Topic: Favourite cliche horror character..

We all love a slasher. Most of us have at least one slasher on our favourites list and they all contain the usual suspects that we know and love. Scream made a mint out of exploiting these stereotypical characters and I sit there matching the characters to their cliches. All horrors contain a cliche character not only slashers.

The Final Female is my favourite. It's a simple formula probably made most famous by John Carpenters Halloween. I love it when the seemingly innocent victimized girl who spends most of the film being stalked by a masked madman but manages to escape by the skin of her teeth to finally turn badass and succeed in killing the bad guy all by herself usually with the first weapon that comes to hand. Jennifer from I spit also played a strong female lead and seeing her get her revenge was empowering and shocking in equal measures.

The other cliche that I love is the family member of the hero who gets bitten and tries to hide it in zombie movies, an example is Shauns mum in the horror-comedy Shaun of the Dead. I dunno why, these characters don't get a lot of air time but they provide a dramatic scene later on when the hero has to kill his own loved one. 

What are yours and why?

Re: Favourite cliche horror character..

The Horror cliche I like the most is the sexy Vampire.  He is always moody and mysterious with a little bit of a temper.  The typical bad boy that most Women go for. 

My favourite example of this cliche is Buffy and Angel.  Despite the fact that she is a Vampire Slayer, She falls in love with him. But he unfortunately turns into a super villain after making love to her.  They are doomed to be apart forever, Gotta love that one. 

How about Bram Stoker's Dracula....  He does everything he can to win the love of Mina.  She falls under his spell, but Van Helsing rescues her before she is fully turned into a Vampire.   

Even a certain sparkly Vampire follows the same Sexy Vampire cliche.  He is dark, moody, and mysterious.  Bella falls for him instantly and ends up turning into a Vampire herself.

Definitely the "funny man / straight man" duo, or characters that add levity to horror films.

Like Ted & Jimmy (Crispin Glover) in Friday the 13th Part 4
"It's says here... (smirks concealing laughter) It says you're dead fuck?" 
"A dead fuck? What's that mean, a dead fuck?"
"Y'know a lousy lay (flops hand downward).. a dead pecker."

Or Steve Braun as Jonesy in Wrong Turn 2. He was a hilarious male chauvinist with great lines.

Or the pot-smoking Palmer in The Thing
"Jyles... Jyles... Chariots of Gods man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the taught Incas everything they know."

DirtyGirl wrote:

The Horror cliche I like the most is the sexy Vampire.  He is always moody and mysterious with a little bit of a temper.  The typical bad boy that most Women go for. 

My favourite example of this cliche is Buffy and Angel.  Despite the fact that she is a Vampire Slayer, She falls in love with him. But he unfortunately turns into a super villain after making love to her.  They are doomed to be apart forever, Gotta love that one. 

How about Bram Stoker's Dracula....  He does everything he can to win the love of Mina.  She falls under his spell, but Van Helsing rescues her before she is fully turned into a Vampire.   

Even a certain sparkly Vampire follows the same Sexy Vampire cliche.  He is dark, moody, and mysterious.  Bella falls for him instantly and ends up turning into a Vampire herself.

I didn't find edward in the least bit sexy lol I prefered Taylor Lautner but they both fit their cliches, sexy broody vampire, boy becoming a man in the form of a beast. Angel and Buffy is one of my favourite forbidden romances. You just want them to be together like Ross and Rachel but know it'll never work. I thought Lestat in Queen of the Damned was the sexiest dead guy ever when I first seen it! Even if the film isn't all that good, Townsend makes one hot vamp!

UltraViolence wrote:
DirtyGirl wrote:

I didn't find edward in the least bit sexy lol I prefered Taylor Lautner but they both fit their cliches, sexy broody vampire, boy becoming a man in the form of a beast. Angel and Buffy is one of my favourite forbidden romances. You just want them to be together like Ross and Rachel but know it'll never work. I thought Lestat in Queen of the Damned was the sexiest dead guy ever when I first seen it! Even if the film isn't all that good, Townsend makes one hot vamp!

Chistopher Lee was a pretty sexy Vampire also.  Dracula 1979 has the best love scene of them all with Frank Langella.

Bunshinsaba wrote:

Definitely the "funny man / straight man" duo, or characters that add levity to horror films.

Like Ted & Jimmy (Crispin Glover) in Friday the 13th Part 4
"It's says here... (smirks concealing laughter) It says you're dead fuck?" 
"A dead fuck? What's that mean, a dead fuck?"
"Y'know a lousy lay (flops hand downward).. a dead pecker."

Or Steve Braun as Jonesy in Wrong Turn 2. He was a hilarious male chauvinist with great lines.

Or the pot-smoking Palmer in The Thing
"Jyles... Jyles... Chariots of Gods man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the taught Incas everything they know."

Have you seen Deadheads yet?  The whole movie "funny man / straight man" duo or "Buddy Comedy"

I like the Multidimensional/sympathetic Monster (usually created by man in some way or other) like Frankenstein, Godzilla or King Kong.