Topic: Special Dead?

Does anyone know the status of Special Dead geting released?  I know if has played at a few festivals but last I heard they hoped to have got it out on DVD around Halloween 2006.  Since that was 7 months ago I am just curious if anyone knows the status of this film.  I have been waiting for it since I believe 2005 when a picture of it was in Entertainment Weekly's summer or fall movie preview.   

I know their official website no longer has any information other than a link to their myspace and a contact link. 

I want to see this film!!!!

Last edited by jmh314 (2007-05-20 20:58:10)

Re: Special Dead?

I can't find any info on IMDB or their website.  hmm

Coming up on just under a year gone by since they hoped the DVD would be....::sigh::....looks like I may never get a chance to see this film....

i challenge you all to watch the trailer and NOT laugh
http://www.terrorfeed.com/index.php?id= … ad-trailer

Couldn't do it.  I laughed.  lol

its totally wrong but totally funny to lol.

Yeah, kinda makes me feel guilty.  tongue

The review here on site is awesome.
http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_1138.htm

I got their tshirt with the bloody wheelchair logo rockin a chainsaw.  I love it...I just wish i could get a chance to see it.  sad

I love their myspace too.  The song they have up on it is called "You're all Retarded".  lol

And unfortunately their official site has taken some progressive steps backwards and is a white page with not much on it.  It used to be fully done....not a good sign.

I didnt notice that Meh made a trailer/review thread for it until right now. 

I love the movies tagline too: "Sometimes Heroes Ride the Short Bus"  LMFAO

Yeah, that's classic.  lol

Thanks for this one, I have no idea how I missed it.  Yeah, I laughed and felt guilty too, but this one looks good.

Meh wrote:

i challenge you all to watch the trailer and NOT laugh
http://www.terrorfeed.com/index.php?id= … ad-trailer

lmao....that looks awesome big_smile

haha im glad JMH and I are not alone in our love for the trailer. politically wrong it is but its funny!

I love the t0shirt.  i've had it for like a year and a half.  nothing like walking around with the handicap logo rockin a chainsaw on your chest.

Oh and I dont know if you guys saw the other thread on this film, but I just got a message from the filmmakers yesterday on my myspace saying it should hopefully be out on DVD around October-ish

should tell em to send us an update.. the trailer got downloaded 1,000 times yesterday not shabby at all

Not too bad Meh.  Terrorfeed seems like its blowing up lately.  Congrats.

Yeah, find their myspace and send them a message and see.  They got back to my message fast.  We love to propmote indies around here so maybe they will be kind enough to end us some updates or something.

In case you missed the other thread, Special Dead is being released on DVD in October, preorders are being taken now.  For more info check out the new thread for it:  http://www.horror-movies.ca/Forum/viewtopic.php?id=5505

the guys at Reel horror said the same thing about this movie before they saw it but they said when they watched it, it was a huge disappointment they thought it was poorly made and they used one gag the entire 80mins which got old after the opening credits hmm

beautiful. where the down boys go crazy. If Warrant is not on that soundtrack then someone has made a serious mistake.

Last edited by jpjmoffett (2007-10-06 18:30:32)

skfan wrote:

the guys at Reel horror said the same thing about this movie before they saw it but they said when they watched it, it was a huge disappointment they thought it was poorly made and they used one gag the entire 80mins which got old after the opening credits hmm

And everybody is a critic. The movie is definitely not for everybody, but for Reel horrors semi-negative review, there have been at least ten glowing reviews showing nothing but love for the film.

But that is the way it goes in this business, if we all listened to half-ass critics, we would never see anything we liked.

Trust me, if you like a funny horror movie, then you will like the SPECIAL dEaD, of curse I am biased, but I base this on several great reviews. So read more and check out what more people have to say.

skfan wrote:

Just thought I would throw up this review from CREATURE CORNER, just to show the differences in critics:

FILM REVIEW: 'SPECIAL DEAD' – Creature Corner
By Greg Hansen

Larrs (THE CONVENT) Jackson, Jay Brubaker, Gia (PREMONITIONS) Natale, Amy (MOTHER GHOST) Wade, David (HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES) Reynolds, Carl (DAY OF THE DEAD 2: CONTAGIUM) Storm

Directed By Thomas L. Phillips and Sean Simmons

Written by Jared Tweedie

“Sometimes Heroes Ride the Short Bus.�

I know, I know. I’m going to tell you about a zombie film that takes place at a Special Ed camp. I’m going to tell you about some un-“PC�  comedy. I’m going to tell you about an independent film that, at first glance, might seem like a slew of other independent zombie films. But trust me on this…

We start off with a pair of hikers who come across a screen-door in the middle of nowhere (well, a few miles from Camp Special Dude anyway). This screen-door apparently is the only barrier to a pool of spring water that apparently creates zombies (it’s happened before in this area). One of the hikers has Tourette's syndrome and, yes, he becomes the world’s first zombie with said affliction. Trust me folks it only gets funnier from here.

