Topic: What is dated anyway?

Something I read today (not on here)  really urked me.  They Mentioned that In the Mouth of Madness was a good movie but very dated.  They made it sound like it was not worth watching because of some bad fashion...

I really hate it when people call a movie "dated".  Isn't everything eventually going to become dated?  Just because the movie has outdated clothing or FX does not mean it is any less valid than a newer movie.  In fact, most of the time newer movies or remakes are not as good as the original "dated" ones. 

Personally, I find older movies more interesting to watch.  It's like a time capsule of that moment in history when the movie was filmed.  The fashion and dialogue are part of that moment in time. 

Sorry about the rant, but I just cant stand that term! 

What do you guys think?

Re: What is dated anyway?

I've used that term often myself.  When I use it it's in reference to whether or not the film feels as fresh, vital and entertaining now as it did when it was first released -- which I suppose in turn also has to do with how good a film it was to begin with.  Some folks will watch Night of the Living Dead and say it's dated; I wouldn't, because the story and themes and characters still hold up today.

My two cents, anyway.

I totally agree with you Dirtygirl. A good film is a good film, it doesn't matter when it was made, Indeed as u say, in fact, a good number of newer movies or remakes are not as good as the original "dated" ones. The dated ones may indeed have been critical to the genres history and development – like older silent german movies such as Nosferatu perhaps? (who's expressionism influenced later horror american classics like Frankenstein/Bride of u cant just ignore them.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-19 17:15:42)

A good example of a movie I would consider dated would be Chopping Mall.  I remember when it first came out I thought it was great.  High-tech robots whackin' folks left and right, hot chicks running around, heads blowing up.  I never saw it again until I picked up the DVD a few years ago.  This time when I watched it, I felt it didn't hold up at all.  It was just a product of its time. 

That, to me, is the definition of a movie being "dated."

I'm going to roll with Lon on this. 
Funny, we were talking about 'Chopping Mall' the other night.  I think it was on TV about a year or so ago, and I remember being disappointed by it.  Compare that to 'Night of the Creeps', which came out the same year.  Perfect example of dated vs. non-dated (Hmmm, reminds me of girls from high school.....), even though released in the same year.

In fact im watching The Invisible Man from 33 right now and i am freakin lovin it within the first 3 minutes. If someone said this was dated they i would respond "What does it matter". Its a reflection of its time is a better phrase. If i wanna reflection of a decade then i watch a particular movie

Like say i wanted a cheesy pure 80's flick - i go to chopping mall, atmospheric then 70's or 20/30's etc. Depends on what im feeling

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-19 17:23:17)

Night of the Creeps does hold up well.  I would definitely put Chopping Mall into the Cheesy category, but not Night of the Creeps.  Let's consider ROTLD....Even with the bad 80s fashion, it's one of my favourite movies.

In general, I find the 70s Horror movies seem to have aged better than the 80s ones.  Is it just the bad 80s fashion?  Is it the bad acting or dialogue in the 80s ones?  Hmm....

^^^ I actually agree, and I think 70s horror holds up better than 80s horror because in the 70s the focus was more on story, atmosphere and suspense.  The 80s were fun for what they were, which was mostly just over-the-top violence and the advancement of make-up FX, but that's all they were.  Not a lot of substance in 80s horror for the most part.

A test: think of some 70s horror movies.  Chances are, you're remembering some terrifying sequence or some suspenseful moment or some shocking revelation. 

Now think of an 80s horror movie.  Chances are, you're thinking of a bunch of splatter FX.

When we say a movie holds up, what we're really saying is that it left an impression on us that we re-experience every time we see it.  That only happens when you're emotionally or mentally invested in something, and it takes an intriguing storyline and characters you care about to accomplish that.  And 80s horror, with very few exceptions, simply didn't bother with either.

Of course I could just be over-thinking.  Wouldn't be the first time, eh?  Eh?

Eh...

^^
Lon, remember we did a 70s atmospheric movie night, and how much we were talking about all the important parts of a film- dialogue, setting, cinematography?  And then contrast that with what we've talked about in 80s films.  You're spot on in the 70s/80s comparison.

