Topic: Favorite Anthologies

I'm on an anthology kick at the moment and of course it's made me curious to see which films you guys enjoy that fit into this category. So which anthos are your favorite and why?

Personally, I love the Amicus films -
Tales from the Crypt (1972), From Beyond the Grave (1973), The House That Dripped Blood (1971).

I also love Trilogy of Terror (1975) and added two new ones to my favorites recently - The Offspring (1987 - also known as From a Whisper to a Scream) and Black Sabbath (1963).

Re: Favorite Anthologies

I havent watched that many trilogies. The closest movie i have come to watch as a anthology is 2008's Trick R Treat (which could be alternatively described as following a non linear narrative that intertwines several different individual 'tales' and characters). I thought that was a good movie if not mindblowing. Considering i was so impressed with Mario Bavas Bay of Blood I think ill go with Black Sabbath as my first proper anthology to watch though.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-24 10:27:14)

^ I forgot about Trick 'r Treat. Love that one. I watch it all the time. A lot of anthology films, though not all, also have a wrap-around story that connects them together like Trick 'r Treat.

Cutting Moments.  Not an anthology so much as a collection of short films, with the titular segment being the best and most horrific.  Worth a look.

I love the Amicus anthologies, they are all really good.  Dr. Terror's House of Horrors is a good one.  The best recent anthology I have seen was Theatre Bizarre.

Trick R Treat
Creepshow
Creepshow2
From a Whisper to a Scream( Gotta love that razorblade scene)
Trilogy of Terror
Campfire Tales

Dead of Night (1945)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Tales of Terror (1962)
Twice-told Tales (1963)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
Asylum (1972)
Trilogy of Terror (1975)
Creepshow
Creepshow2
Trick r Treat
Also love those Amicus anthologies.

Trick R Treat (i watch it every halloween now)
Creepshow 1 & 2 (havent seen the third)
The Telling (cheesey but good)

Creepshow
Trick r Treat
Creepshow2
Trilogy of Terror

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I'm on an anthology kick at the moment and of course it's made me curious to see which films you guys enjoy that fit into this category. So which anthos are your favorite and why?

Tales from the Crypt (1972), From Beyond the Grave (1973), The House That Dripped Blood (1971).

I also love Trilogy of Terror (1975) and added two new ones to my favorites recently - The Offspring (1987 - also known as From a Whisper to a Scream) and Black Sabbath (1963).

I just watched Tales of Terror (1962) starring Vincent Price on Netflix.  As you like the classics, you should check it out if you haven't already seen it.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Creepshow (1982), Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990), and Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993).  I've got Necronomicon on VHS, but I really wish someone would release a Region 1 DVD of it.

Another classic I really like is The Monster Club (1980), a really fun one that feels like it was made in the 60s or early 70s.   I really like the last story about the village of ghouls.  Roy Ward Baker directed it and if I'm not mistaken it's an Amicus production.

Laash wrote:

Dead of Night (1945)
Black Sabbath (1963)
Tales of Terror (1962)
Twice-told Tales (1963)
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
Asylum (1972)
Trilogy of Terror (1975)
Creepshow
Creepshow2
Trick r Treat
Also love those Amicus anthologies.

good choices Laash i like all the films you mention, don't know if they are in order of preference but i would have different order and would add to these From  a  Whisper To A  Scream and one nobody's mentioned yet which i think is very good is " From Beyond The Grave" and "Tales From The Crypt" of course. i think i did a thread similar to this ages ago but never mind smile

Last edited by wolfman1959 (2012-07-24 15:16:47)

revengebiteme wrote:

Trick R Treat (i watch it every halloween now)
Creepshow 1 & 2 (havent seen the third)
The Telling (cheesey but good)

You do not want to watch Creepshow 3, as it has no connection to anyone behind the first 2.

I absolutely loved Trick r' Treat and have added to my Halloween viewing schedule as well.  I really hope they end up making a another one, as it's one of the only modern horrors I've enjoyed enough to watch more than once.

Maxwell wrote:
Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

I just watched Tales of Terror (1962) starring Vincent Price on Netflix.  As you like the classics, you should check it out if you haven't already seen it.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Creepshow (1982), Tales From the Darkside: The Movie (1990), and Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993).  I've got Necronomicon on VHS, but I really wish someone would release a Region 1 DVD of it.

Another classic I really like is The Monster Club (1980), a really fun one that feels like it was made in the 60s or early 70s.   I really like the last story about the village of ghouls.  Roy Ward Baker directed it and if I'm not mistaken it's an Amicus production.

