Topic: The Unholy (1988)

I remember watching this one on VHS way back in the day, so I was pretty stoked to see it was airing on IFC.  I recorded it, watched it, & was happy to find that it's still a pretty enjoyable religion-themed supernatural horror film.

Basically, Father Michael (Ben Cross), the new priest at a Catholic church in New Orleans gets caught up in investigating murders taking place around it.  Evidence points towards some shady characters at a sweet 80s goth club, but learns it's the work of a seductive she-demon.  While it's not the best of its kind, The Unholy has a lot going for it in the way of a decent cast (including Hal Holbrook in his last, short role & Ned Beatty), a tubular synth score, & all the tacky fashions and practical FX you've come to expect from an 80s horror movie.  While it's not a gore fest & played straight, 80s horror fans will still find a lot to like from this one. 

Anyone have fond memories of this one?  I see that's been included in a few mult-movie packs, but has yet to receive a proper Region 1 DVD release.

Re: The Unholy (1988)

I remember catching it when it first hit video back in the day.  I don't recall every detail, but I remember it being a bit above average compared to everything else coming out at the time.  I'll have to give it a re-watch, refresh my memory some.

Re: The Unholy (1988)

This has been on my watch list for a while but I can't find it anywhere.

IFC played it and I missed it, wonder if they will air it again!?