Re: Scariest movie you have seen

The one that scared me the most when I first saw it was The Evil Dead. After that the original Friday the 13th and the original Amityville Horror are tied for 2nd. Both freaked me out as a kid.

Thank you everyone for you suggestions! smile

Definitely agree that The Descent and Insidious are two of the scariest films of recent years. For me though, my personal scariest are ones I saw and was scared by as a kid, which probably means they wouldn't be scary to someone watching for the first time as an adult

Not really a Horror but...
Frozen 2010

Three friends hit the slopes for a weekend of skiing and snowboarding. But after they convince the chairlift operator to let them take one last run before closing, they find themselves stranded in midair, alone and freezing.

I have a fear of wolves. To almost anyone else, the movie probably didn't seem bad..Lol. But to me, it scared me and could not watch it again!

Noroi: The Curse
http://dope.sg/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/noroi-original.jpg

Now, it takes A LOT to creep me out, and I mean A LOT, but this film definitely did it!
It's kinda like the Japanese Blair Witch Project, only a lot more gruesome and disturbing.

It's by far, the scariest horror film I've seen.
The full film's right here 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilHmpETJgZ0
Give it a go, you won't be dissapointed

Have not seen nor even heard of that one, RawHead.
The scarier, the better...what I always say!

Heh, I watched Noroi with Golem.  Bit of a mind bended on top of the spooky.   Monkey approved.

@Killerbees I really liked frozen.  I have a fear of being cold lol but wolves are pretty scary too.  If you liked Frozen you might try Open Water or Open Water 2.  You don't need to see the first one before you watch the second one.  They are two completely different, independent, storylines.

Frozen was great. Damn how could it not with Cage, Cusak and a stripteasing Vanessa Hudgens, oh yes... big_smile

AND FREAKING NOROI, WOW THE DAMN AWESOME FLICK IT IS!!!
I am definitely a Hardcore Asian Horror Fanatic, I spend days on http://asian-horror-movies.com/ checking out flicks from there but this one definitely sits on top of my favorite list with Ringu, Death Bell and more.

Phenomenally creepy. Love. love, love!!!

I don't get scared by horror movies anymore but when i was young , the likes of Salem's Lot & Poltergeist scared me. 

How about Ju-on the grudge ? It has some decent scares.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVbWpwkCJRg

I'm glad you all could get a kick out of Noroi ^_^

Such an errie atmosphere.

Shutter (2004) creeped me out a lot.

The Exorcist messed me up when I was younger, so it will always be scary to me.

Grave Encounters is actually a pretty good one from recent years, the atmosphere had me.

The first one to really give me a scare was The Sentinel (1977).  I saw it in '79, when I was 7 or 8 years old, and it gave me nightmares for days.  But the one that really got me was Halloween, which I saw during its TV broadcast premiere in '81.  I haven't been scared that badly by a movie since -- and I saw it at a friend's house and had to walk home in the dark afterward.  lol  To this day, it's still the scariest movie experience I've ever had, and while it doesn't scare me now, some thirty years and a hundred + viewings later, I can still watch it and remember very clearly how badly it scared me way back when.

The only movie I can think of that's come as close to actually scaring me as badly as Halloween is The Blair Witch Project.  By that time I was almost thirty, and I hadn't been scared by a horror film in years, but that one, man...  I remember about halfway through my gut started to tighten up and I knew, this was going to be one to remember.  Then when she goes down the stairs and sees Michael standing in the corner, my gut just dropped.  I remember actually shivering and making some kind of audible "ugggghhhhhh" type of sound. lol

It still didn't scare me as much as Halloween -- again, I was ten, and you can only get that kind of scared as a child -- but it did come close.

Chomper, have you seen the original Asian Shutter??? Even more creepy.

LoudLon, yeah Blair Witch scared the H3LL outta me. The only one that scared me that much is Grave Encounters.

And I was about that age when I saw Evil Dead for the first time and man, couldn't take off the images from my head for a insane long while. Uggggghhhhh sounds for quite a while I was doing. lol

signs

^ Yeah, IMHO Signs is a pretty underrated movie.  I did get kinda freaked out at a few scenes too.

Just rewatched this earlier and it IS SCARY as MAD!!!

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST

Evil Dead and Salems Lot got to me when I was a kid

I have found that found footage films are my favorite types of movie and I would now have to say Blair witch

@Uwe-
Funny, we were talking about movies last night, and my mom brought up that Salem's Lot freaked me out as a kid.  I still get uneasy when I'm all alone outside on a sunny, windy day (the graveyard scene).

Sorry to be a part pooper but i thought Norio was at worst me-andering and boring and at its best only mildly creepy.

I find Horror at its scariest when its real and The Seasoning House (2012) is as real as it gets.

Unlike many Horror films which use the 'based on a true story' tag as a marketing gimmick more than anything else Paul Hyett - the effects man behind The Descent (2005) - accurate depiction/exploration of the real life sexual exploitation and severe abuse of women during the 1990's Balkan war is disturbing as it gets, if only for the fact that some events were more worse than he could show onscreen.

"Mama" really freaked me out for some reason. I watched it at 3am also >_>

I think terrifying and scary are different for me. For instance I found Martyrs to be terrifying instead of scary is that makes any sense.

It for me just because I thought something could grab me from under the bed. For two weeks I would get a good run so I could jump onto my bed. Funny the things that scared you when you were a kid. I remember freaking out when I saw a flock of birds after seeing the birds. I was just thinking there going to peck my eyes out. I also remember when animals attack. I remember going hiking and reading a sign saying beware of mountain lions and was I'm going to back to car.lol

I thought Shutter was pretty scary...