Topic: evil dead remake

http://screenrant.com/bruce-campbell-ev … ash-cameo/

I didn't know it was being produced by Raimi and Campbell.  Has me hopeful for at the very least, a very entertaining movie.  Don't know about the director though...

Re: evil dead remake

I really don't like the idea of an Evil Dead remake, let alone that Ash isn't even the main character anymore but like I don't kow how to explain it really...for when the Evil Dead movies were released, how insane and funny they were, that's what made them what they are. Now...now what? Why do we need a remake? Answer is, we don't. It's going to be some movie with the name Evil Dead on it to give it some recognition. I don't mind certain remakes but when some of my favourite movies get remade, I dislike it heavily unless there is a legitimate reason for it.

I have a mindset of "nothing good will come out of this remake" unless the movie proves me wrong, but I strongly doubt it.

You have to realize though with most remakes there are terrible people involved.  This has Raimi and Ash producing the movie.  That will go a very long way.  It will be decent on that alone..

I read an update a couple days ago with Bruce Campbell.  He says he's seen the remake and was hugely impressed with it.  I don't like the idea of remakes in general but a good movie is a good movie, and if Ash himself is endorsing it...

I highly doubt Bruce Campbell is going to bash the s*** out of the movie though, I would think it's obvious he is going to be "impressed" with it.

From Digital Spy...

"Campbell -- who also served as producer alongside Raimi and Rob Tapert – is known for his frank candor in interviews, and so when the actor revealed he’s seen a rough cut of the film and thinks it’s 'fabulous,' it marked a change of pace indeed. 'We're really excited and really behind it, [but] it's going to take a bit to get the Evil Dead fans behind it,' Campbell explained to Digital Spy.  'We know we've pissed a lot of them off. We appreciate that and we appreciate their anger and their zeal, but the only thing we want to impress upon them is that we didn't screw it up. This is going to be just as memorable as [the original] Evil Dead without being the same movie.'"

BC's bashed a lot of his own films in the past, even the ones he's served as a producer on; he's not afraid to call a spade a spade.  Obviously there's no way to know for sure until we see the movie, but if Campbell says there's something to this remake, I'm inclined to take his word for it.

Yeah I guess...I dunno, I'm just one of those Evil Dead fans at the moment where I can't see something good from this remake but I hope I am proved wrong when it releases big_smile

The Bruce is not one to use weasel words.

I think that there is no way that they will top the original. Raw indie enthusiasm and talent can be 'groovy' and all powerful force as u can see from the original resulting film. However u never know the remake could be decent especially with the people behind it. In this case then maybe a lack of expectation could help the reception of the film. As i say i am not expecting it to be a masterpiece but if its a decent movie then i feel its worth giving a watch. I also however kinda agree with Scavenger, i would far rather prefer, if Hollywood insists on doing more remakes that they remake movies that weren't amazing originally - i.e, they maybe had a good concept but it was executed poorly and therefore money could be put to a more valuable use by improving and updating it.

I'll still see it. I don't think it can top the original, but it will probably still be worth a watch. I'll reserve my opinion until it's available. With that said, I agree with the idea that Hollywood should remake movies that could use an improvement rather than films that are already good if not brilliant. There are a lot of movies out there that have a good premise but suffer from horrible execution. Why not remake those?

Last edited by Ms.Gorefiend (2012-08-21 18:44:19)

Are you kidding? This reboot will be bloody (pun intended) AWESOME.

If Bruce Campbell & Sam Raimi are behind it and pushing, I'm in. Think about it, this will be the best thing for fans of Evil Dead since the early 1990's when Army of Darkness came out.

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii597/creaturekillswell/EVilDead.jpg

Plus, if the film does turn out to be shit, we can just ignore it and move on and not say one peep about it, right? big_smile

^^
If it's horrible, it will most assuredly be on a Movie Night so Lon & I can riff the holy monkey poo out of it.

I give all remakes a chance so I'm certainly not going to rule this one out. I serioulsy doubt it will be as fun as the original, but I think it it'll turn out to be pretty good.

^
I gotta admit i do like that typography. Hopefully the movie will impress me as much big_smile

azathoth wrote:

^^
If it's horrible, it will most assuredly be on a Movie Night so Lon & I can riff the holy monkey poo out of it.

Or we could do that too. That would be fun! smile

LoudLon wrote:

I read an update a couple days ago with Bruce Campbell.  He says he's seen the remake and was hugely impressed with it.  I don't like the idea of remakes in general but a good movie is a good movie, and if Ash himself is endorsing it...

U MET BRUCE CAMPBELL!?

Nope.  I was just quoting an interview with him I read recently.  Met Kane Hodder once, though. lol

Well, you get chances to meet with awesome horror movie stars.

I got some Bruce time once.  Then he hit on my wife, :lol !

And you didn't immediately proceed to telling that story why?  Spill it, man!

^^
You know the story, so poof off!  lol tongue
But for the others, once I wake up again (we only got to the in-laws at around 3AM), I'll give the full account.

I am little torn with this movie. as don't want it to happen but still it could turn out to be really good remake for once.

Hoping they don't make me too modern, that goes wrong with number of remake as plot are more sustainable for the times they came out.

"This is going to be just as memorable as [the original] Evil Dead without being the same movie."

This line is interesting to me. I'm wondering if they are gonna take it in a different direction. Like maybe not as campy?

if Raimi was directing I would be behind this 100 percent.  The fact that he is not behind the camera worries me a little, but other than that I am quite excited for this remake. It is very interesting that Raimi and Campbell are producing though.  I just wonder how much involvement they will actually have other than investing on it and then cashing in on the ENORMOUS amount of money it makes.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-23 19:25:03)

OK, so here's The Bruce story-

Back when I was in NJ, this little theatre did an Evil Dead II night, with The Bruce opening it and answering questions after.  Then he sat in the lobby signing all types of things.  I brought a couple of small posters and just some random crap I printed out.  This was when he was being the thief guy (Autolocus?) on Xena & Hercules.  When he got to the thief pic he was all excited that someone knew that. 

So, Vampy takes a couple of pics of me and him, and then he says, "Yo, pretty girl, get over here and make him take the pictures!"  Which we did.  I post them, except this was still back in actual camera film days, so they are in storage somewhere waiting to be developed.  If they have degraded, I will be a sad monkey.

Later on, I heard that he stayed until like 2AM signing crap for people!  That's like 5 hours, I think he did that.  Plus he didn't mind chatting to everyone for a little bit.  That was the exact point when he became "The Bruce" to me.  400 people in line and I get to chat for about 5 minutes with him!  And he hit on my wife!  Try that with Tom Cruise and he'll probably try and sell you a Ron Hubbard book.  lol