Topic: Need help identifying this obscure Slasher

Hi, I was wondering if anyone here can help me identify this film. I saw it on tv in the early 90s and it scared the crap out of me. The film looked like it was from the early 80s and seemed to be a slasher film. I think it may have been set at a camp but its not any of the Fridays the 13ths, Sleepaway Camps or the Burning. I remember a scene where the teenagers are sitting around a campfire telling scary stories and one of them tells a variation of the urban legend story commonly known as "humans can lick too" where a girl's hand is licked by her dog while shes in bed. she wakes up and goes to the bathroom and written on the mirror in the dogs blood is "maniacs always get away." One of the characters in the movie is a fat guy with a Robin hood-style/alpine style hat with a feather in it. Another scene has a curly haired guy sitting in a car. A girl shakes him and his head falls off. Any help identifying this would be much appreciated

Last edited by rocketship55 (2012-07-16 19:31:02)

Re: Need help identifying this obscure Slasher

^^^ Cut you off, huh?  Hate when that happens; just a little glitch that occurs if you spend too long writing a post.  Finish up your description, we'll see if we can figure this puppy out for you. smile

Sounds like Campfire Tales (1997)

^^^ And I believe we have a winner.

Hey, thanks for the help guys. It was either 91, 92 or maybe 93 when I saw this movie. I was a little kid so it can't be Campfire Tales. I was very little but some of these details are really burned into my memory. I even told my parents about it at the time so I'm not remembering a dream or anything. Maybe it was a tv/cable series but it was pretty graphic in that decapitation scene so I doubt it.

I think DG's got it.  Sound like this one?  (1997 version).

Also a 1991 version, but that has an old guy telling the stories.

If you had cable back then, there might have been a Tales from the Crypt episode like that, but I'm not conversant with that show.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-07-16 20:15:28)

I didn't know there was a version from 91, it might be that but I can't find any clips or pics from it. I remember in the part with story about the licking the hand, I think it was just told by one of the characters and not filmed in a little vignette or scene.

97 Full Movie:

http://youtu.be/zr7aLm2kQwI

The 97 version has the hand licking story not the 91 version  smile

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-07-16 20:29:49)

Ah, okay, I didn't notice the thing about what year it was.  That in mind, it actually sounds more like a Canadian-made slasher flick from '82 called Madman.

See if this rings any bells: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_(1982_film)

Just for fun- Full movie of Campfire Tales (1991) on YouTube.

YouTube for Madman (1982)

And finally, Campfire Tales (1997) on YouTube

Thanks a million for the help everyone. I can definitely say it's not either version of Campfire Tales now. I'm watching Madman and the film grain, tone, clothing and hair styles does look very familiar. I'm going to watch it all and see if the details I remember match up. If it's any help I remember that in the scene where the guys head falls off, the girl tries to talk to him at first and he's not responsive, in a similar manner to Eli Roth's Thanksgiving trailer

Last edited by rocketship55 (2012-07-16 21:09:39)

LoudLon wrote:

Ah, okay, I didn't notice the thing about what year it was.  That in mind, it actually sounds more like a Canadian-made slasher flick from '82 called Madman.

See if this rings any bells: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_(1982_film)

I was thinking Madman also but Madman Mars didn't wear a hat with I feather I didn't think...worth a look though.

Edit:I Ah, he says a "character" in the film wears a hat not the killer..my apologies

Last edited by ChainSaW80 (2012-07-16 21:05:09)

Having finished Madman, I don't think this was the movie. Some of the decapitation scenes and characters looked similar to what I remember but there was no heavyset guy with a funny hat or that particular story told around the fire. I still enjoyed it though.

^^
If you remember any more details, post them.  We'll eventually find it for you.

The obscurity of the film makes me think it might be foreign (European) or one of the more unknown slashers from the 70s. I remember the hand licking story was told around a campfire at night. The heavyset guy with the hat seemed to be a counselor type. There may have been a scene witht them sitting around in a cabin...at least now I've discovered Madman, I've seen it twice already and find it entertaining for it's bizarreness. The decapitation scenes in Madman seem oddly familiar as do some of the ugly clothes and hairstyles but it's missing a few of the details. I remember years later I learned that the hand licking story is an actual urban legend that exists outside of just this film and was then sure that I didn't imagine or invent that part.

