Topic: Post Your Own Definition of Horror

What is ur own one sentence definition of Horror (as a piece of art e.g books, films etc). This can also be used to define a 'non horror horror' movie

Mine

A piece of art (book, film or other) that evokes disgust, abhorrence, horror or has disturbing aspects, either suggested, explored, which are central to the movies concepts or explicitly communicated.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-22 12:51:41)

Re: Post Your Own Definition of Horror

My one sentence definition of horror?  That's a tough one to put into words.  So, I'll just say this: I can't explain it, but I know it when I see it.

Good question, but I don't think I could even come up with a solid answer. Right now I'm along the same line of thought as Lon. I'll have a think about it.

Something that features something that insets a sense of dread and fear and maintains it from start to finish. While I appreciate some themes that leave me disgusted or disturbed, it's fear that matters to me. Home invasions and things attacking me in the night give me far more to be afraid of than a ghost that moves a few things around.

to entertain, to lose yourself on screen and to make you look over your shoulder.