Re: What is your #1 favorite horror flick of all time?

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:
DarkMistress wrote:
azathoth wrote:

HM is undergoing quite the Hammer Films renaissance recently.  Even one of our new members (Dark Mistress ?) seems to be a fan.

Yes I am!  smile

Me as well!

Awesome!!

Hammer Films rock!  smile

Halloween (1978)

DarkMistress wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:
DarkMistress wrote:

Yes I am!  smile

Me as well!

Awesome!!

Hammer Films rock!  smile

Hammer films is pretty much where my love of horror began.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Nearly too hard to answer. I would probably rule it down to The Thing, which I can watch over and over.

As much as I love Dawn of the Dead, I actually like Day of the Dead just a little more so that would probably be my close second.

The Shining

Alien (1979) my favorite movie of any genre.

Re-Animator (1985)

Misery for me, although my top 20 changes every week. Misery was the first scary film I ever saw, I was about 6, and I've loved it ever since.

I really want to get into HH. I'm compiling me a list of ones to watch. They are something I've never really ventured into but I definitely want to

DarkMistress wrote:

Mine is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, bar none!!! (the original version)

Mine too... since I don't class Jaws as a horror film.

Id like to change my choice to TCM 74 actually since its my first viewing experience of that film that got me into Horror. Day of the Dead 85 is my number 2.

Knives4Teeth wrote:
DarkMistress wrote:

Mine is The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, bar none!!! (the original version)

Mine too... since I don't class Jaws as a horror film.

Cool!  It's nice to meet another Texas Chainsaw fan!  smile

Loving the LIST from everyone else too!

Keep em coming!  smile

A few listed here I have not seen and need to check them out.

Dracula's Wife

It's definitely a tought question, but I would probably say the original My Bloody Valentine. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and A Nightmare on Elm Street would be close seconds though.

The Haunting (1963)

After much thought, I think I can honestly say that Halloween (1978) is probably my all-time favorite horror movie.

Chomper wrote:

As much as I love Dawn of the Dead, I actually like Day of the Dead just a little more so that would probably be my close second.

George A. Romero's Day of the Dead (1985) has been my favorite horror film ever since I saw it on the USA Network's Saturday Nightmares way back in the day.  I've always loved the tough, stylized dialogue, Savini's excellent makeup and gore FX, John Harrison's score, the oppressive atmosphere of isolation and dread, and of course, Captain Rhode's quotable rants.

I too have a hard time deciding between Dawn and Day, but I think Day is special to me, as it was strangely the first Romero zombie film I ever saw.  In fact, I believe I saw the original trilogy in reverse order.

^^^ That was the first time I ever saw Day, as well.  If I remember correctly it was early 1991, and I caught it with some Army buddies in our barracks.

I really don't have anything new to add, I mostly just wanted to ask Max if you've noticed anything different about your title...? big_smile

LoudLon wrote:

^^^ That was the first time I ever saw Day, as well.  If I remember correctly it was early 1991, and I caught it with some Army buddies in our barracks.

I really don't have anything new to add, I mostly just wanted to ask Max if you've noticed anything different about your title...? big_smile

Yeah!  Mouthful of Greek Salad, huh?  Good stuff.  Well, you better get used to it, because that's all I'm giving around here!

Just so long as you understand that I'm running this monkey farm now, Max.

Well, not really.  I'm just a mod.  But still, I snuck part of another quote in, so...boo-yah.

Maxwell wrote:
Chomper wrote:

George A. Romero's Day of the Dead (1985) has been my favorite horror film ever since I saw it on the USA Network's Saturday Nightmares way back in the day.  I've always loved the tough, stylized dialogue, Savini's excellent makeup and gore FX, John Harrison's score, the oppressive atmosphere of isolation and dread, and of course, Captain Rhode's quotable rants.

You just summed up perfectly why I love that movie aswell. What DVD/BluRay edition u got over in the states. I got Arrow Videos BluRay and single disc DVD. Them guys are awesome. The BluRay has got a comic, a booklet with some essays in it and Poster aswell as the disc extras.

Vasquez wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
Chomper wrote:

You just summed up perfectly why I love that movie aswell. What DVD/BluRay edition u got over in the states. I got Arrow Videos BluRay and single disc DVD. Them guys are awesome. The BluRay has got a comic, a booklet with some essays in it and Poster aswell as the disc extras.

I've just got the old Anchor Bay 2 disc special edition DVD from the early 2000s.  I have not invested in a Blu Ray player yet, as I'm not ready to replace my entire collection until DVDs become obscure.  I don't think they're quite on their way out yet.

Maxwell wrote:
Vasquez wrote:
Maxwell wrote:

I've just got the old Anchor Bay 2 disc special edition DVD from the early 2000s.  I have not invested in a Blu Ray player yet, as I'm not ready to replace my entire collection until DVDs become obscure.  I don't think they're quite on their way out yet.

Fair enough. I dont have BluRay player yet. I just wanted to get the BluRay before it went out of print, as the DVD of the same special edition went out of print itself.

Vasquez wrote:
Maxwell wrote:
Vasquez wrote:

Fair enough. I dont have BluRay player yet. I just wanted to get the BluRay before it went out of print, as the DVD of the same special edition went out of print itself.

This is a dumb question, but can you play a Blu Ray in a DVD player?  I've been told you can, but I've never tried.  I'm just of the opinion that it's not worth it unless you have a nice HD TV (which I don't).

Driller Killer

@Max- No B-Rays won't play in DVD players because the laser in DVD players is "too wide."  You can play DVDs in Blu-ray players, though.