Topic: Shocker!

I have always loved the way Craven directs teen horror.  Shocker gets overlooked because of course it isn't great, but there are definitely some great parts.  The opening credits for example are just 80s Craven at his best.  What a great song to start the film.  This movie gets a tad bit goofy and almost plays more like a teen movie than a horror, which is probably one reason I like it so much.  It kind of reminds me of Nightmare on Elm St 4 but better, even though Craven had nothing to do with that film. 

Also you can't ignore how great the movie looks.  Colors and dream sequences are absolutely phenomenal...

Also love the neighborhood atmosphere in Nightmare on Elm St and Shocker.  Something about how Craven makes his night scenes look is really great.

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-21 17:50:53)

Re: Shocker!

It's cheesy as hell but I also like it. As you said it's gets a little to over the top towards the end but overall its a fun flick. If you like Shocker you might also like the movie " The Horror Show" , it's very similar in some ways; just has a lower budget.

Last edited by Suspiria_89 (2012-08-21 18:50:13)

Shocker isn't great by any means, but I agree with Suspiria in that it's a very enjoyable watch. I've only seen it once, but I'm up for another watch something soon. It's all in good fun.

Also, regarding Sus's post, 'The Horror Show' is on Netflix if anyone is interested.

Interesting never come across this one before. Another film to add to my expanding knowledge anyways. Thx for the heads up Prince.

I started watching this on Youtube a while ago,but got distracted and never got to finish it.Maybe I should re start it.

Last edited by KillerClown (2012-08-21 19:38:26)

If you haven't seen this in awhile, you will probably be surprised at how good it is.  It really has some scary gruesome things going on.  It is rated R and Craven had to do some serious cutting because it originally was given an X rating.

I will definitely check out "the horror show."

Last edited by PrinceofDarkness (2012-08-21 20:37:44)

I really liked Shocker, but it might have something to do with how much I loved x-files.  The only reason I watched it in the first place was b/c Mitch Pileggi was in it.  I can admit I enjoy a cheesy movie every once in a while.

I thought I'd seen it, but turns out I watched The Horror Show. They're quite similar.

Its horrible, but I like it.  Saw it as a midnight movie when it first came out.  I frequently, out of nowhere, quote the line from the poster...

On October 2nd, mass murderer Horace Pinker was put to death...now he's really mad.

No one ever know what I'm talking about.  big_smile

haha^

I really don't think it is horrible.  Looks great, has some great things going on, but definitely has some cheesy moments.  I thought it was horrible before the last time I put it in but realized that Craven had quite the vision with that film.  I mean it is like 2 hours long which is almost unheard of for a cheesy 80s slasher.

Ghostseeker wrote:

Its horrible, but I like it.  Saw it as a midnight movie when it first came out.  I frequently, out of nowhere, quote the line from the poster...

On October 2nd, mass murderer Horace Pinker was put to death...now he's really mad.

No one ever know what I'm talking about.  big_smile

lol

Reminds me of when I used to blurt out to co-workers, 'You have broken ape law!"  I was always disapponted that no one knew what the hell I was talking about.

I love Shocker, but there's still that one scene that's really weird and creepy.

Its when Johnathon and Allison are walking on the street and yeah its a dream I think last time I watched the movie, Johnathon and Allison go walk up to some house and all of a sudden you see 2 or 3 kids laughing and running on the street and they disappear.

It was like watching a Nightmare on Elm Street movie with that scene in Shocker LOL

LoudLon wrote:

Reminds me of when I used to blurt out to co-workers, 'You have broken ape law!"  I was always disapponted that no one knew what the hell I was talking about.

Dude, that's like my entire life.  And Mitch Pileggi.  An ape-man Mitch Pillegi would rock.  It's also 3AM and I haven't slept much recently, big_smile

I've experienced multiple fails dropping quotes from movies/TV shows/commercials at work.

"Work shed." 
"Get a job in a side-show." 
"Oh, Billy-Billy-Billy-Billy..." 
"You're in trouble now, birdsong." 
"He doesn't stand for baloney."
"Kneel before Zod."
"Meteor shit!"

And numerous others.  No one has ever known where a single one of them was from. hmm

^^
Except for here. 
And the entire time Lon is reciting lines we hear dueling banjos in the background....  tongue

So bored right now.  Lon, pop on Skype so I can make fun of you.  big_smile

This is  another movie that as that been on  my watch list,  for really long time, dose sound like something i will enjoy!