Topic: Horror Remakes That Surpass The Original

We all know that remakes/adaptions of Horror films can get a lot of heat of fanboys of the original and especially if they are iconic. While there have been plenty of terrible remakes there have been a lot of excellent ones aswell which this forums member shave highlighted in other discussions. But what are in u views the horror remakes that have surpassed the originals(this includes remakes of a premise/adaptions like 2005's House of Wax which was not a direct remake)

The two I can think of is The Hills Have Eyes and I Spit on your Grave

Re: Horror Remakes That Surpass The Original

The Thing.

That is all.

Okay, to be fair, The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead were both pretty great.

Last house on the left.
I spit on your grave.
Night watch 1998 was better than the 1994 film by the same director.

Remakes that surpassed the original....

The Hills Have Eyes (2006)

I would say The Fly but I actually haven't seen the original

The Thing, if you consider it a remake...I mean I guess it is but there is no comparison really.

The Blob (1988) is way better than its original.

That's all I got for now...

I agree with The hills Have Eyes...
I haven't seen I Spit on your Grave remake but in my imagination I bet its better than the original... unless it has a shitty ending like the original I'll change my traine of thought

I've always had a love for the original The Fly since either that or Frankenstein was the firds horror I ever saw... I think it was The Fly. I know its pretty tame but as a kid of a few yrs old it freaked me out... help meeeeeee

The Hills Have Eyes remake is good but better than Craven's original??

Same thing goes for Last House on the Left.  This movie SCArED THE LIVING BLEEP out of people back when it was released.  The remake is just another bad horror movie. 

I can't think of anything other than The Thing here.  I have a tough time calling any remake better than the original unless it is hands down just better.  You have to consider the original was written as original piece.  The remake takes so much less work, and the finished product is going to be unoriginal and less artistic by definition.

I really like the Night of the Living Dead remake.  As a matter of fact I like it more than the original.  I can't say that it is better though, because Romero's piece is seriously historic.  Same thing goes for both Craven films mentioned.

The Blob is a real good call.  Isn't that directed by Chuck Russel?(the Mask, Nightmare on Elm st 3)

Im sure there are a lot of people that would say the original Blob is one of their favorite movies ever though.  Would you say that the Blob remake is one of your favorite films?  I always have a tough time with this.  Movies that get remade ALWAYS get remade because the original was fucking classic.  It is almost impossible to remake a classic and make it better without completely changing it enough to where it ends up standing on its own.  Remaking movies from the 50s ends up working way more than remaking movies from anything post 70s.  The problem is when a movie holds up well already, why in the hell remake it?

Oh and the Fly has just GOTTA be better than the original.  That movie is fucking awesome there is no way that the original is better than the Goldblum version.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-28 19:31:50)

Last House on the Left remake sucked... this s a definitive reason why remakes should never be done. Man you all know it and the ending must have been the stupidest ending I have ever seen.

This is a definitely a reason to stick with the original

I didn't like the Last House remake either, I didn't feel as gritty as the original.

I think for movies like The Thing, it depends on a persons age honestly. If you was growing up in the 50's or 60's then you probably appreciate the films from then a bit more than someone like myself who grew up in the 80's and 90's. I have much respect for older films but honestly didn't care much for The Thing From Another World. I grew up in the 80's and those are the films I love and appreciate the most I think, also iconic films from the 70's  that I grew up with like Jaws and Alien.

I know not many will agree but also really liked The Wolfman remake much more than the original.

I like the ISOYG remake but still like the original a little more simply because the rape scene just felt so much more disturbing and raw in it, its something filmmakers today just can't quite recreate I think. That's pretty much the same reason I still like the Last House original much better, that and
David Hess' performance, there is a scene after they kill the first girl where he has this disgusted look on his face, as if he realized how sick what just happened was and it looked so real its very disturbing yet interesting.

OK, The Thing. I just bought/watched the "prequel" last weekend and I loved it. If it was a remake I would have hated it. They played it thru with a little loving care for Not the original But Carpenters version of John Campbell story.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and 70s and 80s and still growin haha

The Thing from Another World is pretty bland compared to Carpenter but at least I thought this prequel fit in nicely.