Camp Special Dude is a camp for special people. Yes. One of them wears a helmet. Yes. One of them keeps glue and Popsicle sticks in his fanny-pack for “projects� . No. Most of the counselors don’t want to be there. But, see, bored counselors means sex. Right? Exactly.

Luckily this particular camp is run by one “Snuff�  Stone (Larrs Jackson) who’s been through a zombie outbreak before. Because all Hell’s about to break loose. His son nunchuk-wielding son and wheelchair-bound daughter, with the help of a very out of place hoodlum, must fight their way off the mountain and try to save the campers in the process.

“You ever ridden on a zombie horse before, son? I have. It ain’t fun.�

The situation and dialogue are what set THE SPECIAL DEAD apart. Jared Tweedie threw caution to the wind and brought us some damn funny stuff here. There’s a little song one of the counselors sings at the campfire just before the zombies arrive that is truly wrong.

It works. THE SPECIAL DEAD is the funniest horror film I’ve seen since SHAUN OF THE DEAD. Seriously. Just sit back, suspend your “Defense O’ Meter�  and enjoy the show!

AND HERE IS AN OTHER ONE TO WET YOUR WHISTLE

New Review...THE SPECIAL DEAD by UndeadFilms
Posted by Ryan1 on March 18, 2006

Check It Out

Thursday night I was lucky enough to view The Special Dead, the new zombie comedy film by Thomas Phillips and Sean Simmons. What can I say? The Special Dead is a great movie. The story takes place at a summer camp for ''Special'' boys and girls. The camp in owned by a hardass old dude with a 12 gauge shotgun and he runs the camp with his wheelchair bound retarded daughter Dale and his nun chuck twirling badass son Mac, plus a few staff members. There is one problem about this camp and the area around it, the water is tainted and turns people into flesh eating zombies. The owner of the camp knows this (that’s why he got the land so damn cheap) so when things start to get strange he knows whets up, then he takes up into arms with the other camp members to fight the zombie horde off into the night.

The Special Dead has some great acting including horror vet Larrs Jackson (The Convent and also just finished up a film with UF's very own SixStrangSmoker). The gore is great in this film; it’s a gorehounds wet dream! There are nude girls in it also! What a great recipe for a horror movie. Yes this film doesn't hold back. The Special Dead also has some firsts in this film.
So when The Special Dead comes out go and fucking see it!

Last edited by tstreetfilms (2007-10-06 18:36:28)

My review is up.  You can find it here.  Lets hope it makes sense cause i got a little tired towards the end of it.  You can check it out here:  http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2827.htm

Thanks again to the director Thomas Phillips for supplying me with an early screener copy to get a review up before the DVD release.  I had a good time watching this and wish you continued success in the future.

jmh314 wrote:

My review is up.  You can find it here.  Lets hope it makes sense cause i got a little tired towards the end of it.  You can check it out here:  http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_reviews_2827.htm

Thanks again to the director Thomas Phillips for supplying me with an early screener copy to get a review up before the DVD release.  I had a good time watching this and wish you continued success in the future.

Thanks for getting the review, not a bad review at all. I can live with 7 out of 10 skulls any day of the week. I think you nailed it on the head when you said it is just a fun time. That is why the movie was made. So people can sit back, throw their sense to the wind and have a great time laughing and watching zombies. We never pretended we were making a masterpiece, especially on our budget, but man do the audiences love this film, never heard a bad thing from anyone really.

Thanks again.

Thomas

Weeellll, I just cannot wait for the DVD release of this. It may be a one trick pony to some, but that trick is funny as hell.:lol:

DVD released.  You can buy online.  First batched shipped and were received by most before Halloween. It isnt in stores like Best Buy or Amazon or anything though,  You gotta buy it through the link on their webpages.