Topic: HorrorFest 2012 Input

The first thing is would you prefer HorrorFest the weekend before or after Halloween?  Vote in the poll.

The second thing is I'm looking at 25-30 movies this year.  We went mostly old school last year, so I'd like to go mostly more current stuff this time, say 2000s.  But I'm still going to stick a few oldies in there.

So, let me know what you want to watch, with these caveats:
1- Try to keep the movies you suggest are easy to talk about.
2- Preferably movies that are not really obscure, so people can get their hands on it.

And please don't blast me with 50-some suggestions, like I said I only have 25-30 slots available.

Thanks,
Azzy

Edit- for those who are new, HorrorFest is a weekend long movie marathon we conduct over Skype.  Every 2 hours we load up a new movie (everyone has to have their own copy), and we chat about the film.  It goes from Friday night until early Monday morning.

Also, I could use a few people for a selection committee.  It helps to balance out my own personal biases, so we get a wider range of films.  And also some people over the pond that could look over the show while I'm sleeping.

This was last year's lineup.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-09-12 07:02:17)

Re: HorrorFest 2012 Input

I'll join in this year smile I voted for it to happen before Halloween but I honestly don't mind, it's on a weekend so I won't be in college anyway.

Some movie off the top of my head:

*Session 9
*The Descent (and/or The Descent 2)
*[REC]. (and/or 2 or 3)
*28 Days Later (and/or 28 Weeks Later)
*House of the Devil
*Wrong Turn (and/or 2, 3 or 4)
*High Lane
*The Loved Ones
*House of 1000 Corpses
*The Devil's Rejects
*The Mist
*Timber Falls
*Cabin Fever

There is just some I can name off the top of my head, and not hard to find.

I would suggest:

Halloween (2007) - I wanted to suggest the original, but you said you did old school last year.
Trick 'r Treat
The Loved Ones
Doghouse
Cabin in the Woods - Should be easy enough for everyone to find, I hope.

Last edited by Ms.Gorefiend (2012-09-12 07:15:32)

^^
I'll will most likely end the Fest with both Halloweens.  Only appropriate.

I like the picks so far!  big_smile

Last edited by azathoth (2012-09-12 07:22:31)

Sounds like a great list to me

I vote to hold it before Halloween as well.  And so far all the movies suggested sound fine to me.  But honestly, so long as the original Halloween is in there somewhere (it's just not Halloween without Halloween) then I'm cool.

I ran through my collection of DVDs and came up with some new ones to recommend:

*Martyrs
*Wolf Creek
*The Orphanage
*The Strangers (not a big fan of this one, but not too bad)
*A Tale of Two Sisters
*Cabin Fever
*The Fourth Kind
*V/H/S (I just remembered this one lol)

Anyway, I named a few for us.

LoudLon wrote:

I vote to hold it before Halloween as well.  And so far all the movies suggested sound fine to me.  But honestly, so long as the original Halloween is in there somewhere (it's just not Halloween without Halloween) then I'm cool.

Yes, yes!

I'm throwing in Grave Encounters.

I'm in if there is a place and if I could make to watch all that movies that that weekend big_smile I would like to suggest :

Slither
Suspiria
Creepshow (1 and 2)
Pet Sematary
The House That Dripped Blood
Tales from the Crypt
Tourist Trap
Orphan
Drag Me to Hell
Hatchet
Insidious
Dead Snow
The Crazies(remake)
Psycho 2
Dawn of the Dead (original & remake)

Last edited by flamethrower (2012-09-12 17:41:56)

Is Dead Snow any good? I just can't seem to take it serious at all, but friends have told me it's a good movie nonetheless.

Like the Trollhunter,Let The Right One In,Dead Snow is also coming from Scandinavia.One of the best foreign horrors imo,balanced mix of horror and comedy.Snow and nazi zombies great combination smile I could put it in the same rank as Shaun of the Dead.

Last edited by flamethrower (2012-09-12 17:57:58)

^^
Definitely Dead Snow.

@Flame - Oh very nice to hear then tongue I'll put it in my Amazon cart and get it soon.

Last edited by Scavenger of Human Sorrow (2012-09-12 18:00:12)

Dead Snow defo. It is in my top 4 horror comedy's. Plus i havent seen it in ages. What about some Vincent Price flicks aswell. Puttin it out there.

Some newer ones that I can think of off the top of my head (That haven't been mentioned) -

Scream 4
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Trailer Park of Terror (Unrated)
Season Finale of The Walking Dead season 2 ? (Or maybe just some WD episodes, since it was a pretty significant thing in horror this year)

^^ Did you just suggest Trailer Park of Terror????

What about Hobo with a Shotgun. Thats good fun. The original Fog is one i need to eventually see aswell.

@Vas- hmm, the original House on Haunted Hill might be a nice one for a retro section of films.

Ms.Gorefiend wrote:

^^ Did you just suggest Trailer Park of Terror????

Oh ma gawad, don't judge me! tongue

I just did. I thought it very entertaining and a lot of fun.

^^ No judgement! I thought I was the only person who actually likes that movie. I can't tell you how many times I've seen it lol

azathoth wrote:

@Vas- hmm, the original House on Haunted Hill might be a nice one for a retro section of films.

What about the original Fly from 58, that would be interesting.

Vas came up with Masque of Red Death instead of HoHH.  Thoughts?

I vetoed Fly (1950) since it's a very slow film.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-09-12 19:36:28)

Some great suggestions and most I'd be on board with! I really wanna see the original HoHH though. hmm

American Wearwolf In London is my must see for halloween along with:

Scream 1-3 and now 4
Final destination series.
The Devils Rejects (I know it's already been mentioned but I wanna give it a vote)
Seen as we're going modern how about some modern

^^
Sorry, but we're not going to be doing entire series, too little space.  I like Scream 4, maybe one of the Destinations movies, probably not Devil's Rejects.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-09-13 04:18:43)