I liked the prequel also DTS...I have watched it like 3 times now and I have spotted a few flaws but nothing major, I still really enjoyed it.

I've only watched it once and not the last so I'll try to find the flaws next time for shits and giggles

Well, The Thing for me is the obvious choice and I think it definitely should get the recognition it deserves. Another choice for me would be The War Of The Worlds 2005 remake. I watched the orginal 50s version and it wasn't my thing, but I was sold with the remake.

Better remakes
Hills Have Eyes
The Fly (the original was crap)
King Kong (Fay Wray was just a ditz who did nothing but scream)

Also... IMO... just as good as or equal in many respects...
original Thing & remake
original Dawn of the Dead and remake
original I Spit On Your Grave and remake
original Texas Chainsaw and remake(s)
original Toolbox Murders and remake
original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and remakes (yes.. even Ferrera's)

Some people just don't like remakes. I won't discredit a remake because it's a remake. I just liked the remakes of I spit and Last house better. Maybe it is the change in times. The remake of TCM did my head in. I really really tried to like it. I prefer the remake of Halloween better than the originals but I just don't like the originals anyway. IMHO, it's all down to changes in times sometimes. The only remakes that really drive me nuts are the remakes of perfectly good foreign films that just don't need an update.

UltraViolence wrote:

The only remakes that really drive me nuts are the remakes of perfectly good foreign films that just don't need an update.

... an update or a remake. The abomination that was the spin on A Tale of Two Sisters was sickening.

I didn't know it was a remake until I seen A Tale of Two Sisters. I don't want to mention the name of the film in question because it's one big spoiler if you've seen it. Let me in pissed me off royally because it was just a scene for scene remake, what's the point? It wasn't even 10 years old so didn't need an update to register with the times.

I've heard that JC's The Thing is more of an adaption of the sci-fi story 'Who Goes There' than it is a remake of The Thing From Another World, but, I still definitely consider it a remake. John Carpenter's The Thing is #1 for me.

Then there is of course David Cronenberg's The Fly, which is an outstanding remake of the classic Vincent Price movie.

The 3 spot would go to the 70s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers with Donald Sutherland. Simply an awesome movie.

Other remakes I think are good, Rob Zombie's Halloween, The Hills Have Eyes, Dawn of the Dead, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

OH, btw, I'm totally NOT saying all these remakes surpass the originals, haha.

Just JC's The Thing and Cronenberg's The Fly.

Last edited by The Creature (2012-06-30 18:23:04)

Nobody has mentioned My Bloddy Valentine.

The original is of course one of the greatest 80s slashers ever made, and uncut it's just a masterpiece and flawless in every way. The remake served the genre well on a gore and nudity level, but failed horribly on the most important (level); the characters.

If one looks at the best horror films ever made, it's always the characters that make it so; not the monster, killer, or gore.

If one looks back at the 80s My Bloody Valentine, every character from the sheriff to the laundromat lady to each miner and their girl, were fun, very authentic, and engaged the viewer. Even the bad guy, Axel was great and fun to watch and listen to. In the remake... every character is either a prick or they're miserable and depressed, and hence not at all enjoyable to watch. This alone was the films downfall.

Better movies (as in the film making)

Last House On The Left
Hills Have Eyes

Both of those had great ideas, but were so poorly done (especially LHOTL), they seem laughable at this point. Poorly acted, poorly directed... just what you'd expect from the time really.

Remakes that lived up to the original, maybe even surpassing them on some level, while keeping the original's spirit alive:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Original is one of my all time favorite flicks, and was pissed when I heard about the remake. Saw it, and loved it.

Dawn Of The Dead - It's own style and feel, while keeping the spirit of the original completely. Updated what needed to be, stayed true to what it should.

The Ring - Original was one of the creepiest flicks ever, and the remake stayed very true. Didn't surpass, but it was great.

Dark Water - Wow, the remake impressed me. It was almost creepier than the original.

My Bloody Valentine was better all around... cept for the whole 3D thing.

