Topic: Why Do You Love Near Dark

Heres why I love Near Dark

- Bill Paxton's performance and character (Edit) - The whole cast
- The Bar scene
- The word vampire is never uttered
- Like other good vampire movies it is gritty, and its vampires mean and nasty. The kid 'vampire' is also interesting

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-07-31 06:33:11)

Re: Why Do You Love Near Dark

Look at the cast!  Henrickson, Paxton, Thomerson.  Jenette Goldstein- Aliens' Private Vasquez!  Vampire road movie.  It's an 8-ball of awesome cruising around just ready to explode.  And yes the bar scene.

"I hate 'em when they ain't been shaved."

Bill Paxton is such a badass in this movie. I love the whole cast. Great chemistry. It doesn't get much better. The vampires aren't pretty or refined. They don't resemble wealthy courtiers, sparkling emo kids or an 80's hair band. They are unapologetic, mean and nasty. The film is as raw and gritty as it gets. I never get tired of watching it.

^^^ All those things.  Not a lot more I can add.

The bar scene. Thats about it for me.

Love Bill Paxton's but not a huge fan of Near Dark, thought it was ok. for its time it was very cool

I can't quite say I love this movie.  I do like it a lot.  One thing I do love is the first scene with the cowboy falling in love with the Vampire.  "I've never met a girl like you before."  I also love the Tangerine Dream score.  A big fan of them ever since I saw Legend.  They also score Firestarter and Risky Business.  The whole Vamp Van is great and basically every character in the group is fucking bad ass.  Definitely one of the best vampire movies of all time and the fact that it came out the same year as Lost Boys is just badass.  The fucking 80s OWNED.  That is all there is to it.  And of course Bill Paxton is Bill Paxton. 

Near Dark is a beautifully shot film, but I do not enjoy it visually nearly as much as Lost Boys.  It just lacks the color/liveliness of the Lost Boys, which is why some people actually like Near Dark better.  It is definitely less poppy.

Bill Pacton looking sexy in those sunglasses  smile

It was the anti-Lost Boys.  Whereas The Lost Boys made vampires cool and sexy, Near Dark made them into reprehensible, merciless serial killers who I personally didn't want to associate with.  They looked like they stank to high heaven.

I own a copy on DVD.  I like, don't love the film, as it is dark, brutal, and not as easy for me to enjoy as The Lost Boys or Fright Night (my favorite 80s vampire movie).  It's held up well, as the fashions are not quite identifiable as 80s (well, maybe the older blonde).