Topic: Horror movies that dont deserve to called Horror.

Now everyone has said their favourite non horror horror film but ill reverse the question

What films typically defined as Horror do u think should not be classified as such and why?

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-21 11:31:27)

Re: Horror movies that dont deserve to called Horror.

Jaws.  And I don't even care that I'm going to catch shit for it. smile

Oh, I don't fault you for that Lon. But, I know I'm going to catch some serious hell for this, The Blair Witch Project. A couple of students running around the woods with snotty noses  and a shaky camera, discovering stick figures does not a horror movie make. I know I'm in the minority here, but it's my opinion.

A bunch of sci-fi stuff, like Aliens & Cloverfield.

And the reason Lon isn't scared by Jaws is that he routinely jumps into the ocean for the express purpose of punching sharks for fun.

That's what they get for being immune to cancer, the sons o' bitches.

^ lol

I say any Horror movie Uwe Boll does.  They are so ridiculously sht that they should be redefined as 'torture comedy'

I sometimes see Battle Royale in horror lists. I love the movie, but it ain't a horror movie to me.

Opinions are subjective, therefore I worry less about how others view a film but instead focus on how a film affects me, and if I think a film is horror, that is all that matters to me.  And by the way Lon, Jaws is a horror flick, just ask Maven. wink

Oh, she and I have had that discussion a number of times already, thanks.  lol

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Oh, I don't fault you for that Lon. But, I know I'm going to catch some serious hell for this, The Blair Witch Project. A couple of students running around the woods with snotty noses  and a shaky camera, discovering stick figures does not a horror movie make. I know I'm in the minority here, but it's my opinion.

Instant friend big_smile big_smile big_smile (Don't let Ghosty find us yikes)

And I agree with the sci-fi thing. If I watch a horror and it ends up having sci-fi in it I'm always majorly disappointed, they aren't horror to me.

Last edited by HorrorQueen17 (2012-07-21 16:37:46)

Jaws- More of a thriller
Alien- Sci-Fi Action with suspense

Blair Witch Project-Mondo Filmmaking? Perhaps?

I think the first Alien fits nicely into the horror category, but like Azzie, I think Aliens and the other sequels are straight sci-fi.

^ this.

^^Mental Erection.

Scanners.

A good sci fi flick but not a horror.

HorrorQueen17 wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

Instant friend big_smile big_smile big_smile (Don't let Ghosty find us yikes)

And I agree with the sci-fi thing. If I watch a horror and it ends up having sci-fi in it I'm always majorly disappointed, they aren't horror to me.

ms gorefiend you are really endearing yourself to me smile if you look back at my previous posts about " The Blair Witch Project" you will see i don't like it much. over rated, over hyped and boring most of the way and not one likeable character. be warned once i get attached i'm like a limpet tongue
you watch it as well HQ i know you like women but i can wear a wig! smile
and finally don't worry about ghosty he's a pussycat.

Some of the movies in the Thriller category aren't really Horror movies...

http://www.horror-movies.ca/top-horror- … e=thriller

Ok...I do have to say something after a few posts knocking Blair Witch.  First of all, at most, people here are pretty evenly divided on Blair Witch, but I'd guess more people here hate it than like it.  So, no one is going to bash anyone for dissing it.  I would more likely get bashed for supporting it. 

Also, keep in mind, this Thread isn't about horrible movies, or bad movies, or over hyped movies, its about movies that are considered horror that people think aren't.  Not that I'm suggesting people need to stick to topic...just sayin.

Now, if you don't think Blair Witch is horror, I don't care, and agree a case could be made its not, though I would put it there.

However, if you are going to say its not horror, you should at least be fair about it.  No it is not just kids running around the woods crying.  There was much more than that, including the bloody parts showing up, the creepy noises (maybe just to me), the attack at the tent, and then the ending. 

Again, I am NOT arguing it should be considered horror, or that people should like it, just saying hating it does not mean its not horror.  Though I do think there are movies that people consider horror that have a lot less than Blair Witch.

I could say Friday isn't horror because its just kids having sex in cabins and telling legends...and that wouldn't be factual either, it would just be a way for me to knock the movie.

Ok...let the Blair Witch bashing carry on.  smile

Last edited by Ghostseeker (2012-07-21 21:24:40)

HORRORKID wrote:

Alien- Sci-Fi Action with suspense

To quote John Landis, Alien is gothic horror.  I think I will take his word for it. wink

Hum,
-Jaws (1975)
-Aliens (1986)
-The Silence of The Lambs (1990)
-The Sixth Sense (1999)
-Psycho (1960)
-Donnie Darko (2001)
-War of The Worlds (2005)
I'm just giving out some that doesn't pretty much contain any scary features.

Last edited by A Lost Boy (2012-07-22 01:40:00)

A Lost Boy wrote:

Hum,
-Jaws (1975)
-Aliens (1986)
-The Sixth Sense (1999)
-Psycho (1960)
-Donnie Darko (2001)

that's interesting because looking at that list i would say not one of those films are 100 % horror but i would include "Psycho", "The Sixth Sense" and "The Silence Of The Lambs" as horror films.the rest are ethier action/ thriller/ sci fic/ or in the case of Donnie Darko just plain weird. i do have a problem calling some of the "Serial Killer" movies horror where the main protaginist is just a "normal Human" these are more "Thrillers" surely? although i except films like " silence of the lambs " have their horrific  elements. not talking about films featuring JASON, michael myers etc. am i talking my usual mixed up, confused English balderdash? i dunno...... tell me what do you think?

Ghostseeker wrote:

So, no one is going to bash anyone for dissing it.  I would more likely get bashed for supporting it.

I got yo' back, dawg.  We won't have any bashing.  Respect each other, even if you disagree.

Ghostie makes a good point.  Remember what this topic is about -- which movies you don't think should be called horror.  Not liking a movie has nothing to do with whether it's horror or not.

Carry on. smile

wolfman1959 wrote:
A Lost Boy wrote:

Hum,
-Jaws (1975)
-Aliens (1986)
-The Sixth Sense (1999)
-Psycho (1960)
-Donnie Darko (2001)

that's interesting because looking at that list i would say not one of those films are 100 % horror but i would include "Psycho", "The Sixth Sense" and "The Silence Of The Lambs" as horror films.the rest are ethier action/ thriller/ sci fic/ or in the case of Donnie Darko just plain weird. i do have a problem calling some of the "Serial Killer" movies horror where the main protaginist is just a "normal Human" these are more "Thrillers" surely? although i except films like " silence of the lambs " have their horrific  elements. not talking about films featuring JASON, michael myers etc. am i talking my usual mixed up, confused English balderdash? i dunno...... tell me what do you think?

Surely films with a 'human monster', a serail killer deserved to be called Horror because they are very realistic. Serial Killers really exist and they be walking down the street beside you and u wouldn't even know it. Just look at the case of the recent batman shooting. They just had to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Also look at Ed Gein. Here was a real person so monstrous he had a significant influence on Psycho and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Hell some of the stuff that Ed Gein did was so hideous that they surpass the disturbing aspects in both of those films. Indeed Horror films as most recognize significantly draw from the real world.

Therefore perhaps some 80's cheesy films like The Stuff could be argued as having no horror elements because they are so unintentionally ridiculous, and therefore hilarious to watch, drawing from me at least no emotional horror. Thats not to say 'unrealistic' horror is necessarily unscary. THe Thing (Carpenters) though not realistic in terms of its story of shapeshifting aliens is or The Descent with its mutant creatures are absolutely terrifying for example.