Last edited by rocketship55 (2012-07-18 20:49:37)

I'm still looking, and I ran across this gem of a Easter Bunny at a party losing his head-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … wards.html

Just read the URL there to get an idea of what happened.  The full video is down but there are several screen caps.

I'm still a lookin'.

Lol, thanks for your efforts friend. If or when I ever do find out what this film is I'll have to buy it immediately. I remember my babysitter falling asleep when it came on. I was very scared and couldn't find the remote so I had to sit through it. I don't remember why I didn't just wake her up, I guess part of me wanted to see what happened.

Found the Wikipedia page on the urban legend with all the movies that reference it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Licked … ar_culture

^^
Yeah, I saw that, too.  So then I tried the "girl shakes guy, head falls off," among other combos.  There were just a few hit off that, lol.  Even tried "horror films with campfires", which was worse.

I am 99% positive that it is Death Screams (AKA House of Death) from 1982.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085415/ (edited it to make it clicky!)
That story is most deifnitely in it and told in a cemetery. And a dude gets decapitated off screen (meaning it is possible his head falls off on screen when a girl finds him...but I don't recall!), There is a heavyset guy in it, but i don't remember the funny hat.
I haven't seen it in forever (probably around 9 years) so I don't remember, but I never forgot that urban legend, it was the second time I had heard it and I remember being so happy that I was reminded of that story because it used to scare me! Also this is a slasher film. The campfire story is told nearer to the end of the film and then they get slaughtered (as it goes...).
You can get this in a tin box set actually called "death screams" I've seen it around in bargain bins and it comes with 4 other low budget public domain movies. I actually planned on picking it up one time when I saw it (don't know why I didn't after...), and I think now I just might go and get it. I saw it at zellers for $10, think I will go there soon.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-07-19 06:43:48)

Here's a list of slasher movies that involve the "camp" setting from the 80's. Personally, I haven't seen them so I can't say whether or not they fit your criteria involving the urban legend, but maybe you can find what you're looking for.

Just Before Dawn (1981)
The Forest (1982)
The Final Terror (1983)
The Prey (1984)
Blood Lake (1987)
Camping del terrore (1987)

Vamp_Slayer wrote:

I am 99% positive that it is Death Screams (AKA House of Death) from 1982.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085415/ (edited it to make it clicky!)
That story is most deifnitely in it and told in a cemetery. And a dude gets decapitated off screen (meaning it is possible his head falls off on screen when a girl finds him...but I don't recall!), There is a heavyset guy in it, but i don't remember the funny hat.
I haven't seen it in forever (probably around 9 years) so I don't remember, but I never forgot that urban legend, it was the second time I had heard it and I remember being so happy that I was reminded of that story because it used to scare me! Also this is a slasher film. The campfire story is told nearer to the end of the film and then they get slaughtered (as it goes...).
You can get this in a tin box set actually called "death screams" I've seen it around in bargain bins and it comes with 4 other low budget public domain movies. I actually planned on picking it up one time when I saw it (don't know why I didn't after...), and I think now I just might go and get it. I saw it at zellers for $10, think I will go there soon.

Wow....I have that box set, but I haven't watched all the movies in it yet.  Good work Vamp!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/death-scream-dvd-cover-art.jpg

This is the only scene I can find from Death Scenes on YouTube.  In Russian, no less!

Found another short one.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-07-19 08:08:23)

Thanks Vamp and everyone! I went to the imdb board and found this post:

Seeing Grindhouse this past weekend (particularly the Thanksgiving trailer) got me to thinking about some of the "grindhouse" type movies I've seen over the years. I vaguely remember this one, I think. Is there a scene in this where a girl is running from the killer, and hops into a car, and bumps into a guy whos sitting in the car... and then his head just kind of rolls off his body? And is the first guy to get killed kind of a drunk, goofy Jim-Belushi-in-Animal-House kinda guy who gets his stomach cut and hung upside down in a shed or an outhouse or something? I might be mashing movies together. If this sounds familiar to anyone please let me know

It's going to be surreal watching this again...thanks again. Great board here big_smile

I'm surprised Lon hasn't whipped out some crazy-obscure film from the encyclopedia he calls a brain.