Topic: What is your #1 favorite horror flick of all time?

Mine is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, bar none!!! (the original version)

Re: What is your #1 favorite horror flick of all time?

The original Dawn of the Dead.  In my opinion it's about as close to the perfect horror movie as you can get.  It's well-written, well-acted, frightening, compelling, satirical, gory, blackly comedic, allegorical...it works on pretty much every single level.

This is a ridiculously hard question but if I had to take 1 movie, it would probably be Nightmare on Elm St.  That or Scream...

LoudLon wrote:

The original Dawn of the Dead.  In my opinion it's about as close to the perfect horror movie as you can get.  It's well-written, well-acted, frightening, compelling, satirical, gory, blackly comedic, allegorical...it works on pretty much every single level.

Cool!  That is a good one.

PrinceofDarkness wrote:

This is a ridiculously hard question but if I had to take 1 movie, it would probably be Nightmare on Elm St.  That or Scream...

LOL!  Yes I know it is difficult to choose!

I haven't seen Nightmare On Elm Street in ages.

I can't even make a Top 20 list.
But, today I feel like The Thing.  Tomorrow it will be something else.  Monkeys are fickle.

I will have to go with the original 50's Godzilla movie. It was dark, gritty, and very serious in tone and Godzilla is the ultimate giant monster.

Tripod wrote:

I will have to go with the original 50's Godzilla movie. It was dark, gritty, and very serious in tone and Godzilla is the ultimate giant monster.

I LOVE Godzilla!

I have been a Godzilla FREAK since I was a kid!

I have Godzilla box sets.  smile

Day of the Dead 85

I don't think I can pick just one. Way too difficult.

DarkMistress wrote:
Tripod wrote:

I LOVE Godzilla!

I have been a Godzilla FREAK since I was a kid!

I have Godzilla box sets.  smile

I also have Godzilla figures too such as the original Godzilla, Destroyah, and Robo-Zilla. My Dad's just as big of a fan too. big_smile

OMG how can I decide! I love Noes and Scream. I watch them all the time and I really enjoy them but my favourites change all the time depending on what I'm into at that particular time.

Probably Suspiria. Can't decide.

I will go with Horror of Dracula today- ask me again tomorrow...lol

^^^ Checked that flick out for the first time just a few months ago and thought it was great.  Loved Peter Cushing bounding around the room in the final scene and Christopher Lee's garrish bloody eyes and fangs, while campy, were still pretty creepy.  Hammer Horror has always been the one genre area I lacked in (I don't think I've seen but two or three HH flicks) but after HOD I've made a concerted effort to check out more Hammer flicks.

Awesome!  Another convert....Muhahaha

Check out Curse of Frankenstein next.  Peter Cushing is amazing in it.

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ Checked that flick out for the first time just a few months ago and thought it was great.  Loved Peter Cushing bounding around the room in the final scene and Christopher Lee's garrish bloody eyes and fangs, while campy, were still pretty creepy.  Hammer Horror has always been the one genre area I lacked in (I don't think I've seen but two or three HH flicks) but after HOD I've made a concerted effort to check out more Hammer flicks.

Lon! Horror Of Dracula as you yanks call it, it's called simply " Dracula" over here is the best film the old Hammer ever did. a few other recommedations are " The Vampire Lovers" " Quatermass & The Pit",  " Twins Of Evil", " Dracula, Prince Of Darkness, " Vampire Circus" " Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed". and many others although some are pretty poor. Ask the lovely Mary she loves em and is more of an expert on them than me.

Dawn of the Dead (1978 ) no question.

DG -- I have Curse of Frankenstein on my PC, as well as Plague of the Zombies (I think that's Hammer, yes?) and will be checking them out. smile

Wolfie -- I actually have all those titles you mentioned (plus a couple more) on my to-do list.  I've heard of several of them -- most notably Twins of Evil and Quatermass -- I've just never gotten around to watching them.  hmm

HM is undergoing quite the Hammer Films renaissance recently.  Even one of our new members (Dark Mistress ?) seems to be a fan.

azathoth wrote:

HM is undergoing quite the Hammer Films renaissance recently.  Even one of our new members (Dark Mistress ?) seems to be a fan.

Yes I am!  smile

DM, are you excited for the Godzilla reboot? I can't wait to see him return on the big screen.

LoudLon wrote:

The original Dawn of the Dead.  In my opinion it's about as close to the perfect horror movie as you can get.

That is how I feel about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

It just has EVERYTHING a great horror movie should AND it did not even need "gore" to  scare the pants off people. There was no gore at all. They appealed to our imagination and  the scary background noises/music just made it feel CREEPY during the whole movie!

Also, I just cannot think of  any other actress MORE terrified and more REAL than Marilyn Burns! Man on man!  All that screaming and going out of her mind at the end when she hops in a truck to freedom. She is laughing and crying at the same time and blood red from jumping out the window.
The whole "final" ending had such a SURREAL look to it! smile

DarkMistress wrote:
LoudLon wrote:

The original Dawn of the Dead.  In my opinion it's about as close to the perfect horror movie as you can get.

That is how I feel about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

It just has EVERYTHING a great horror movie should AND it did not even need "gore" to  scare the pants off people. There was no gore at all. They appealed to our imagination and  the scary background noises/music just made it feel CREEPY during the whole movie!

Also, I just cannot think of  any other actress MORE terrified and more REAL than Marilyn Burns! Man on man!  All that screaming and going out of her mind at the end when she hops in a truck to freedom. She is laughing and crying at the same time and blood red from jumping out the window.
The whole "final" ending had such a SURREAL look to it! smile

Oh, and the FAMILY is just all messed up!!! I love dysfunctional/sick families in horror!  LOL

DarkMistress wrote:
azathoth wrote:

Yes I am!  smile

Me as well!