Re: The non-horror movie guessing game

Aw, you're such a meany Lon! Anyway, next one...
If anyone gets this, not only will I donate all my toetags, I'll give you my toes!!!
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh544/Fulcento/vlcsnap-2012-09-30-21h46m36s147_zps3dda02b6.png

I take back the pledge of sacrificing my toes as the guy on the right is a very famous cockney actor. First one to get it gets the middle toe off my left foot! lol

The bloke on the right was 'THE DADDY' in Alan Clarke's brutal and highly controversial BBC film 'Scum' and the bloke in the middle got chopped into smithereens by Malcolm McDowell in Gangster No 1...............

Bad thing about the U.S. - we don't get a lot of Brit flicks over here unless Hugh Grant or Guy Ritchie is involved. hmm

LoudLon wrote:

Bad thing about the U.S. - we don't get a lot of Brit flicks over here unless Hugh Grant or Guy Ritchie is involved. hmm

Yeah, it's a crying shame you yankees don't get to see our films cos occasioanally they're worth a view. We tend to make rather dismal kitchen sink dramas these days but we still have some of the best acting talent going. Mine was from 'Nil By Mouth'.
Anyone go...

Is the guy on the right a very young Ray Winstone?

It is Mr Winstone but I kinda revealed the title of the film in my previous post as it'd been up for days so please feel free to post any picture you fancy alien me mate...

I thought that it was him.  I just recently watched he and his daughter in Elfie Hopkins.

Fulcento wrote:

...but we still have some of the best acting talent going.

This is more true than you think.  It's crazy the number of Brit actors showing up in H-wood these days.  So much in fact that there have been complaints from the US acting guild about all the juiciest roles going to Brits (and Welsh, and Australians).  Batman, Spider-Man, Thor, Superman, Loki and Ozymandias (Watchmen) to name just a few.

But I don't mind.  Brit actors tend to be better trained and hence more capable of breathing life into even mediocre roles.  When it comes to actors here in the states more emphasis is placed on looks instead of acting chops, which is why we have so many actors like Zack Effron, Jessica Alba, and Kat Dennings -- all so-called "pretty faces" but not a one of them could act their way out of a wet paper bag.

Us Brits tend to get typecast as either archetypal baddies (Alan Rickman in Die Hard leaps to mind) or rather foppish sorts ala Hugh Grant in EVERY doe eyed stuttering performance he's ever submitted but, speaking from personal experience my missus fawns over Johnny Depp, a guy with looks to die for AND natural charisma and acting prowess so it's swings and roundabouts, if I ever come across as snobby then feel free to edit my posts haha because almost all of my favourite films are from Hollywood. It's true that Lawrence Olivier, Christopher Lee, Anthony Hopkins, Christian Bale et al may be British but they all ply their trade in your great land. Btw - one of my absolute favourite films is Boogie Nights, - and that film stars both John C. Reilly and Phillip Hoffman who are anything but lookers but add so much to the film. Sorry if this is massively off-topic but  I'm a massive Americaphile and yeah, your soap operas are populated with vacuous attractive dolts, yeah, your pop music makes us all want to blow our brains out with a Luger but your film industry is the envy of the world. Oh yeah, and Jessica Alba is probably the most beautiful woman in the enire universe so I really couldn't care less how well she acts!!!
Just watch this and tell me you give two shits about her chops lol!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmzcKXsllWs

P.s - sorry about this rant haha!!!

Well, Rickman may have been in a stereotypical Brit villain role but he made it fun and interesting.  When I think of the movie Die Hard, he (and Alexander Gudinov) are the first things that come to my mind, not wise-crackin' Bruce Willis. lol

That Alba vid -- yeah, that does nothing for me.  Maybe it's because I'm in my forties now and am just old and grizzled, but it takes more than a pretty face to interest me.  Besides, you haven't seen the majority of my ex-girlfriends.  At least two of them would put Alba to shame (and hell yeah, I am TOTALLY bragging lol ).

