Topic: You top 10 war or battle films?

So what are your all time top 10 fave war or battle themed films?

Mine are:

1. Saving Private Ryan - WW 2
2. Platoon - Vietnam War
3. Patton - WW 2
4. The Patriot - American Rev. War
5. Braveheart - Scottish/british war
6. Apocalypse Now - Vietnam War
7. A Bridge too Far - WW 2
8. Gods and Generals - civil war film
9. The Green Berets - 1964 Vietnam war film
10. Alamo - 1960 John Wayne film

Re: You top 10 war or battle films?

1. Black Hawk Down
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Das Boot
5. Schindler's List (not really war)

I'm not a big fan of war films, so these are all that I could think of.  I enjoyed them slightly.

No Real Order:

1. Das Boot (German Film About a U-Boat Crew)
2. Stalingrad (German Film About The Battle of Stalingrad)
3. Der Untertag (German Film About The Last Days in Hitler's Bunker)
4. Black Hawk Down (The 1993 Mogidishu Incident)
5. A Bridge Too Far (The 1944 Market Garden Operation)
6. Gettysburg (About the Battle of Gettysburg where 60,000 men died in 3 days *Thats how many we lost in all the years of Vietnam*)
7. Schindler's List (About German industrialis Schindler)
8. The Longest Day (D-Day)
9. Flags Of Our Fathers & Letters From Iwo Jima (Eastwood's companions films about the battle of Iwo Jima)
10. Gallipoli (The Battle of Gallipoli)

Well I like hand to hand combat and sword play most of the time
1. Braveheart
2. Last of the Mohicans
3. The 7TH Voyage of Sinbad
4. Geronimo
5. Highlander
6. Warrior Queen Boudicca
7. Black Hawk Down
8. Jason and the Argonauts
9. The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad
10. Sindbad and the EyE Of the Tiger

The Deer Hunter
Stalag 17
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
Full Metal Jacket
MASH - the original movie

Thats all I can think of at the moment

thegoldensimatar wrote:

3. Der Untertag (German Film About The Last Days in Hitler's Bunker)

Yeah, I only saw the last 30 minutes of it on one of the cable movie channels one time and thought it was pretty cool. I need to view the whole film sometime soon.

I forgot about Black Hawk Down.

Der Untertag is a fantasic film, one of the best war dramas of all time.

1. Jarhead
2. Apocalypse Now
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. Gangs of New York
5.Last of the Mohicans
6. Stripes
7. Schindler's List
8. Braveheart
9. Good Morning, Vietnam
10. Jason and the Argonauts

Well these are all the war movies i have seen and for everything i listed isn't really in the order of favorite to worse.

Last edited by BlackDeathDamien (2007-05-17 14:31:44)

1)Braveheart
2)Schindlers List
3)Band of Brothers (i kno its HBO, but its one of the best WW2 "films" out there)
4)Patriot
5)Master and Commander:Far Side of the world (i dont kno iff it really counts as a war or battle film, but its really good and it does have the fight between the ships)
6)The Pianist
7) Gangs of New York (again, i dont kno if i can really count it, but its durring the Civil War)

Hey i love Gangs of New York. I even own it. But it really is hard to tell it has to do with war. I guess you can kind of say it is a war or battle movie.

BlackDeathDamien wrote:

Hey i love Gangs of New York. I even own it. But it really is hard to tell it has to do with war. I guess you can kind of say it is a war or battle movie.

ya i own it too, and its a really good movie, but thats why i said that i dont kno if i can really count it as a war or battle movie.

Well it's more of the line of a battle movie b/c of what happens in the beginning of the movie and then leading up to the final battle scene with both gangs but then all those civil war guys had to interfer with the battle.

I forgot about Band of Brothers. That was an excellent mini series.

Band of Brothers is my all time fave miniseries. I have the dvd boxset and it's awesome. It's probably my fave war film or series.

Back in the 80's there was a civil war miniseries which was good to called North & South.

Last edited by RIP (2007-05-17 17:20:40)

My dad was a sniper, paratrooper in 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion in WW2.
He's told me some wild shit that he went through. Getting dropped in the middle of it all behind enemy lines to clear it out for the troops to come in. He did a few drops.

