....I read this and will paste it for you...

comparing movies to the books they are based on: It’s an apples and oranges thing. Movies and books are separate art forms with entirely differing technical and artistic tools for building and conveying a narrative.

One is built out of words, the other out of pictures. That’s why the best adaptations are those made by directors with the confidence to deconstruct the literary source material and put it back together in a way that works on the screen. It’s why directors who are too respectful of the source material tend to make dull movies.

comparing movies to the books they are based on: It’s an apples and oranges thing. Movies and books are separate art forms with entirely differing technical and artistic tools for building and conveying a narrative.

One is built out of words, the other out of pictures. That’s why the best adaptations are those made by directors with the confidence to deconstruct the literary source material and put it back together in a way that works on the screen. It’s why directors who are too respectful of the source material tend to make dull movies.

Well said Chainsaw....I think they are two completely different mediums.  The Director should be able to take some creative license with the story to make it come alive. 

I have read The Shining, I have watched the mini-series, and I have watched Kubrick's version of the Shining many times.  I still love Kubrick's version over the mini series because it is so artistic, well shot, and well acted.  There is a good reason why it shows up on almost every top ten list of Horror movies.

What about Lord of Illusions? I always felt that the film started out with a great premise but it was kind of a dud overall.  I just remember some guy who looked like he had a butt hole on his forehead. More funny than scary the whole butt hole on the forehead thing. Am I the only one who remembered this from the film?

I do love Clive Barker's work..
Nightbreed was good but was nothing compared to Cabal on which it was based.

I really liked Hellraiser and  book The Hellbound Heart

has anyone ever seen his early works from his college days ? two short films called
Salome and The Forbidden?

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107586909/clive-barkers-salome-forbidden-barker-vhs-cover-art.jpg
http://www.clivebarker.com/images/movie/salome/saltitle.jpg
http://www.clivebarker.info/nailboard3.jpg
  A young  Doug Bradley has a role in them/ Black and white silent films mainly focusing on the images of hell and bondage. You get quite a feel for his beginning thoughts forming hellraiser
and the horror host who intorduces the films is a very erotic lady who has a " Lair Of the White Worm/Demon Fetish Girls/Bondage " vibe going on lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zswvgN3NvdY/TOX84BCFqDI/AAAAAAAADOE/0gOKiD9kA9s/s1600/IMG_4381.JPG

Last edited by MistressOf Horror (2012-06-05 23:19:32)

^^
No, MoH, I didn't know about the early stuff.  Thanks for the heads up!  big_smile

^^ just warning you- it doesnt really have a storyline. mostly random surreal images

^^
I've watched "The Begotten," so I think I should be OK, lol .

azathoth wrote:

^^
I've watched "The Begotten," so I think I should be OK, lol .

The trailer was enough to make me go "WTF?!??" Never attempted the movie itself!

I just don't believe that...
I have all his shit that has been turned into celluloid and only the one Hellraiser is worth itself in gold.

MistressOf Horror wrote:

I do love Clive Barker's work..
Nightbreed was good but was nothing compared to Cabal on which it was based.

I really liked Hellraiser and  book The Hellbound Heart

has anyone ever seen his early works from his college days ? two short films called
Salome and The Forbidden?

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm107586909/clive-barkers-salome-forbidden-barker-vhs-cover-art.jpg
http://www.clivebarker.com/images/movie/salome/saltitle.jpg
http://www.clivebarker.info/nailboard3.jpg
  A young  Doug Bradley has a role in them/ Black and white silent films mainly focusing on the images of hell and bondage. You get quite a feel for his beginning thoughts forming hellraiser
and the horror host who intorduces the films is a very erotic lady who has a " Lair Of the White Worm/Demon Fetish Girls/Bondage " vibe going on lol

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zswvgN3NvdY/TOX84BCFqDI/AAAAAAAADOE/0gOKiD9kA9s/s1600/IMG_4381.JPG

absolutely I've seen those two shorts nad liked Salome more than The Forbidden cause it just wasn't my thing watching Doug Bradley dancing around naked

Lord of Illusions IS on Netflix right now, for those who have it.

I love Barker movies and stories, but in the late he's been letting me down.... I think imo he lost it somewhere maybe his lover took it I don't fuckin know but I have no faith in him for today, at least he fucking! made my fav horror flick ever Hellraiser but I think hes done like buried in the ground today! Still waiting for The Scarlet Gospels... hes done man, its sad but his life ends mine continues!