Topic: Sick of limited releases

Sorry, gotta vent a little.  Really sick of good movies with very limited releases, first The Host and now Severance.  Not playing anywhere near me, damn.  Now I'm wondering about Fido and Black Sheep.  I really hope the dvds come out relatively fast.  It kills me, they'll have three theaters playing something I could care less about and not give any of these movies any play.

Re: Sick of limited releases

Oh i'm definitely in the same boat with you Tina. I am so damn sick and tired of these limited releases. I was really looking forward to seeing Severance, now thanks to the damn limited release for this movie, i don't have the privilege of seeing this movie. Enough of the god damn limited releases. They have to have all the other crapy and lameass movies come to the theatre world wide but not Severance. It's so f**king bullsh*t. mad

Sorry you won't get to see it either BlackDeathDamien, it really is ridiculous.  I WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE SO BAD, unbelievable.

Oh i know same here. This was one of the movies i was really excited to see in the theatres but now i can't. mad

Well here in BFE we too are in the same boat.  It sucks ass.:(

I know how you feel as all the small indie flicks I have wanted to see have passed on by (with the exception of The Tripper).  Unfortunatley there is not much we can do about this.  No matter how much it sucks, these small non-studio backed pics fight for almost every little theatre they play in.  It's unfortunate that not many people get to see these in the theatres, but thats the business these days.  But for those fortunate enough to see these small movies if they are in their area, we can only hope they go ahead and review them and fill us in as to if the experience was worthwhile.

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-05-20 20:45:16)

Yea while it sucks it is still great that the films get some form of a theatrical run.. Just ask Gary Ugarek the director of Deadrising.. Even though his little zombie flick only played in one theater I can bet that it meant alot for him to see it on the big screen..

But being a limited release doesn't help out the studio at all not one bit with all the money they spent to make a movie and it's not shown at alot of theatres at all. They're sure as hell not going to be making that much money and losing all that money too. All the money that they spent on what goes in the movies goes down in the tubes and they're pretty much wasting money. Unlike if they did a direct to DVD or world wide theatre showing, they would gain there money back plus more.

Not really Severance, The Host,  and Black Sheep were all released over seas and then bought by a smaller distribution company here in the states.. They don't pay that much money for it.. Plus they don't pay much for advertising because basically it all is online which is basically free..

All those movies above will make a killing on DVD. So they are not wasting money, just giving a couple fans an oppurtunity to see it on the big screen in as many theaters as they can really afford in the biggest theaters where the most people will see it.. If a movie like The Host played in some rural area in the midwest it wouldn't be seen by very many people.. Now if it plays in Chicago, New York City and Los Angeles alot of folks are going to see it because those are big melting pots filled with movie going people..

Yeah that's true. But i'm still pissed about the idea of limited release movies. So damn retarded. And don't even get me started about the first 5 min. to Hostel 2 before Bug. I don't even want to go there.

I don't think you should be pissed at the idea.. I mean yea it sucks but o well.. You will eventually get to see the movie.. If you lived in NYC or LA you wouldn't be pissed at limited releases.. It just comes down to where you live..

I mean I don't get to see very many limited releases either but I know that the limited release is good for the movie.. It kind of reminds me when Land of the Dead was moved up to June.. I was really happy but in the end Land of the Dead was screwed because it only took in maybe $20 million total.. Had it been released in Oct. like it had been originally planned it would have made a boat load more..

Yeah i'm going to see Bug in the theatre but i'm going to make sure that i miss the first 5 min. of Hostel 2 before hand.

Being that I live a couple hours away from LA, I get some limited releases.  For some reason, though, "Severence" never played near me.  A bit bummed, but I'll be sure to check it out on DVD.

I'm happy that these movies are at least getting shown on the big screen, I know that means a lot.  It just bugs me when you see Shrek the Third (no offense to Shrek) playing in 3 out of the 12 movie theaters in a multiplex and none of these movies.  I even checked the 3 neighboring states and nada.  I'll definitely be buying the dvds but I'd love to see them on the big screen.

Heh yea trust me I know where you guys are coming from.. I'm pissed that I don't get to see these movies.. But not at limited releases.. You can't blame the studios for only doing as much as they can.. Magnolia is pretty much the one co. that handles alot of limited releases.. The reason most of the films they get are given limited releases is because they are foreign language films.. Case in point The Host.. They don't have the kind of money that the big studios have to advertise so they have to work there way up slowly..

I guess there's nothing you can do about not seeing the limited releases. We're just going to have to wait to see them once they are out on DVD. Oh well i can wait. I won't let it get over my head anymore. Shit hits the fan, then comes and hit me and everyone else. So oh well.

Yeah, I would have to drive 2 hours one way, to Minneapolis, to see some of these movies.  I love movies, but not that much... I have to wait for the DVDs.  I'm sure that I'll have to wait for DVDs on Fido and Daywatch among others.

Well Day Watch is a given. That's definitely going to be a limited release and wait for it on DVD. Just like what they did with Night Watch.

its times liek this we need limewire and bearshare to see these good movies... thats how i got to see high tension a whiel bak ago its pretty cool but u gotta wait a sumtimes a month til u get a file that downloads but hell thats 1 month sooner u get to see it

Limewire sucks. DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANYTHING FROM LIMEWIRE!!!! It's a waste of your time.

Limewire doesn't suck. I got lots of rare tunes from it.

I know a couple of sites where the audio is perfect. CD quality. If you want me to give you them, i will. Trust me the sites i go i haven't stopped going to getting them. Plus you get the entire full albums than searching for one by one to get the entire album.

So it's official that Day Watch is going to be a limited release. I was watching Attack of the Show earlier today and they showed a clip of the movie and the hosts announced that it will be a limited release. I knew it was going to be. It's not a surprise at all to me.

Being that I live a couple hours from LA, I get a few limited releases.  I remember getting "The Host", but for some reason, not "Severence".  A bit bummed, but I can wait for DVD.

I know the feeling. Some of the movies I've watched a la Grace and Pontypool, I have had to rely on the net to watch them as they are nowhere in our precinct and by the time they do get to where I am, others have had the movie for around 6 months beforehand. I hate how it's so limited where I am, I really want Grace on DVD and I am still waiting for the DVD to come to our store. The wait is ridiculous, imo.