@DG- You're going with bad 80s fashion, versus the rockin' 70s fashion?  lol

What?  You don't like polyester and bell bottoms?  big_smile

Now the original person was complaining about In the Mouth of Madness, which I don't find dated at all.  The story and actors are excellent.  So what was dated about it?  I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but I remember it being very good.  One of Carpenter's best storylines.

Oh man, it really annoys me when people say that.

I think Lon's right and not over-thinking at all. I've always preferred the 70's over the 80's. There a a few stand-outs from the 80's that I think aged well like The Thing, Near Dark, ROTLD, An American Werewolf in London... but not nearly as many as the 70's.

And I'm with you DG, I don't think that movie is dated at all. Most of Carpenter's films stand the test of time, but I think that's because, for the most part, he's a very conscientious director.

^^
Plaid, man, way too much plaid.  I thought Winterbeast (IMDB) was made in the 70s because of the plaid.  It was made in '89/91, lol .
Here's a Winterbeast plaid review (scroll down for the pics).  Even my own review of the film (yes, I actually reviewed this on HM) discusses plaid.  For those now sick of plaid, here's a review showing pics of the ridiculous monsters and a pair of boobies.

It's all about the plaid.

edit- this must be one of my Top 10 bizarre posts ever.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-07-19 17:54:41)

DirtyGirl wrote:

Now the original person was complaining about In the Mouth of Madness, which I don't find dated at all.  The story and actors are excellent.  So what was dated about it?  I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but I remember it being very good.  One of Carpenter's best storylines.

Could be the guy was being literal; it is almost twenty years old, afterall.  I don't see any other real reason it might be considered "dated."  But then I also think it's one of Carpenter's best flicks, so I could be biased.

azathoth wrote:

^^
Plaid, man, way too much plaid.  I thought Winterbeast (IMDB) was made in the 70s because of the plaid.  It was made in '89/91, lol .
Here's a Winterbeast plaid review (scroll down for the pics).  Even my own review of the film (yes, I actually reviewed this on HM) discusses plaid.  For those now sick of plaid, here's a review showing pics of the ridiculous monsters and a pair of boobies.

It's all about the plaid.

edit- this must be one of my Top 10 bizarre posts ever.

That's a whole lot of plaid!   Might have to check that one out...

^^
It's a hoot as long as you go in remembering it's a bad movie.  Also weird.  Actually had a mild Ed Wood feel to it.  With plaid, of course!

My calender.

^^
"That's a paddlin'."   -Jasper
lol

I have to admit, before joining HM last november I didn't watch much that was dated before 1990. To be honest, as a casual movie goer, I would rather see more recent stuff but as I am trying to educate myself on cinema and video history, I try to watch more from earlier years. Some films still come across as dated but I do try to remember that these films were not always old. Evil Dead is 30+ years old but man it's still so much fun, it's silly and it's dated look makes it look better as a film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Infact, I have prefered the grainy copies to the "digitally remastered" looks of a lot of movies because they are more authentic. So many people complain about the quality of VHS compared to todays bluray and it really annoys me.

^^
Padawan in on the road to enlightenment!  Monkey approves.  big_smile

*Puffs out chest and shrugs shoulders* wink

VHS wasn't about grain, digitally remastered films can retain a high level of grain, sometimes even more so. VHS was just lower quality, grain is in film, not format. TCM '74 on bluray has tons of grain. I know it's not the topic, I was just responding to Ultraviolence. I am not trying to be rude btw UV! I just wanted to specify. I DO get what you are saying though, the lower video quality can make things look more dated because the video is jusy not as crisp which can make it look "dated" and sometimes it is nice to watch it that way because it has a charm from it's era. Although yes on higher quality formats for some films grain has been intentionally swept away and it leaves the image looking strangley smooth and waxey.

Last edited by Vamp_Slayer (2012-07-20 06:03:00)

^^
Yep, image has a lot to do with processing.  WTF-Film and Eccentric Cinema (Lon and DG should check that one out) both have extensive reviews on how DVDs/BRs look & sound after processing.  WTF is seriously technical about it, where Eccentric describes it more like we (HM) do.

Also fun just to pursue around their movies.  They both have some more obscure ones.

azathoth wrote:

...Eccentric Cinema (Lon and DG should check that one out)

Already familiar with it, but thanks for looking out. smile