Re: Worst horror film franchises.

^^ Ugh, I sure hope they don't make Ghostface one of Sidney's relatives a vengeful astronaut.

"Ghostface in the SpaceHood."
I think I'd dive out a window.

When I think of the worst horror franchises, to me that means a franchise consisting of at least two movies in which EVERY movie has been rotten.  So while a series like Sleepaway Camp has a couple awful sequels, at least the first flick was done moderately well so you can't really call the entire series bad.  Same for Puppet Master, Hellraiser and some others mentioned.

That in mind, I'd say there's not a single good film in any of the following series IMO:

Leprechaun series
Jack Frost series
Bloody Murder Series
Scarecrow Slayer series
Paranormal Activity series
Troll series

Those are the only ones which immediately come to mind, though I'm sure I could rattle off some more if pressed.

^^
I was using the 3 movie standard, so I left a bunch out.  I was trying to think of how many good movies in a series does a franchise need to not be bad?  The first Silent Night, Deadly Night and Witchcraft (or was it Witchboard?) were good, then went phhhtttt.

@Az - I didn't mention the Asylum franchises because I wouldn't even call them films.

^^
Well, they are a visual medium put onto TV... but yeah, pretty much!  lol

^ lol

Funny thing, way back before I knew of Asylum I saw one of their franchises. It was the Paranormal Activity rip-off, what's it called again? Paranormal Entity or something? It was super cheap too, like three movies for €10 and I was like

"I can't turn down that deal, they can't be THAT bad - at least one of the movies will be good"

...I was wrong.

^ Paranormal Entity wasn't to bad, I enjoy little parts of it, No as good as PA.

Saw (love the first, hate the rest)
Prom Night (same as the saw series, love the first hate the rest)
Leprechaun

No mention Killjoy yet lol
Some reason Terror Toons have 3 movies

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick015.gif

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick015.gif

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sick029.gif

^^
Oy, it has 3 now?!  Gotta track down 2 & 3, they have to be spectacularly bad.

Well, YouTube has TT2 at least.  I'll save that for when I do something really bad and need to be punished, lol .

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-14 03:49:39)

Leprechaun, for sure. Seen 3 of them, and the space one was an abomination.

I disagree with saying Final Destination is down there with the worst; I wouldn't even consider it bad. I really enjoyed the 1st and 2nd, and the 5th was actually pretty good too. 3rd was ehh, and haven't seen the 4th.

I never really liked any of the Friday the 13th flicks. The first two were decent, but not much more in my eyes.

Saw as well, great first flick, but the sequels stunk.

I remember sitting in on a conversation between two grown men who were watching Paranormal activity Together (1st half the first night. then our talk, and they were finishing the movie that following evening).  They were both talking about how freaked out they were. About a week later, I reluctantly gave it a shot....when watching a movie on fast-forward to get to the good parts doesn't even work...something's really wrong...why do people still watch this?  Annyoing as hell.  I bet it's an inside joke between the film producers.

^^
I totally agree with PA #1.  The 2nd and 3rd films spruced up the action some, but were still largely dull.  As long as the movies make money, that's all that matters.  There are exceptions, of course, with some directors and producers that want to craft a quality film.  But most producers are all about the bottom line.  Which is a fine business decision, but can whack the artistic merit into the garbage pail.  Besides the MPAA (a whole other story), there is a reason there are theatrical and director's cut of DVDs.

Agreed Az.  I tend to fall pretty far on the Artistic side. Watch a lot of Arthouse short horror and whatnot.  I know it's smart business...but if people are paying to see that...you'd have to think they'd pay to see something a little more original.  Drag me to hell had a similar Idea...it just went somewhere with it.

^^
So true.  Raimi has a combination of passion and skill that not a whole of others do. I'm so used to the knowledgeable people here that I can get blown away by non-horror fans.  For example, I started the "What is Found Footage" thread because a local reviewer called The Ring a found footage film, and my mind boggled.

People, in general, don't like change.  So if they liked Fuzzy Monkey Bunny, they'll go see #2- #8.  Bringing out something fresh is a gamble.  Will people like this new idea?   Notice how Cabin in the Woods was marketed- safe... normal kids in a cabin flick.  Then they flipped it on it's side, but that part was never in the promos.

Last edited by azathoth (2012-10-17 08:16:46)

Sci-fi stuffs:

Child's Play: Chucky go to space!

Hellraiser: The ultimate sadomachism of science (?)

Halloween: Michael V.S. Astronaut!

ANOES: Freddy chillin' in space.

Psycho: Norman Bates become a dangerous spaceship captain

The Lost Boys: Space + Vampires

Final Destination: Dead to the Astronauts.

^^
You can add Armageddon to that list.  What, you folks think Ben Affleck (AFLAC!) isn't horror?

To stop seriously:

-Final Destination

-Scream only a lil' bit

-The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

-Friday

-ANOES got that sucky last film

-CoTC

-Hellraiser I don't even want a remake of that bull**** first film

-Saw is ultra lame at the last

-Somebody also should stop Resident Evil and the Dead of G.A.R. All these zombie film franchises...

The Grudge remakes

Yeah these Ju-On and The Grudge also need to stop now.