Topic: Joe Dante's Matinee

Saw this for the first time the other day and couldn't believe I had been looking over it.  I am basically in love with all of Dante's films, and though this one isn't exactly horror, it of course is about a Horror Director played by John Goodman shooting a horror film called MANT.  The movie is really interesting because Goodman's character has a tons of tricks that he uses to scare the audience.  Any fans of this movie on this site?  I'm sure there are at least a few.  Scored by Goldsmith as well.  Sort of the last of it's breed as far as 80s style feel good spielberg esque children adventure's go.

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-12 13:04:22)

Re: Joe Dante's Matinee

^^^ Good flick, Dante's loving homage to William Castle.  I thought Goodman was just great in the lead.  I'm overdue for a re-watch myself.

Any fans?

Obviously this is not a horror film, but anyone who has seen it knows why it can and will be discussed on a horror site.  I am a biiiig Joe Dante fan and had recently fallen in love with Explorers, Piranha, the Howling, the Burbs, and of course Gremlins.  Then I stumbled across Matinee starring none other than John Goodman basically playing William Castle.  This movie is a must see for Horror fans, especially horror fans from the early 60s.  Can't help but laugh every time I see Goodman in that first scene on the Coming Attraction.

Topics merged.

Great movie, I really liked it when I saw it.

I remember watching this as a kid. I loved it. I always hoped that somebody would really do that at the movies. Sadly you can't get away with that after the Batman incident. I think I need to rewatch it though. It's been a few years. Every time I was working at the stage I used to work at I'd look at the balcony and wonder how secure it was lol.