Topic: Tales From the Crypt

Any big Crypt fans around here?

I would guess a great amount of people here know the show fairly well so I'd like to know what people's favorite episodes are.  List up to 5 if need be.  There are about 30 episodes that just fucking Rule in my opinion, some more than others.  One thing I love about Tales From the Crypt is they just feel like short movies.  Since it was made by HBO it is very graphic with nudity in every scene, and all of Hollwoods best.

Just like many, I remember seeing a few episodes around a decade ago.  Getting back into it the last few years you actually realize that the show was created by Zemeckis, Donner, Walter Hill.  Dozens and dozens of the 80s best movie writers and directors take their hand in doing an episode or 2, or 3.  Howard Deutch(John Hughes movies like Great Outdoors, Pretty In Pink, Some Kind of Wonderful), Tom Holland, Edward De Souza, Tobe Hooper, Bob Gale(co-wrote Back to the Future)  The list goes on and on.  Any Horror fan should consider sitting down just about every single episode.

Re: Tales From the Crypt

Yet another Horror flick i feel i need to see. Ill get round to it eventually, i have to watch those entertaining 1930's horror flicks first.

Tales From The Crypt is an awesome TV show, although personally I've only seen the first two seasons. Top five based on what I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed though:

1) For Cryin' Out Loud! (season 2 - w/ Sam Kinison as that hilarious 'conscience')
2) Fitting Punishment (season 2)
3) Collection Complete (season 1 - directed by Mary Lambert of Pet Semetary fame)
4) The Ventriloquist's Dumy (season 2 - dir. Richard Donner)
5) Four-Sided Triangle (season 2 - dir. Tom Holland)

Honorable mention - And All Through The House directed by Robert Zemeckis, season one. But there's lots of great episodes in the series.

Oh, and I am also a fan of the 1972 film, Tales From The Crypt. That one is a favorite of mine. big_smile

'Blind Alleys' is my favorite segment.

Both the series and the Amicus movie were good smile  Loved Peter Cushing as a Zombie!

Vasquez wrote:

Yet another Horror flick i feel i need to see. Ill get round to it eventually, i have to watch those entertaining 1930's horror flicks first.

I don't know how old you are Vasquez, but and i'm sorry if i'm spouting the obvious here try and think when you watch one of the time period it was made, and this was all they had to go on. yes, some bits seem laughable and very outdated now but it's the story and the entertainment factor that counts. i had my eyes opened the other day as to how some of you young un's must see some of these older films. i am going through a spate of classic horror movies at the moment i saw " An Amercian Werewolf In London" which i thought still held up and comes off well, but i re watched "The Howling" and it seems very outdated now, i loved it when it first came out and i still do but it did make me feel disapointed in a way. anyway if you watch any of the oldies enjoy and let us know what you think. as long as there are young fans of the horror genre from all decades like creature then i shall be content.

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-06-16 04:42:01)

DirtyGirl wrote:

Loved Peter Cushing as a Zombie!

one of Peter Cushing's best performances in a horror film i think.

wolfman1959 wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

I don't know how old you are Vasquez, but and i'm sorry if i'm spouting the obvious here try and think when you watch one of the time period it was made, and this was all they had to go on. yes, some bits seem laughable and very outdated now but it's the story and the entertainment factor that counts. i had my eyes opened the other day as to how some of you young un's must see some of these older films. i am going through a spate of classic horror movies at the moment i saw " An Amercian Werewolf In London" which i thought still held up and comes off well, but i re watched "The Howling" and it seems very outdated now, i loved it when it first came out and i still do but it did make me feel disapointed in a way. anyway if you watch any of the oldies enjoy and let us know what you think. as long as there are young fans of the horror genre from all decades like creature then i shall be content.

I wasn't being sarcastic, sry if u got that impression. I love the older horror films, Frankenstein, Bride of and The Wolfman are some of my favourites. I also watched The Cat People (41) the other night and THEM! yesterday and loved it.  Im gonna watch The Thing From Another World and the original House Of Wax aswell next. In fact i enjoy these and think they are at times as i have stated in another post more innovative and original (perhaps as genre defining films) as the horror thats coming out of English language countries – Britain and USA, today. I also think a relative amount of the effects, especially Frankenstein still hold up very well today and are a testament to the skill of the effects and make up artists who worked during these periods. I on most instances prefer practical FX compared to CGI.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-16 05:53:07)

Vasquez wrote:

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-06-16 05:46:27)

Huh, 'Crypt' is actually a big hole in my viewing.

As for older vs. newer, you just need to take each time period and break it down to what was available then.  FX obviously has gotten better, gore & violence restrictions have bee relaxed.  You can still compare script, acting, and score though.

Vasquez wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic, sry if u got that impression. I love the older horror films, Frankenstein, Bride of and The Wolfman are some of my favourites. I also watched The Cat People (41) the other night and THEM! yesterday and loved it.  Im gonna watch The Thing From Another World and the original House Of Wax aswell next. In fact i enjoy these and think they are at times as i have stated in another post more innovative and original( perhaps as genre defining films) as the horror thats coming out of English language countries – Britain and USA, today. I also think a relative amount of the effects, especially Frankenstein still hold up very well today and are a testament to the skill of the effects and make up artists who worked during these periods. I on most instances prefer practical FX compared to CGI.

i know you weren't being sarcastic my friend ! (in fact it never crossed my mind). if you are already a fan of the older stuff that's great! i know there was crap made then but there is crap in all genres and through every decade. i accept, very few of these films are scary now but it was a different age and culture, but a lot of them are still enjoyable and we won't unfortunatly see the like of Boris Karloff and all the other well known " Horror Titans" again. i os course love " The Wolfman" films, Cat People is good ( so is the 1982 remake) and THEM ( 1954) Is proberly my favourite of the 50's sci fic " Creature" films. excellent film! you've made my day. thanks!

I'm finding I'm enjoying the older compared to the newer now too. New horror is great but it just doesn't have the brains. A lot of new stuff is appealing to the gore obsessed but forget those who want an intelligent watch. Horror from outside the USA and uk is filling this need nicely though. Sadly hollywood jump on the popularity of foreign horrors so quickly to a casual horror fan they are over shaddowing the originals and the foreign horrors.

I like the Tales from the crypt but havent seen them in a long time. I used to watch them as a child and they were very much dated then but if you ignore the outdated clothes and the effects the stories were usually good enough to make the visual issues less of an issue.

I'm also a big fan of anything Tales From the Crypt, there are to many good ones to name but a few of my faves are:

And All Through the House
The Thing from the Grave
Carrion Death
Abra Cadaver

I really love the entire first season, but then I felt it sorta became un-watchable or hard to watch after that. That's just my opinion though.
I don't know the name but I really like the taxidermy episode.

TFTC was sooo much fun to watch. Our library carries the DVD's and I have re-watched them several times now. Introduced them to a few of my kids and they have really liked them too.

Last edited by Underdog (2012-06-18 14:54:10)

Yup

It is just straight up a fun show.  Some episodes are pretty scary, some are just ironically scary.  In my opinion the best seasons are pretty easily 2, 3, 4, and 5.

ispydork wrote:

I don't know the name but I really like the taxidermy episode.

I wanna say that one is "Collection Complete", but I can't say for sure. I think there were a few episodes dealing with taxidermy.

I am a Tales From The Crypt FAN yes. I used to watch it all the time.  At the moment I can't recall certain episodes. It's been ages since I watched the series.

"Dark Mistress aka Dracula's Wife"  big_smile