[REC] is one of my all time favorite flicks, but Quarantine did impress me. Yea, it was a shot for shot remake, but they did an admirable job with it. Not as scary, and they didn't nail the atmosphere, but it was a solid flick for sure.

I've hopes for the Maniac remake. Since honestly, the track record for remakes is pretty good, I'll fence on it being good.

I'd say the good far outweigh the shit as far as remakes go.

The Thing really? I haven't seen the remake, but the original was just so innovate and amazing. I don't think anything with CGI could surpass it.
By picks are
The Fly
The Ring
The Blob

Bunshinsaba wrote:

The Fly (the original was crap)

hey if you were a kid back ithen there wasn't much to go by except for the Universal Monsters we all know and the other thrillers and shit... It scared the shit outa me at the time... what other movie had a guy had to get his head squished by a press so he could lose his demon?

ispydork wrote:

The Thing really? I haven't seen the remake, but the original was just so innovate and amazing. I don't think anything with CGI could surpass it.

I am pretty sure they are referencing the fact that JC's The Thing is the better film than the original The Thing From Another World

the original is from the 50s....

unless you prob meant carpenters version...

check out the new The Thing. They tried to use the least about of cg and I really never noticed anyt till someone goes ha it was there in that scene.

Zed_Chuva wrote:

Better movies (as in the film making)

Last House On The Left
Hills Have Eyes

Both of those had great ideas, but were so poorly done (especially LHOTL), they seem laughable at this point. Poorly acted, poorly directed... just what you'd expect from the time really.

Remakes that lived up to the original, maybe even surpassing them on some level, while keeping the original's spirit alive:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Original is one of my all time favorite flicks, and was pissed when I heard about the remake. Saw it, and loved it.

Dawn Of The Dead - It's own style and feel, while keeping the spirit of the original completely. Updated what needed to be, stayed true to what it should.

The Ring - Original was one of the creepiest flicks ever, and the remake stayed very true. Didn't surpass, but it was great.

Dark Water - Wow, the remake impressed me. It was almost creepier than the original.

My Bloody Valentine was better all around... cept for the whole 3D thing.

[REC] is one of my all time favorite flicks, but Quarantine did impress me. Yea, it was a shot for shot remake, but they did an admirable job with it. Not as scary, and they didn't nail the atmosphere, but it was a solid flick for sure.

I've hopes for the Maniac remake. Since honestly, the track record for remakes is pretty good, I'll fence on it being good.

I'd say the good far outweigh the shit as far as remakes go.

The original Last House on the Left scared the shit out of thousands and thousands of women.  A lot of them seriously were traumatized.  The new might have scared a few hundred 8 year olds and quite possibly didn't traumatize a single damn person.  It was that worthless.

It is one thing to LIKE a remake better.

It is another to try to say that the remake is a better film than the original.  THE ORIGINAL IS THE ORIGINAL.  The remake is worst than the original by definition.

Do you think even John Carpenter himself thinks his Thing is better than the original.  He would laugh at you if you asked which one was better.  When you base something of an original piece of work, how can you say yours is better?  You would have nothing without the original!

I fucking love Carpenter's The Thing.  That is one I wouldn't argue.  At the same time I'm trying to make a point.  Carp himself would tell you, he would have nothing without the OG.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-30 18:48:02)

And if you want to talk about laughable, lets talk about the swimming scene in Last House on the Left remake.  WOW.

And did you say the Good outweigh the shit as far as remakes go?  WHAT?  I will assume that you like the direction Hollywood is taking these days.   The remakes like Last House on the Left are seriously nothing more than attempts to make money.  There is absolutely nothing artistic in a huge majority of these remakes.  Michael Bay hires directors who have never directed a single film to do some of these remakes. Some might be watchable, like Friday the 13th remake for example, but that is a terrible terrible film.  Im sure you enjoy it.  The acting in that is CRINGE worthy.  It does not get much worse.  Look up the definition of original.  Then ask yourself what unoriginal means.  Then ask yourself if being unoriginal is a good thing in ANY WAY.  THE ONLY time a remake is worth making is if the remake can stand on its own as basically an original piece or art.  like John Carpenter's the Thing or Cronenbergs the Fly.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-06-30 18:41:57)