Topic: American Werewolf in London Vs. The Howling

Which is your favorite and why?

I am a huge Joe Dante fan which has me leaning towards the Howling a little bit.  The atmosphere at the resort and the antagonist is just a little more frightening than anything going on in American Werewolf in London.  Pino Dinaggio's score is just on another level than what's going on in American Werewolf in London musically.  He scored Carrie and basically every De Palma film.  I do really enjoy how friendly AWIL is.  Starting off with Blue Moon and the great dialogue from the two guys who are about to get mangled these two movies are pretty darn different considering how often they get compared.  AWIL has it's moments of nice gore as well I really go back and forth on this.  Something about Landis' direction I really do like.  It just looks a little better than Dante's.  Dante is hilarious though he literally had the fog pouring in which is something he does on a lot of his films.

While we are at it what are some of your other favorite werewolf films?

I just got Teen Wolf on Blu Ray....

Last edited by ExplorerPOD (2012-09-24 12:37:20)

Re: American Werewolf in London Vs. The Howling

Y'know, seriously, when it comes to these two movies it depends on what I'm feeling that day.  I think the humor is roughly equal in both, performances in both are equally good, and the werewolf FX, while drastically different, are of what I consider to be roughly equal effectiveness.  Landis' technique is more keein in AWIL, but what The Howling lacks in technique it makes up for with a great, pulp feel.

For me it's pretty much a case of apples and oranges.  It's like how a parent loves both their kids equally but for different reasons.

I like both, but I like the howling more.

It blows my mind that these two movies were made the same year.  They are pretty much easily my two favorite Werewolf movies.  I also like Silver Bullet, and the werewolf in Monstersquad is pretty great.

I'd probably go with American Werewolf in London by a margin.

I've gotta agree with LoudLon on this one.  They're both pretty great and it really just comes down to what I'm in the mood to watch.  Since you're asking for a favorite however, I'll give it to An American Werewolf in London, but just barely.

Hmm American Werewolf is one i need to revisit really.

Last edited by Vasquez (2012-09-27 14:25:18)

American Werewolf in London. My halloween must watch.

American Werewolf in London.  I love the atmosphere of about the first half of the movie.  The pub, and the walk after.  Awesome.  Kind of got weaker towards the end IMHO. 

Haven't seen Howling in a long time.  Maybe I need to check it out again.

ExplorerPOD wrote:

I also like Silver Bullet, and the werewolf in Monstersquad is pretty great.

Totally!  Silver Bullet by far my favorite werewolf movie.

American Werewolf in London hands down. It has the BEST transformation scene of all time. It still holds up to this day.

Even thou AAWIL have astounding effects I will choose The Howling

LoudLon wrote:

Y'know, seriously, when it comes to these two movies it depends on what I'm feeling that day.  I think the humor is roughly equal in both, performances in both are equally good, and the werewolf FX, while drastically different, are of what I consider to be roughly equal effectiveness.  Landis' technique is more keein in AWIL, but what The Howling lacks in technique it makes up for with a great, pulp feel.

For me it's pretty much a case of apples and oranges.  It's like how a parent loves both their kids equally but for different reasons.

I've always had a hard time deciding which one I like better.  AWWIL is the technically superior film with the transformation sequence that has no equal; however, I tend to enjoy campy films better, so I lean towards The Howling.  Plus, The Howling is no slouch in the transformation FX dept., and I much prefer the evil wolfmen on two legs over the literal four-legged beast of AWWIL.  Also, you just can't beat the stop-motion werewolves during The Howling's climax.  I can't get enough of classic monster movie FX techniques.

Both are damn entertaining movies, with great transformation sequences, especially AWIL. I like American Werewolf in London more as a comedy than a straight up horror movie. The Howling on the other hand is one of the best werewolf movies around. It's also really cool to see John Carradine again. Both great, but i give the nudge to The Howling.

There is just something so darn raw and dark about the Howling.  I love the Howling because it is Raw, and I love AWIL because it is the exact opposite being directed by Landis.  Still pretty freaking scary though.