Monster Club is a great one with Vincent Price and Donald Pleasance.  I have it and Necronomicon on VHS.  But you can probably find them Youtube smile

Creepshow. Soooo fun!
Little deaths. Weird, independent and gross.
Three...extremes. Great one from Asia. Brings Chinese, Japanese and Korean horror together.

wolfman1959 wrote:

good choices Laash i like all the films you mention, don't know if they are in order of preference but i would have different order and would add to these From  a  Whisper To A  Scream and one nobody's mentioned yet which i think is very good is " From Beyond The Grave" and "Tales From The Crypt" of course. i think i did a thread similar to this ages ago but never mind smile

Ditto...darn, forget to add them sad

UltraViolence wrote:

Creepshow. Soooo fun!
Three...extremes. Great one from Asia. Brings Chinese, Japanese and Korean horror together.

Good call on, Three Extremes.

UltraViolence wrote:

Creepshow. Soooo fun!

Little Deaths was sooo bizarre. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one. I enjoyed Three extremes. Dumplings is one of my favorite films out of Hong Kong.

I have been on a big anthology kick as well.  I just purchased season 1 of the Twilight Zone series from 1985 and it is really good.  Every episode contains 2 or 3 shorts, most around 20 to 23 minutes, but some being shorter.  Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Directors like Wes Craven, Joe Dante, Tommy Lee Wallace, William Friedkin, I am very satisfied with my purchase even though it wasn't cheap.  There are a lot more dark episodes than I was expecting.  Sometimes still with happy endings but the atmosphere in a lot of the episodes is exactly what I was looking for.  There is an episode called Gramma that totally inspired by Suspiria, and actually based on a story by Stephen King.  Pretty darn scary.

Tales From the Crypt is my favorite television anthology show.  I am a big Robert Zemeckis fan, as well as a big fan of a bunch of the other directors who had their hands on episodes.  Tom Holland, Howard Deutch, Richard Donner.  Also really enjoy original Zones, Tales From the Darkside, and Masters of Horror.

As far as movie horror anthology goes I've always been a Creepshow guy.  And it was mentioned but Trick R Treat is definitely up there.  Not a huuuge fan of the movie but definitely watch and enjoy it a bunch when Halloween rolls around.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-07-24 19:36:30)

OK, I'm having a long-term brain freeze right here.  There was an anthology were there were 3 or 4 guys on a train, and each had a story told by a psychic or tarot cards.  One was a guy stealing something from a primitive try.  At the end when they pull into the station, you can imagine how it turns out.

Someone help out the stoopid monkey, please.

That's Dr. Terror's House of Horrors Azz smile

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/DirtyGirlMovies/drterror-1.gif

Last edited by DirtyGirl (2012-07-24 21:03:37)

^^
Thank you!  I was guessing you'd be the one to answer my plea.  big_smile

Creepshow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6vtAmFnkA

Creepshow 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPS9V5GLoBc

Tales from the darkside the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9I7nrsRCuM

Twilight Zone the movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ec1hwmlIU

Cat's eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBdshG0lWac

Body Bags
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLuApEHt4h4

Necronomicon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTkcIaZHyI

Campfire tales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZS6GOIOYZc

Campfire Tales
Black Sabbath
Twilight Zone The Movie
Trilogy Of Terror
Dead Of Night
Creepshow 1 and 2
Tales From The Darkside The Movie
Kwaidan

Last edited by ispydork (2012-07-27 21:14:00)

Dr. Terror's House Of Horrors
Torture Garden
Creepshow
Tales From The Crypt
Vault Of Horror
The House That Dripped Blood
Tales From The Darkside: The Movie
Nightmares
Trick 'r Treat (2007)
Asylum (1972)
Tales From The Hood
Dead Of Night (1974)
Trilogy Of Terror

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:
UltraViolence wrote:

Creepshow. Soooo fun!

Little Deaths was sooo bizarre. I'm still not sure how I feel about that one. I enjoyed Three extremes. Dumplings is one of my favorite films out of Hong Kong.

I really enjoyed the first and 3rd parts of Little Deaths the 2nd is definately something to be desired but it's a good showcase of indie british horror. Dumplings was very good, creepy and I still feel sick when I hear that crunching noise. The ending is just disgusting! My favourite was Cut (Park Chan-Wook) but Box (Takashi Miike) is really growing on me. Much more understated for his usual. It was Box and Audition that has made me seek out more of his work.

I am really looking forward to the A-Z of horror anthology coming soon. I voted for the letter T for Toilet by the creator of Chainsaw maid and am really looking forward to what they are going to come up with.