He told me that one time he and his buddy took out a concrete bunker (I guess thats what they are called, Germans hiding in it with machins guns and shit) by themselves to help the allies progress. He wasn't suppose to, but got fed up with his commanding officer and went against his orders and did it anyways. He didn't like the way the plan was, so those two did it their own way, and got the job done. I've read about that incident before, but he sure wasn't mentioned and it was all thanks to him.

Thats just one moment in the war that he told me about. He's not the type of guy to brag about it. He went there to do a job and survived through it.

Forgot about Band of Brothers.

My parents were both 82nd Airborne during the 1970s and 1980s.  My dad's father fought in Africa and Italy during WW2 and one of my mom's uncles was in the 82nd (504th to be exact) during most of its major ops.

I forgot about "Tears of the Sun".  That's a pretty good film.

thegoldensimatar wrote:

My parents were both 82nd Airborne during the 1970s and 1980s.  My dad's father fought in Africa and Italy during WW2 and one of my mom's uncles was in the 82nd (504th to be exact) during most of its major ops.

My grandfather was in the 10th Mountain divison in the army in World War 2 and was wounded in Italy fighting the germans. They almost amputated his leg but he was awake and begged them not to and said he would live with the pain his entire if they could save it. So he was on crutches his entire life and I could feel like shrapnel all through his leg when I was a kid and it felt like little beebees like you use in a pellet gun. Also his foot was all messed up looking and he had no feeling in it. He got a purple heart along with some other medals.

I also had 2 great uncles who died in WW 2 both fighting the japanese.

Braveheart!!!!!

thegoldensimatar wrote:

Awesome man

RIP wrote:

My grandfather was in the 10th Mountain divison in the army in World War 2 and was wounded in Italy fighting the germans. They almost amputated his leg but he was awake and begged them not to and said he would live with the pain his entire if they could save it. So he was on crutches his entire life and I could feel like shrapnel all through his leg when I was a kid and it felt like little beebees like you use in a pellet gun. Also his foot was all messed up looking and he had no feeling in it. He got a purple heart along with some other medals.

Thats sad you lost your uncles and good thing your grandfather was awake. My dad was hit by a mortar bomb June '44 and got shrapnel in his arm but one of his buddies died from it. He returned to duty after healing.

here is 10 right off the top of my head that I liked a lot.

Crimson Tide
On the Beach
Das Boot
Platoon
The Dirty Dozen
Full Metal Jacket
Casualties of War
Hotel Rwanda
Saving Private Ryan

DemonToSome wrote:
RIP wrote:

Thats sad you lost your uncles and good thing your grandfather was awake. My dad was hit by a mortar bomb June '44 and got shrapnel in his arm but one of his buddies died from it. He returned to duty after healing.

Yeah, my grandfather was in a foxhole and heard a mortar shell coming down on them so he jumped out and started running and it hit the foxhole and killed the other guy in it. When he was running his right foot must have been up in the air cause it tore right through it and the back of his leg and into his shoulders on the right side....shrapnel, I mean. He was in a hospital in France and in England for like 2-3 years before he could fly back home cause of so many surgeries.

RIP wrote:
thegoldensimatar wrote:

A Uncle of mine Henry Carr (I get my middle name Henry from him) was a minister who was a "guest" of the Japanese after going on the Bataan Death March.  Never met him, passed away before I was born.

I forgot about 300...damn good.

thegoldensimatar wrote:
RIP wrote:
thegoldensimatar wrote:

A Uncle of mine Henry Carr (I get my middle name Henry from him) was a minister who was a "guest" of the Japanese after going on the Bataan Death March.  Never met him, passed away before I was born.

I forgot about 300...damn good.

My great uncle Jack was captured by the japanese during WW2 and died in the phillipines(is that how you spell it lol) and died in the Bataan death march. He was a Lt. and my great uncle who was a Col. found his remians there....well he found his dog tag.

My other great uncle was swept overboard during a battle at seas with the japs on a ship.

My uncle was killed in Vietnam 3 years before I was born. He was a Sgt and he was on a transporter type terrain vehicle with 15 other guys and they went over a mine field and it killed them all.