As for Boogie Nights, you're singing to the choir, man.  I LOVE that movie.  Easily in my top ten favorite non-horror flicks list.  Everybody in it is exceptional, from Wahlberg, to Reilly, to Reynolds, Heather Graham, Don Cheadle, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy, Alfred Molina, Thomas Jane...even all the bit players (including musician John Doe, front man for the punk band X, playing Moore's husband), Robert Downey Sr., Michael Penn, Nina Hartley...everybody, they're all fantastic.  And PT Anderson nailed the era, how it looks, how it feels, an impeccable soundtrack...it's one of those very, very rare movies about which I don't have one single complaint.

Incidentally, Hopkins and Bale?  Their ours now.  And you can't have them back. tongue

Oh!  And another Brit who snapped up a heavily coveted role -- Charlie Hunnam as lead character Jax in the TV show Sons of Anarchy.  He embodies that character so well that it's on only the rarest of occasions that he slips a bit with the accent.  But the attitude, the "bro walk," the posturing...dude plays a great American bad ass biker.

LoudLon wrote:

Well, Rickman may have been in a stereotypical Brit villain role but he made it fun and interesting.  When I think of the movie Die Hard, he (and Alexander Gudinov) are the first things that come to my mind, not wise-crackin' Bruce Willis. lol

That Alba vid -- yeah, that does nothing for me.  Maybe it's because I'm in my forties now and am just old and grizzled, but it takes more than a pretty face to interest me.  Besides, you haven't seen the majority of my ex-girlfriends.  At least two of them would put Alba to shame (and hell yeah, I am TOTALLY bragging lol ).

As for Boogie Nights, you're singing to the choir, man.  I LOVE that movie.  Easily in my top ten favorite non-horror flicks list.  Everybody in it is exceptional, from Wahlberg, to Reilly, to Reynolds, Heather Graham, Don Cheadle, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy, Alfred Molina, Thomas Jane...even all the bit players (including musician John Doe, front man for the punk band X, playing Moore's husband), Robert Downey Sr., Michael Penn, Nina Hartley...everybody, they're all fantastic.  And PT Anderson nailed the era, how it looks, how it feels, an impeccable soundtrack...it's one of those very, very rare movies about which I don't have one single complaint.

Couldn't agree more about Boogie Nights, it's one of those rare films that come along about every ten years or so that have perfect casting, perfect music, perfect pacing and direction and just sum up an entire era so saliently and accurately. Boogie Nights is an example of filmic perfection, I seriously can't fault a single facet of the entire two plus hours of its runtime, it takes you on a journey.
But... BOLLOCKS have you had two exes more fit than Jessica Alba you braggart!  If you've been with two hotter women than Alba I'll eat my own teeth. Can't say fairer than that! big_smile
Now go ahead and post a flaming non horror picture LoudLon before this thread turns into the 'write a wall of text that no one else will ever be bothered to read' thread!!! lol

Last edited by Fulcento (2012-10-05 18:03:10)

^^^ Cleaned that up a bit for you since I couldn't at first tell your part of the response from the part of mine you were quoting. big_smile

Gimme a sec and I'll post a new pic...

Okay, new pic -- and speaking of great (and in this case, sadly, late) Brit actors...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/loudlon/vlcsnap-2012-10-05-19h08m10s10.png

PS - I've never eaten teeth before bud I'd imagine they'd go down more easily with a side of cream corn. big_smile

^
Yeah, I left my retort in the middle of one of your paragraphs, then tried to edit it myself but you beat me! big_smile
Ya see? This is why drunken idiots like me should be able to manipulate other folks comments hahahahaha!!!

Bump!

And a hint: the actor in that pic shares his last name with the guy who who assassinated Abraham Lincoln.

Is it The Jazz Singer?

Nope.

Hint #2: See that thing in the lower left corner?  That's a helmet, and is being worn by a ninja.

Pray for Death?

Yep!  Your go, Fucl.

I sincerely hope that was a typo Lon and you weren't intentionally calling me a "Fucl"! big_smile
Next one to keep you fine folks guessing:
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh544/Fulcento/vlcsnap-2012-10-13-20h09m33s174_zpsa92a1962.png

Yeah, typo.  Didn't even notice it. lol

As for this pic...dammit, you and your Brit flicks.  I don't know any of those people. lol

Haha, this un is a Scottish, autobiographical coming of age drama by Peter Mullan and I highly recommend it.

British, Scottish, you all look alike. tongue

Is it Neds?