Topic: Films that put a bulls eye on your forehead.

Thought this might perhaps be a fun topic..... films YOU like that most others seemingly DO NOT, and vice versa...  films YOU DISLIKE that most others seemingly like.
I'll start.. chime in if you have a list.

I like -  Most hate

Wild Wild West
I Am Legend
AVP
Body Double
Dinocroc vs SuperGator
Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus (and most bad CG monster flicks)
The Departed (No.. it's better than the HK version...cuz of the Nicholson character)
Con Air
The Phantom (w/ Billy Zane)
Long Kiss Goodnight (Geena Davis, Sam Jackson)
Deep Rising (giant octopus attacks cruise ship occupied by looters)
League of Extraordinary Gentleman
Van Helsing

I Don't Like  - Most Like

2001 Space (yawn) Odyssey
Blade Runner  (why ask 50 questions when you can just dab boiling water on them? D'uh?)
Nightmare on Elm Street (any of them)
The Exorcist ('Y'er not scary !!!)
Raging Bull  (I'll take Rocky, anyday.. Adrienne)
Rear Window  (pick up the pace please... or pass me Body Double)
Harry Potter (any of them. teen boy fantasy heroes... Eeeeeewwww!!)
Lord of the Rings  (see above)
Spiderman (Geek gets ignored, geek get powers, gets girls,... oh... that ole story again)
Platoon (Two and Half Men... er ahhh 2 1/2/ stars.)
Braveheart (all Scots good; all English bad, very bad. No shades of grey. Oh.. and one token crazy Irish guy, please)
Gladiator  (too glossy and trumped up. I'll take Steve Reeves or any authentic Italian 60s peplum over New Zealand Crowe in plastic armor.... mate )

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-06-28 08:44:48)

Re: Films that put a bulls eye on your forehead.

Like:

Rob Zombie's Halloween

Dislike:

The films of Jean-Luc Godard

Like:

Wild, Wild West
Jenifer's Body
I am Legend
Van Helsing
Body Double- who wouldn't like that one?
80s cheese
Weird 70s TV movies

Dislike:

Absentia- not really a dislike but I thought it was just ok.
Anything by Asylum- most of it is just so dumb!
The Divide- again just OK for me.
Troma- yeah...I Know, I Know everyone loves Troma
Chilerama- again too dumb for me. (although I did like the Frankenstein segment)

Oooh, guilty favorites. I'll play.

I like:
Zombi 3
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2
Godzilla vs. Gigan (hehe)
I Am Legend

I dislike:
Predator (not that it's a bad film, I just can't get into it for some reason)
I Sell The Dead (from what I remember of it, I couldn't get into this one either)

Last edited by The Creature (2012-06-28 13:45:30)

I lIke

Alien Resurrection
Trailer Park of Terror

I dislike (which people love)

Phantasm
Rosemary's Baby
Devils Rejects
Session 9
Hostel 1

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-03 18:16:37)

I like that people dislike...

Friday 13th Remake

I dislike that people like...

Halloween (original).

UltraViolence wrote:

Friday 13th Remake

Halloween (original).

Controversial last selection there Ultra. Each to their own though

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-29 10:45:32)

@BamaMan-  I'm with you on your "I like- other dislike" list except for I Am Legend (they blew the ending too badly for me).

Others I like- Ghosts of Mars, most of the Syfy/Asylum films, a whole slew of z-grade Turkish/Indian/Tamil "sci-fi/horror" films.

Ones I don't like-  The Hostels, any Saw after #2, most of the recent remakes (and remakes in general), Devils Rejects, off the top of my head.

Vasquez wrote:
UltraViolence wrote:

Friday 13th Remake

Halloween (original).

LOL. Delicately said.

azathoth wrote:

@BamaMan-  I'm with you on your "I like- other dislike" list except for I Am Legend (they blew the ending too badly for me).

Have you seen the alternate ending on Blu ray? It's the way it should have ended!! The original theatrical ending made absolutely no logical sense from a character standpoint.

Heh, I had a discussion with UV on his dislike of the original Halloween somewhere.  That's pretty much what I ended up telling him- everyone likes different things.

Liked:
The ghost rider movies
Jonah Hex
Dare devil

Didn’t like:
The Mist
Session 9
High Tension

ones I like
Friday the 13th remake
Halloween Resurrection
Hellraiser Hell world
Jenifers Body

Dislike:
Rob Zombie in general
All halloween movies but the one I mentioned
any of the Friday the 13th movies but the remakes
Hostel part 1
High Tension
Drag Me to hell
there are more but the list is too long

Bunshinsaba wrote:
Vasquez wrote:
UltraViolence wrote:

Friday 13th Remake

Halloween (original).

LOL. Delicately said.

I have tried so damn hard to like it but I just don't. hmm

UltraViolence wrote:
Bunshinsaba wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

LOL. Delicately said.

I have tried so damn hard to like it but I just don't. hmm

That's exactly my response for Friday 13th remake. LOL.  Still trying to figure out how Jason managed to wire up a cave with lights. Maybe he went to night school and studied to be an electrician.

