Topic: House of Wax (1953) - Based on Mystery Of The Wax Museum (1933)

I only realised that that the 1953 film with VP is actually based on the above 1933 film after watching and doing some research on it. Just pointing it out if any of u guys didn't know. I just watched the VP version and LOVED IT. Vincent Price was amazing, most notably using his facial expressions amazingly well to convey the characters emotion and which also gave me a chuckle once or twice. The overall design, cineamotography and make up effects were all fantastic aswell and really created a amazingly creepy atmosphere especially in the Proffesors cellar.

Has anyone seen both of them (53 and 33). Also wondering if anyone prefers the 2005 version to the 1953 version (I wont Hate u for it, we have different tastes and opinions but i will feel like shouting WTF at the top of my Lungs so much that u may be able to hear me across the atlantic ocean)

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-16 14:43:16)

Re: House of Wax (1953) - Based on Mystery Of The Wax Museum (1933)

Haven't seen either of them. I'll try and track a copy down.

i've seen both films and despite " Mystery Of the Wax Museum" being a bit dated now and having too many " comedy relief" moments it is still an enjoyable film. The moment when Faye Wray breaks Lionel Atwill's face mask and you see his hideous burned face is up there with the unveiling of Lon Chaney's " Phantom Of The Opera"  face revealing.
House Of Wax was indeed one of the first 3D film's of the 50's but where the 3D bits were are rather awkward now e.g the ball and paddle scene but again it's a classic and really set Vincent Price on the horror path.did you notice Charles Bronson as his mute assistant?
i like the latest " House Of Wax" it's perfectly watchable although no classic but i wouldn't say it's a remake more like a reboot.

Have not seen the 1933 film.

Have seen the 53 and 05 one. 

The 53 version is great and clearly a masterpiece.  Honestly, I'm not into a lot of films from that age (relax Wolfie - I respect them smile), and this one stands out for me.

That said, yes, I prefer the 05 version.  If I was going to watch just one of them, that would be it.  I agree with Wolfie that it is more of a reboot, and they are so different.  I actually think is was a really good flick, and very entertaining. 

Though, if I had to pick the better film of the two (different than what I prefer), obviously Vincent would win out.

I also like the House of Wax '05, its definitely more of a slasher flick but I guess its a guilty pleasure of mine. Im like GS though, the older films don't do it for me really, but I do have Much respect for them and realize that they were probably quite shocking, creepy and scary for there time. There are some that I did genuinely enjoy though such as Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Dracula. I am really interested in seeing the Original House of Wax though.

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-06-16 19:11:03)

My copy of House of Wax '53 comes with Mystery of the Wax Museum on it but i haven't watched it but didn't know the '53 was based on it. I am a fan of House of Wax '05.
Has anyone seen Dario Argento/Lucio Fulci's  The Wax Mask, watched it years ago & my wife said then that it was really similer to House of Wax but haven't seen it in years.

Last edited by ZOMBIE SLASHER (2012-06-17 05:29:08)

I LOVE the '53 House Of Wax, it's in my top 10 of all time. I think it's a fabulous film, I didn't know it was based on another film though so now I have to track that down and find it.

I was not a fan of the remake/boot in any way. I can't take a film seriously if Paris Hilton is in it, although it was nice to see her get a stake through the head tongue but I just didn't like it. It was a poor slasher, whereas the VP one was creepy, tense and clever. Definitely going to try and find the '33 one now, cheers

Found it on FB for free...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mystery-o … 7035791836

I love the 53 one

I actually have to see BOTH versions, the '53 and the '33 ones.
And I love Vincet Price, so I definitely have to give the 50s one a go.
The 2005 remake wasn't great, but I thought it was enjoyable.

The Creature wrote:

The 2005 remake wasn't great, but I thought it was enjoyable.

Ya know the sad thing for me?  ^ has become all that I hope for in a movie.  If at the end, I can say it was entertaining and enjoyable...I am content with that.  So few movies move me, or give me something more...that to be entertained is what I hope for at this point.

Now don't get me wrong...a few times a year, I am pleasantly surprised by a great move.  Just gotta get threw some bad ones too.  smile

Know exactly what you mean Ghosty. Nowadays, if I can say it entertained me in some way, I'm satisfied. There are so few that I've seen recently that have given me even a little chill, or that I've really loved a part of. The Loved Ones and Insidious are the only ones that come to mind that I thought were great, the rest were average and more were probably poor. I just try and be happy that they've entertained me a bit! And learn to take more recs from here, these folks do seem to know what they're on about tongue

I've seen them both but it was after the Price version I found out about the original. I enjoyed both but HoW is so well known it almost blanks out the original.