Topic: Great Mainstream Horror post 2000

What mainstream horror movies that have come out post 2000 would you consider great?

Cabin in the Woods, Prometheus, Trick r Treat, Paranormal Activity, Grindhouse, 28 days Later, are the ones that come to my head first. 

Go ahead and name some just plain good ones if you can think of some as well.  I would put Scream 4 in this category, as well as Craven's My Soul to Take.  House of a Thousand Corpses as well....Fright Night remake was good too.

I have a tough time thinking of many more so I would definitely like to hear what you all can think of...

Re: Great Mainstream Horror post 2000

Orphan is one i can think of.

A refresher for 2000s movies.

And one for the 2010s.

Hmm profit wise they are all great that you've listed. The only ones that actually made me go wow! would probably be Cravens my Soul to take (it reminded me of scream with its self awareness) and probably Death Proof. Inventive and fun movies.

Mainstream hasn't grabbed me at all lately and I haven't been rushing out to see them.

Excited for Cabin in the woods, wasn't in my cinema so didn't see it when it came out but will be renting it on release date.

You liked My Soul to Take??  That is awesome I liked it as well but critics HATED IT.  I didn't think it was great and I also love Craven, but I liked the young cast and a lot of the story...

Thanks...

Still would like to hear which ones you consider great

The Devils Rejects. I enjoyed everything about this movie, especially the ending.

Kudos to 30 Days of Night aswell. That never gets mentioned enough, i think. A great vampire flick that with its indie brother Stakeland rips out Twilights sparkly throat.

Yea I didn't mention 30 days of night just because I don't think it is GREAT.  It was aight though...

I loved My Soul to Take! my Aunt hated it and my mom over thought it but I thought it was great.
Blair witch project 2 is one of my all time faves I love every thing about it. Obviously Cabin in the Woods is one of my favorites as well. Cherry falls, Ginger Snaps, Th13teen Ghosts, Rose red, Freddy Vs Jason just to name a few that I have liked enough to put on my shelf and have and can watch them over and over and not get bored. I will add more later when I finish looking at the lists

Ginger snaps was one of my first horrors. It scared me so when I walked home that night I had to run cause I was so terrified haha. Love movies that do that to me! I liked Freddy V Jason too. It was really cheesy and fun.

30 days of night was brilliant entry. Really scary nasty vampires. What I want. Plenty of bloodshed and a great storyline. This is the type of vamp I crave. really terrifyingly nasty ones. Cold blooded killers who want to shred you to pieces. I went to the cinema to see that one, it was on the board as an age 15 and I was expecting it to be much more tame. I ran out to get it on dvd on release date. I don't do that very often.

Yeah I really liked My Soul To Take. It was an easy watch, I had fun. Wes doesn't put a foot wrong very often for me. I happened to really enjoy Scream 4 except its shaky ending. I think it was badly cast in part Emma Roberts didn't seem to convince me and seemed badly suited to the role but that was personally for me. The movie itself was a nice entry to the franchise.

really? I though Emma Roberts  was really creepy! she is one of my favorite actresess

I think i've seen her in too many childish roles. I just didn't feel like she suited it hmm Each to their own smile

I can understand that smile

I loved Ginger Snaps! My mum actually jut got it for me  for easter lol and I got my brother the movie and the movie poster he is obsessed with Ginger lol

American Psycho
The Devils Rejects
Saw
30 Days of Night
The Mist
Wrong Turn
The Wolfman (2010) I liked it a lot, im one or the few lol
An American Haunting
Planet Terror
Slither
Feast
Tucker & Dale
The Woman
The Hills Have Eyes (2006)
Inside
Myrtrs

I think all these are great movies, I could probably list a dozen more that j really like as well but that's off the top of my head.

^
Not all mainstream though?

Underdog wrote:

The Devils Rejects. I enjoyed everything about this movie, especially the ending.

Yep. In my opinion it's the best horror film since year 2000 and I don't see anything coming out anytime soon thats going to change my opinion. Although Cabin in the Woods was amazing compared to everything else that has come out recently.

So what do you consider mainstream?  A movie that was shown at theatres?  Or Straight to DVD?

The industry definition of "mainstream" generally means:

1. High concept -- meaning the idea of the story can be explained in one sentence
2. Appeals to a broad audience (the biggest drawing factor being an A- or B-List star)
3. Big-budget -- in horror, anything which cost more than $25-30 million to produce
4. Given a wide release (2,000 or more theaters)

smile

There hasn't been a lot of great Mainstream movies for me. I prefer Indie movies for sure. 
Maybe Cloverfield, The Mist, Cabin in the Woods, Woman in Black, and Insidious.

I prefer indie too DG. I like how they can use a low budget more wisely and i like to know more love and care has gone into the production. Feel they work harder which makes the end results more rewarding for both the crew and the viewers.

I'll toss my hat in with 30 Days of Night & Drag Me to Hell.  I'm sure there are others but I get tired of listing movies over and over again.  No offense meant, Prince.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-08-06 17:37:10)

Most of the stuff, post 2000, that I have really, really liked is either foreign or indie, but there have been a few mainstream like Prometheus, Cloverfield, Splice, Insidious, The Mist, and Zombieland that come to mind.

Vasquez wrote:

^
Not all mainstream though?

Oh, yeah...there are few of those that aren't really mainstream. I just got carried away listing films I really liked from the past 10 years.

Of those I would say these are definitely not really "mainstream"

TDR
Tucker & Dale
The Woman

Not sure about Inside & Martyrs since there foreign...probably not mainstream for us I guess.

Cloverfield was mentioned...I agree with that, loved that movie.

Dawn of the Dead (2004) is another good one.

Does anyone here like The Grey?  That shit is fucking awesome.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-06 21:42:58)