The Creature wrote:

I dislike:Predator (not that it's a bad film, I just can't get into it for some reason)

You are a sick, sick young man lol tongue

@Buns -- Who don't like Con Air or The Long Kiss Goodnight!? Love em both! smile

Dislike (most like)

Zombi 2
The Wolfman (original) didn't hate it but just found it okay honestly.
The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
Friday the 13th -- I don't think its terrible but overrated imo

Like (most hate)

The Wolfman (2010)
Alien Resurrection
Cabin Fever
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
TCM (2003)
The Fly 2
Beyond Re-Animator

ChainSaW80 wrote:

@Buns -- Who don't like Con Air or The Long Kiss Goodnight!? Love em both! smile

.... most people who make films. Been on more than enough film crews that laugh and throw craft services food at me when I say I like Jerry Bruckheimer movies, Michael Bay, etc.  tongue  Can't understand how anyone cannot like either; both are awesomely cast and move through their stories like lightening. Of course, Cage is a HUGE problem in Con Air, with that horrible Southern accent and wooden character performance. Everything else, from the bad guys to the cops were just fun to watch!! And the flick is chuck fulla cool dialogue...

LONG KISS.... what can I say... Sam Jackson is the film. One of his best.

Last edited by Bunshinsaba (2012-06-30 05:49:29)

ChainSaW80 wrote:
The Creature wrote:

I dislike:Predator (not that it's a bad film, I just can't get into it for some reason)

You are a sick, sick young man lol tongue

Dislike (most like)

Zombi 2
The Wolfman (original) didn't hate it but just found it okay honestly.
The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
Friday the 13th -- I don't think its terrible but overrated imo

Like (most hate)

The Wolfman (2010)
Alien Resurrection
Cabin Fever
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
TCM (2003)
The Fly 2
Beyond Re-Animator

Gotta Agree with Friday the 13th. Its a decent film (but, yes to a certain degree overrated) but i think there are lots of far better but less praised slashers out there. I see it on the best of Horror film lists all the time but i i think some of the people, at least who write these lists are only including it based on its reputation within the genre. This perhaps also unfairly discounts the influence of Mario Bava's films , for example Bay of Blood or similar directors. Notably the slasher film The Burning is a very similar movie to F13th, which i believe was actually filmed at the same time but one i have heard so many fans of the genre claim as the best slasher film of the genre's 80's heyday era or at least one they love.

I also agree with Alien Resurrection. I think that this film suffers for being related to two masterpieces  in the same franchise – Alien and Aliens (this is also the problem with Prometheus which has i feel ben unfairly over analysed by fanboys). Certainly its elements of black humour represent a significant difference between this and the former films. If u take it as its own take on the Alien premise and enjoy it for what it is though its quite a good, though admittedly not excellent film. Certainly there are some very strong scenes that standout within the whole movie. I for example found the scene (SPOILERS) where Ripley finds the scientists failed attempts at cloning her very disturbing and horrifying. Indeed i think this scene stands out strongly and is one of my favourite among all 4 films. It is a truly nightmarish version of Dr Frankenstein's lab. Hey, we can say Alien Resurrection is nowhere near as bad as the AVP films. Lastly i just wanna say that i think that u could argue that each of the Alien films is the directors own vision of the Alien premise.

Alien:  Pure Horror/Sci-Fi movie  - 'A Haunted House In Space' or perhaps more appropriately a 'A Slasher In Space'. It could also be convincingly argued as a 'Noir Horror in space' due to its underlying Sexual themes.
Aliens:  Action/Horror Sci-Fi
Alien 3:  Horror Sci-Fi/Thriller.
Alien 4:  Horror Sci-FI with strong elements of Black Humour.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-06-30 10:04:17)

"Notably the slasher film The Burning is a very similar movie to F13th, which i believe was actually filmed at the same time but one i have heard so many fans of the genre claim as the best slasher film of the genre's 80's heyday era or at least one they love."

The Burning IS better IMHO. It was made at the same time as F13th part 2. Tom Savini declined the request to do the effects for F13th so he could do The Burning and it shows. The scene on the raft is possibly the best death sequence in a slasher and the characters were likeable. Even the story was better. There is a nice mix of comic relief from token characters which is to be expected from genre.

UltraViolence wrote:

"Notably the slasher film The Burning is a very similar movie to F13th, which i believe was actually filmed at the same time but one i have heard so many fans of the genre claim as the best slasher film of the genre's 80's heyday era or at least one they love."

The Burning IS better IMHO. It was made at the same time as F13th part 2. Tom Savini declined the request to do the effects for F13th so he could do The Burning and it shows. The scene on the raft is possibly the best death sequence in a slasher and the characters were likeable. Even the story was better. There is a nice mix of comic relief from token characters which is to be expected from genre.

Friday 2 is leaps and bounds better than the Burning IMO... and I'm talking purely from a character standpoint. The people in F2 were beautifully sketched and looking at them today they still act and play and even dress like people these days and they are so relatable. .The Burning had way too many goofy characters and silly Camp comedy sequences  like Meatballs. FX I don't care about.

I love goofy slashers big_smile Probably why I prefer the burning tbh.

UltraViolence wrote:

I love goofy slashers big_smile Probably why I prefer the burning tbh.

LOL... you should definitely check out the Sleepaway Camp series then. And while I can't stand them... it does have one spectacularly hot scene, when Pamela Springstein stuffs that slutty blonde down an outhouse toilet and drowns her in shit with a stick. Wow !!

We watched Sleepaway the other night on our movie night but I fell asleep 30 minutes from the end lol. Did enjoy what I saw.

I dislike that most love -

Saving Private Ryan

Love that many (especially here) hate -

Well, many beat me to it but I really dig the Friday remake.  Love it actually.  Thought the Texas remake was brilliantly done as well.

Oh yeah...I love the Paranormal Activity series too.  Absolutely love those films.  So suck it!  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-07-01 18:08:10)

^^Haha Ghosty, Paranormal Activity you say? tongue

That is one I really hate, which did very well at the BO!

I'll edit this when I've had a proper think, but for ones I love that most hate - the whole Saw series. I don't care that they're probably just out for money, I enjoyed the whole storyline and really loved the kills.